Rocket Science - or what to remember when planning a rocket launcher platform

Hi, 

In this thread I would like to collect useful information of the current state on ONISO rocket science. If you can answer these questions, please reply:

- how tall can the tallest rocket become in this configuration? If I want to set up a rocket silo for the tallest possible combination from bunker doors to rocket base, how much space needs to be reserved?
My calculation for the largest rocket is: With maximum 7 modules for petroleum and hydrogen engine your rocket can be  2+6x5 = 32 tiles tall. Correct?

- Do rockets still have a 3x9 cone of heat that needs to be handled, and if so, does the radbolt engine produce heat and//or radiation in its cone? 

- Do you have a solution for overheating cockpits?

-  do you have good layouts for life support systems on a cockpit?

1 hour ago, SchlauFuchs said:

- how tall can the tallest rocket become in this configuration? If I want to set up a rocket silo for the tallest possible combination from bunker doors to rocket base, how much space needs to be reserved?

33 tiles is the highest the rocket itself can be. I usually reserve 36 tiles (2 for platform + 34 for rocket) at the top of my base.

The highest modules are 5 tiles high, and the highest module count you can achieve is 7. The reason it's 33 rather than 35 is because a nosecone is required, and the tallest nosecone in the game (Solo Spacefarer Nosecone) is 3 tiles high.

- Do rockets still have a 3x9 cone of heat that needs to be handled, and if so, does the radbolt engine produce heat and//or radiation in its cone? 

Yes, rockets do create a massive amount of heat both in their immediate vicinity (in the form of very hot gas) and the tiles under them. The radbolt engine will add germs to the tiles beneath it (which is actually not a bad way of farming radbolts)

What I usually do for rockets is overpressurize them with O2 via the canister emptier and avoid using power inside wherever possible. High gas pressure gives the command module much more time until the temperature becomes dangerous, and having that much oxygen in there basically solves the breathing issue (if you don't mind the 20 stress/cycle from popped eardrums or use an atmo suit to disregard it). With oxygen out of the way, all that's left for me is to set up is a fridge set to 5-25kg of long-lasting food like grubfruit preserve (so I don't need to plug it in) and an outhouse so the dupes don't soil their suits and get stressed out.

8 hours ago, SchlauFuchs said:

32 tiles tall. Correct?

It's even 31, because spacefarer module is 4 tiles tall. Rocket platform shows warning, if it's less than 32 tiles.

8 hours ago, SchlauFuchs said:

I just put there storage compactor with oxylite and oxyfern in planter box to remove CO2. No overheating issues so far.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:07 PM, Electroely said:

33 tiles is the highest the rocket itself can be. I usually reserve 36 tiles (2 for platform + 34 for rocket) at the top of my base.

The highest modules are 5 tiles high, and the highest module count you can achieve is 7. The reason it's 33 rather than 35 is because a nosecone is required, and the tallest nosecone in the game (Solo Spacefarer Nosecone) is 3 tiles high.

Yes, rockets do create a massive amount of heat both in their immediate vicinity (in the form of very hot gas) and the tiles under them. The radbolt engine will add germs to the tiles beneath it (which is actually not a bad way of farming radbolts)

What I usually do for rockets is overpressurize them with O2 via the canister emptier and avoid using power inside wherever possible. High gas pressure gives the command module much more time until the temperature becomes dangerous, and having that much oxygen in there basically solves the breathing issue (if you don't mind the 20 stress/cycle from popped eardrums or use an atmo suit to disregard it). With oxygen out of the way, all that's left for me is to set up is a fridge set to 5-25kg of long-lasting food like grubfruit preserve (so I don't need to plug it in) and an outhouse so the dupes don't soil their suits and get stressed out.

what about food poisoning germs after they use the toilet?

I keep my cockpits chilled by filling with very cold oxylite.

46 minutes ago, Aussieguy said:

what about food poisoning germs after they use the toilet?

curative tablets.  Takes up less of your precious cabin space than a sanitizer station or sink and they're cheap to produce.  1kg coal and 1 kg water.  Also, if you keep things cold enough, then germs aren't a problem either.  

On 4/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, NewWorldDan said:

I keep my cockpits chilled by filling with very cold oxylite.

curative tablets.  Takes up less of your precious cabin space than a sanitizer station or sink and they're cheap to produce.  1kg coal and 1 kg water.  Also, if you keep things cold enough, then germs aren't a problem either.  

Or just don't bother. Food poisoning is weak

On 4/5/2021 at 5:25 AM, SchlauFuchs said:

- how tall can the tallest rocket become in this configuration?

I fear that all math in this thread can be put into dust bin - rockets are now being reworked, from maximum module count to maximum height. I would expect the values to change in the future during balancing tweaks

Pathing to the nose cone can get frustrating... I had a nosecone on top of Co2 engine and no matter what I did I couldn't get the dupes to enter the cone. (They ended up pissing in the water supply on the newly settled planet.) I finally rebuilt a module between the two and magically I could enter the nosecone again.

-6x6

(reload fixed it) Its a pathing problem when you deconstruct a middle module.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:07 PM, Electroely said:

What I usually do for rockets is overpressurize them with O2 via the canister emptier and avoid using power inside wherever possible.

Today I learned that algae terrariums do not overpressure. I set up a terrarium in my nosecone, kinda forgot about rocketry for a while, and then came back to find 41kg/tile of pure O2 filling the place (as well as about 2000kg of bottled p-water that had to be labour-intensively disposed of).

Question: does anyone have a good way of loading plastic into the nosecone for orbital research? I don't have space for a storage bin. I thought I was being very clever by cramming the few available niches with plastic ladders for in-flight deconstruction, before a research orbit had to be embarrassingly aborted after I discovered my researcher dupe had Unconstructive so couldn't deconstruct them. :ambivalence:

36 minutes ago, Tsabo said:

Question: does anyone have a good way of loading plastic into the nosecone for orbital research? I don't have space for a storage bin. I thought I was being very clever by cramming the few available niches with plastic ladders for in-flight deconstruction, before a research orbit had to be embarrassingly aborted after I discovered my researcher dupe had Unconstructive so couldn't deconstruct them.

Had that exact scenario happen to me too.

If you need to load plastic but you really don't have room in your rocket at all, you can deconstruct something currently there, make a storage bin and fill it with however much plastic you need, destroy it and rebuild whatever you had before. As long as your dupes don't have a storage bin to put that plastic back in, it'll stay there and you can do your orbital research.

On 4/5/2021 at 2:07 AM, Electroely said:

What I usually do for rockets is overpressurize them with O2 via the canister emptier and avoid using power inside wherever possible.

I just use some solar panel modules combined with battery modules

Archived