Klei should add more in game method to recover from griefers attack.

Instead of roll back which is basically time travel.

Vs base burner:
Add repair option for burnt structure. Instead of having to hammer them all, you should be able to repair burnt structure if you have the raw materials of the 1/2 resource and have learnt to build and can build the structure. Wearing construction amulet will repair them with 10% amulet durability.

Vs unrenewable destroyer/hider:
Make them all renewable, via rare way, example, planting a seed have 1% chance for them to grow grass or sapling or berries. This would be much more fun. The only way to obtain seed now is via bird drop naturally, and you cant mass farm seed anymore, so this should be a good way to renewable grass/sapling.
Anenemy, bull kelp stalk, sea sprout starter should have a rare chance of dropping when you open ocean treasure chest. Reed should regrow like how light bulb regrow.

What I ask for is to make griefing act make less impact on the game, which make griefing less fun for griefers. Have you ever ask why none of the griefers target your pinecones chest with 360 pine cones?

1 hour ago, Tranoze said:

Add repair option for burnt structure. Instead of having to hammer them all, you should be able to repair burnt structure if you have the raw materials of the 1/2 resource and have learnt to build and can build the structure. Wearing construction amulet will repair them with 10% amulet durability.

Hey, this is actually an amazing idea! I can't think of a way it is broken or OP. If you wanted to hammer them you could, and if not you could just fix them.
Also, there aren't many mechanics around burnt objects/structures other than ashes, lightsource, heat and hammering. This would be a good update.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:30 PM, Well-met said:

what's the point of fire as a world threat if you can just CTRL+Z everything then?

Fire would still be exactly as threatening as it is now. He's asking that instead of hammering the structure to regain 50% materials, then spending those 50% plus your own 50% to put it back, you can just use a repair option to spend that extra 50% to put it back. It's exactly the same as it is now, except you don't have to spend time fiddling around with getting the placement perfect again and if it has a skin on it from someone who left it'll still have that skin.

40 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

First griefing post that isn't dumb nonsense.

Fire would still be exactly as threatening as it is now. He's asking that instead of hammering the structure to regain 50% materials, then spending those 50% plus your own 50% to put it back, you can just use a repair option to spend that extra 50% to put it back. It's exactly the same as it is now, except you don't have to spend time fiddling around with getting the placement perfect again and if it has a skin on it from someone who left it'll still have that skin.

I see, thank you.

The big question I have is whether a feature to repair with 50% resources would be really used. What level of damage would you deem repairable but not rollback for?

I'm imaging the situation is a major base fire, and at which point you've probably lost enough nonrenewables / resources to the fire alone that continuing on is probably not realistic even if fixing everything was more convenient.

Two ideas I had:

Firestarter Protection: A debuff which prevents players from hammering structures or burning anything. It should be applied by:

• If players rejoin, for 5-10 seconds (The only cases where the debuff can be lethal are if you join during winter on daytime (no free heat provided) or with enough wetness (the free heat won't be enough to keep you warm, although that can be avoided by drying up before leaving), in any other case the only reason for burning or smashing things might be griefing)
  • During a votekick for the duration of the Votekick (Most players enjoy it to burn a few structures before votekick passes)
  • By the player with the highest daycounter on anyone if he doesn't have the rights to kick players (To prevent worlds with only one remaining player from being griefed easily, they are easy targets for most griefers)

Drop Items on Disconnect: Introduce a 'None' setting and change the 'Default' setting from 'Never drop items' to 'Drop items unless you have admin rights'.

• It might actually be a nice option for public servers: Players will be able to enjoy public servers and once they're done enjoying it, they'll drop their items for the next players to enjoy.
    But sadly none of the public severs uses it right now.

Base Burner: Hey, Non-Renewable Destroyer, this new anti-griefing update is pretty good! Due to my damages being repairable, the odds that my grieifing actually affects the player instead of them rolling back has increased! 

Non-Renewable Destroyer: Huh... don't you usually just hammer the stuff you burn anyways?

