Wes rework

1 hour ago, pedregales said:

[1] Yes, that is the point of playing Wes. But having a character that takes longer to do so many things, while being able to do nothing else well... Yeah, that is the problem Wes has for multi-player, and I expected his re-work (if this is really it) to alleviate it. I am disappointed on the re-work, even if I don't mind how it ended up.

i was expecting more balloon tools but atleast now a veteran player can bring more things to their team. The chopping and mining nerf isnt noticeable

1 hour ago, pedregales said:

[2] Yeah, I was considering that use (decoration). Even then, it is a pretty pointless change overall, as that could be easily circumvented with a mod, which many decorators use anyway for more decorations. This change is going to be noticeable only for decorators that don't like/use mods (except for a few key mods like geometric placement) and console players. Which I believe should still be a large portion of people.

because that is the only use that balloons really have??? well you can use them as bait but you dont need 100

now, if you dont like to decor with more than 100 of them since is a pointless change, you can instakill bosses if you have the patience to farm sanity food and craft +10000 balloons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It’s still Sunday, and Easter Holiday at that.. Klei doesn’t usually retweak characters until the Week days.. I’m gonna wait till Monday-Thursday to see What (if Anything) changes about the Wes rework.

But at the very least- that other “thing” should be going into Beta phase soon.

I'm surprised people think Wes was nerfed considered there are good reasons to use Wes now besides the character's personality. He now brings a lot of interesting things to the table instead of just being 75% Wilson (beardless edition). Yeah he has less stats, but he was already terrible in that department and now at least he has other benefits

His kit does basically everything you want for a vet character to play with someone new. You can craft a walking stick substitute day 1 to kite better and walk faster, you can manipulate your sanity around fast and easily and provide infinite sanity to buddies so they don't drop dead from the first shadows they see, hounds focus you (wish the weighting was higher though) instead of them and you get a lot more usage out of staffs and other hard-to-replace tools and weapons. Animation cancelling makes you about equal to a new player for mining/chopping speedwise too.

I'm interested in what they might possibly tune but I like how he turned out.

@pedregales You misunderstood. The sanity gain caps at 20 over 10 seconds and is achieved with 6 balloons/players. That means you need 6 balloons or 6 players (theoretically; obviously you cannot restore players' sanity if there are no players and you cannot restore their sanity if there are no balloons) or a mixture of both. 2 players + 4 balloons, 3 players + 3 balloons, 4 players + 2 balloons, 5 players + 1 balloon.

It's just with more players, you need fewer balloons, so lower sanity cost, which means higher net sanity gain. (The spawned in characters do count for that effect, you just hit the cap.) 

On 4/4/2021 at 8:57 PM, Does said:

I'm surprised people think Wes was nerfed considered there are good reasons to use Wes now besides the character's personality. He now brings a lot of interesting things to the table instead of just being 75% Wilson (beardless edition). Yeah he has less stats, but he was already terrible in that department and now at least he has other benefits

His kit does basically everything you want for a vet character to play with someone new. You can craft a walking stick substitute day 1 to kite better and walk faster, you can manipulate your sanity around fast and easily and provide infinite sanity to buddies so they don't drop dead from the first shadows they see, hounds focus you (wish the weighting was higher though) instead of them and you get a lot more usage out of staffs and other hard-to-replace tools and weapons. Animation cancelling makes you about equal to a new player for mining/chopping speedwise too.

I'm interested in what they might possibly tune but I like how he turned out.

I'm surprised anyone thinks Wes getting oneshotted, starving in 8 minutes, going insane almost immediately, mining slower, chopping slower, smashing slower, freezing faster, overheating faster, having a harder time with hounds, getting struck by lightning more often, and being more susceptible to sleep is a buff because he can make a 2 minute long version of an item that you get a permanent version of after about 20 days.

48 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I'm surprised anyone thinks Wes getting oneshotted, starving in 8 minutes, going insane almost immediately, mining slower, chopping slower, smashing slower, freezing faster, overheating faster, having a harder time with hounds, getting struck by lightning more often, and being more susceptible to sleep is a buff because he can make a 2 minute long version of an item that you get a permanent version of after about 20 days.

it's all about those speedrun strats ;>

53 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Yes? Because it’s better than what he had before his rework: which was just being all around bad at everything all the time with nothing of value to offer a team.

Now he has Speedy Balloon (not everyone in the servers getting a Walking Cane in first Winter sorry bro) 

Now he has party Balloon (significantly less useful way of restoring Sanity then Sisturn or Walter stories or traditional Sanity Methods.. but it’s still something he has now he did not have before)

Balloon Hat (useful thing to give to other players to assist with things like wetness there may be higher tier crafts you can make later but.. Wes’s version doesn’t require any extra or hard to get ingredients all you needs some Sanity!)

Then there’s also the Balloon Vest: I’m just gonna be honest: this one seems like a useless complete waste...... but- I don’t crash many boats so I wouldn’t know.

Faster freezing and overheating works BOTH Ways- you may freeze faster but at the same exact time you can warm up faster.

Hounds chasing Wes is hardly even noticeable they are so easy to distract with some other mob that they’re really a passive threat.

Slower Chopping, Mining etc... Haha dude... he’s literally about as slow at these things as Wendy so I don’t notice much difference.

The one thing I can’t find a purpose or use for: More likely to be struck by lightning... why? Just why???? Is Klei’s intention that he’s a kind hearted soul with nothing but bad luck?

Cause if so I’m gonna be a Wes main from now on #Story of my Life.

I genuinely don’t understand what purpose being more likely to be struck by lightning does... it DOES NOT Save forests from going up in flames, it COMPETES AGAINST trying to Charge WX78... 

I genuinely think Klei just went one step too far on trying to make him “the challenge character”

And if that was their approach- why didn’t they give him Wickerbottom downside of Spoiling/not fresh foods reducing sanity?

The more likely to be hit by lightning just sounds like it’s there for the LoL’z

Unless I’m genuinely missing something.

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The one thing I can’t find a purpose or use for: More likely to be struck by lightning... why? Just why???? Is Klei’s intention that he’s a kind hearted soul with nothing but bad luck?

Literally, yes. That was the entire theme of his background animation. Wes suffered and in such ended up helping everyone else around him. He has horrid luck but because of that others benefit from it. The lightning is supposed to represent this, as he gets struck by it by being unlucky, but that means that the others are less likely (hence a theoretical boon).

I'd honestly adore if they went whole hog on Wes in that department more. Have him suffer in exchange for making everyone else have a better time, instead of just a bunch of general penalties. It'd be an interesting approach honestly.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now he has party Balloon (significantly less useful way of restoring Sanity then Sisturn

The Party Balloons restore more sanity than the Sisturn and in less time to boot.

The Sisturn restores 25 sanity per minute or 0.41667 sanity per second.

At their weakest, Party Balloons restore 0.5 sanity per second. At their strongest, they restore 2 sanity per second.

The Sisturn takes 480 seconds (a whole day) to bring you from 0 sanity to 200 (the usual max). Party Balloons can achieve the same thing in 100 seconds.

Archived