My only issue with the Wes update

I love the new crafts but I dislike the nerfs, please set it back to normal but without the faster hunger rate, Wes is now even more useless because of this rework. Are reworks not supposed to make them BETTER? Please can you not nerf Wes? Don't take the nerf Wes jokes seriously you have made Wes as weak as Maxwell. :apologetic:  I love the updates for him as you used my ideas for the tools just please reconsider fixing the nerf... :cry:

2 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

No, they're meant to make characters more interesting and engaging.

Yeah but they made a lot of people upset by changing his health and sanity including me, I was fine with his stats and I wish they just removed the hunger thing to make it better I would of been happier. I love everything else about the rework apart from the nerf to his stats.

45 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Yeah but they made a lot of people upset by changing his health and sanity including me, I was fine with his stats and I wish they just removed the hunger thing to make it better I would of been happier. I love everything else about the rework apart from the nerf to his stats.

so you only want buffs when a lot more people wanted wes to be more challenging

So, you are not happy with stat changes. Does it mean you are okay with the "less-efficient at chopping/mining/hammering" feature? I think the only problem with this rework is that. 20 chops for a fully grown tree? [I cannot imagine the pain people that get used to woodie speed will experience :D

That does not make Wes more interesting or challenging. That just makes it more time consuming and boring.

34 minutes ago, Talep said:

So, you are not happy with stat changes. Does it mean you are okay with the "less-efficient at chopping/mining/hammering" feature? I think the only problem with this rework is that. 20 chops for a fully grown tree? [I cannot imagine the pain people that get used to woodie speed will experience :D

That does not make Wes more interesting or challenging. That just makes it more time consuming and boring.

I would change it to "falling tools off of his hands hurting him" fits more being unlucky and not so handy and also, with 75 hp, you would need to be carefully

Wendy and Wes are both about equal when it comes to mining & chopping.

Wes’s lower health, sanity and hunger are hardly noticeable at all.. 

But I’m glad they finally fixed him: If he’s supposed to be challenging then he shouldn’t have higher stats then any other character.

7 hours ago, Talep said:

it is more thematically appropriate is what it is. i chopped trees back when i was still bodybuilding and i have chopped trees long after life and a bad case of 'grandpa gut' got me and i assure you it takes a lot longer to chop now than it did then. being a frailer weaker person would make it more difficult to do manual labor(something i expect to see with maxwell eventually as well given he is canonically quite frail too) and therefore would take more time. it is supporting evidence for that juicy juicy lore we just got

21 minutes ago, gaymime said:

it is more thematically appropriate is what it is. i chopped trees back when i was still bodybuilding and i have chopped trees long after life and a bad case of 'grandpa gut' got me and i assure you it takes a lot longer to chop now than it did then. being a frailer weaker person would make it more difficult to do manual labor(something i expect to see with maxwell eventually as well given he is canonically quite frail too) and therefore would take more time. it is supporting evidence for that juicy juicy lore we just got

I agree that it makes sense IRL. It just does make it unfun in-game. I'm one of "those" people who believe games don't have to be realistic at all.

I played a lot of wes in basegame and Ive been really enjoying his rework, he works better with others now which is kinda crucial to a multiplayer game. Even if he has his downsides it just means that having others help you means more to the Wes player now.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Wes is now even more useless because of this rework.

I initially also thought that but after playing around with him I can say that he is definitely a lot better and a lot worse at the same time. His stat nerfs are huge and make him a lot harder to play, and his various other downsides also affect him to various degrees.

But after playing around with him and thinking about it I think he's no longer exclusively just a challenge character. For singleplayer games it would at least be arguable, but in multiplayer (especially public servers) I think he offers more to the team than Wilson would, assuming the person playing Wes is competent. His only downsides outside of making him harder to play are fights and gathering taking between 1x and 1.33x as long as it would with a standard character.

But his upsides actually exist now. Items he use last between 1x and 1.33x as long as they would on a normal character (e.g. ice/fire staff gets 7 extra uses, and spiders/hounds die in 2/3 hits regardless of you dealing 51 or 68 damage with a dark sword so his dark sword would just last 33% longer in those situations) which isn't amazing but it's certainly helpful. He can make spalloons which offer an average of 20% movement speed for their 2 minute duration, and he can give them to anyone. He can make a vest & hat which don't do much. But most interestingly out of all his options are what I underestimated the most, his party balloons.

With the party balloons Wes has ultimate control over his sanity, at the cost of time. He can

• Give infinite sanity to other players for free (other than time) which can be very helpful with bad teammates.
  • Convert excess sanity (e.g. from wearing a tam o' shanter) into an item form, every time I've played recently I've ended up with hundreds if not thousands of sanity lying around the base and other various areas.
  • Do things that lower sanity for a minor time penalty instead of sanity penalty (e.g. make all his sanity into balloons, eat infinity bluecaps, then spend 10-50 seconds getting it back).
  • Not only farm nightmare fuel whenever and wherever he wants for no cost, but farm sanity while doing it. With other nmf farmers they're only getting nmf from killing the shadows since they just delete their sanity again after killing them. But with Wes he converts the 15 sanity from horrors and 30 sanity from terrorbeaks into balloon form, able to end his nmf farming at max sanity for only the cost of time standing in the balloons, and have many extra balloons lying around for him or anyone else to use whenever they want.

Before Wes' rework I hated playing as him, but I never wanted him to be buffed because he was the only dedicated challenge character remaining. But this rework is surprising and turned him from my least favorite to currently most favorite character to play. They've both made him more difficult and more useful, but his upsides aren't that useful to himself and they're not immediately obvious.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, Pinkamena11FazP said:

you have made Wes as weak as Maxwell.

Maxwell is one of the strongest characters in the game.

Archived