Base Burner: I guess so... how was your nerf?

Non-Renewable Destroyer: Negligible, i usually just hide the eye-bone and glommers flower anyways. I hope these dorks have fun having to dig up saplings and grass tufts out of their farm plots.

You can add as much "griefing protection" as you want, but it will only serve to encumber the game. It will always be inferior to the all-reliable Rollback. The people who really tweak about griefers already have a modest catering on the workshop with mods that actually work to defend against griefers.

2 minutes ago, SuperMeatGoy said:

The people who really tweak about griefers already have a modest catering on the workshop with mods that actually work to defend against griefers.

Im literally the one made that mod, and even fighting with them all those years, there are still ways to griefs undetected. They join when you not online, they burn base when you not there, and by the time you noticed it already too late to roll back, and often in those world, they have no way to recover because bunch of unrenewable resources are destroyed.
Which, can somewhat say those griefer successed, and that will motivate them to continue grief other worlds.
If everything they grief can be recover/renew? Heck us will farm for them to grief, because farming and grinding is somewhat fun for us. You burn one grass? we ll farm 10 grass. You burn one chest? we ll build 10 more chest. You destroy one base? we ll build 10 base all around the map.

Just now, Tranoze said:

Im literally the one made that mod, and even fighting with them all those years, there are still ways to griefs undetected. They join when you not online, they burn base when you not there, and by the time you noticed it already too late to roll back, and often in those world, they have no way to recover because bunch of unrenewable resources are destroyed.
Which, can somewhat say those griefer successed, and that will motivate them to continue grief other worlds.
If everything they grief can be recover/renew? Heck us will farm for them to grief, because farming and grinding is somewhat fun for us. You burn one grass? we ll farm 10 grass. You burn one chest? we ll build 10 more chest. You destroy one base? we ll build 10 base all around the map.

Well the niche problem of getting attached to dedicated servers is a you problem. Mods are how these kind of problems are solved, not by making annoying mechanics to bother the majority of players that just play on a private server with friends.

7 minutes ago, SuperMeatGoy said:

Well the niche problem of getting attached to dedicated servers is a you problem. Mods are how these kind of problems are solved, not by making annoying mechanics to bother the majority of players that just play on a private server with friends.

Only the weakling play private server which you can just c_godmode() and c_give() whatever problem come up with. And those mechanic i asked are not annoying but actually helpful to anyone want to build a base or repair it, but only annoying to griefers, unless you are a griefer yourself dont want these mechanic to be add.
For example, a base burner have to hammer everything after they burn, which cost them 10x more times to grief, while the base builder cost 1/3 of the time to repair the damage done by them.

1 minute ago, Tranoze said:

Only the weakling play private server which you can just c_godmode() and c_give() whatever problem come up with. 

Only a weakling does those commands in the first place. If you really need to play a public server in order not to cheat you have some sort of problem. These mechanics would only be helpful for you and your personal problems, don't accuse me of being a griefer because of your obnoxious and frankly ineffective ideas to counter something thats already a non-issue in the sense that it has already been solved to the highest degree without sacrificing the quality of the game. 

3 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Try play in klei public for real and you ll realize they are real problem and there are people suffer about it. In which point the mechanic i asked affect your gameplay in bad way anyway?

Thats the risk you take in pubs lol. It has been known since Don't Starve Together came out that not everyone is friendly on their pubs, it's even shown in the trailer.

With one hammer you can get rid of seventy five burnt structures. Getting a hammer wouldn't "increase the griefers cost 10x". All you would need is one hammer and a torch, still incredibly cheap and all their resources would be at the base being destroyed. Even if all they did was burn the base, the damage is still halved and I'm sure 95% of players would still ragequit if their base got burnt. If you have time to burn everything and not get banned you have time to hammer the structures as-well. Your seeds mechanic is not only redundant because of world regrowth but also annoying because people will end up growing saplings or berry bushes in their farm plots when they are trying to get farm crops. The sea chest mechanic would end up diluting the sea chest loot table with items that the loot-receiver would have no purpose for.

Forums like this need pushback or else brain-dead ideas like this get accepted.

4 minutes ago, SuperMeatGoy said:

Forums like this need pushback or else brain-dead ideas like this get accepted.

Renewable mechanic is something klei have been adding alot recently and i love them. Rocky turn no longer unrenewable. You can farm thulecite without resetting ruin. You can get stone fruit from earth quake if someoneelese arleady burnt all of them. 
If you think griefer hammering burnt structure didnt do anything then you are wrong. Normally it base builder who have to hammer them, now the griefer have to do it for the base builder, a win-win for me.

14 minutes ago, SuperMeatGoy said:

Getting a hammer wouldn't "increase the griefers cost 10x".

Im not talking about the material cost. Im talking about the time. A griefer only need one torch lit to burn whole base, while to hammer them, 74 as you said.

2 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Renewable mechanic is something klei have been adding alot recently and i love them. Rocky turn no longer unrenewable. You can farm thulecite without resetting ruin. You can get stone fruit from earth quake if someoneelese arleady burnt all of them. 
If you think griefer hammering burnt structure didnt do anything then you are wrong. Normally it base builder who have to hammer them, now the griefer have to do it for the base builder, a win-win for me.

You're delusional and obviously not getting the point that Klei's mechanics aren't forced and redundant like yours. If a griefer hammering all your structures was a "win-win", you wouldn't be whining about how pubs are so merciless & that griefers are a real problem.

6 minutes ago, SuperMeatGoy said:

You're delusional and obviously not getting the point that Klei's mechanics aren't forced and redundant like yours. If a griefer hammering all your structures was a "win-win", you wouldn't be whining about how pubs are so merciless & that griefers are a real problem.

I hold world record for 10300 days in klei public. Hammering and burn base are the most basic type of griefer we deal with every day, to the point that we prepare materials before time to rebuild base right after the grief. You have no idea how advanced they become just to grief your base.
If you still think burning other people base is a legit mechanic to the game, then im convinced you are griefer yourself.

Just now, Tranoze said:

I hold world record for 10300 days in klei public. Hammering and burn base are the most basic type of griefer we deal with every day, to the point that we prepare materials before time to rebuild base right after the grief. You have no idea how advanced they become just to grief your base.

over 10,000 days on a public server. Yep, your ideas are definitely presented to help the average player defend against griefers and not fuel your personal obsession with trying to milk a pub long past it's due date.

It's a non-issue. No one gives a **** how long you megabase on a pub, it doesn't suddenly make your idea not redundant or annoying.

A guide how to hostage Klei Official server 10k days

Step 1 : Dig ALL grass tufts and block portal with moonrock wall to kill new player

20200224233156_1.thumb.jpg.a466da52f26f11a38b0dee4379416e12.jpg

Note : They also dug ALL the grass tuft in cave too FYI.

Step 2 : Block touchstone with fossil so they can't get out and died from starvation

5e4f88ac6ad8b_ScreenShot2020-02-21at14_36_52.png.1db154b9686d732b1db2b27547c35f23.thumb.png.f31b2b46f3bbc2340968f155172dcaf6.png

Step 3 : AFK script eating to make sure world not regen when everyone dies

Note : This video didn't take place in that 10k catcoon den world but still same dude and same method. Just want to show how afk script works. He also did this in 10k catcoon den server.

Step 4 : After get high enough day count post in the Klei forum to show off to everyone

Step 5 : If someone start to say something bad to you proceed to defend each other, pretend to be nice, welcome everyone into the world and help new player do everything like an angel.

Such skill Much WOW

I'm so proud of you.  xD

3 hours ago, Tranoze said:

If you still think burning other people base is a legit mechanic to the game, then im convinced you are griefer yourself.

Anti-grief suggestions aside, there is obviously something cheesy with using scripts to keep a server alive that long. By default it makes any days played count meaningless if they were just on a bot.

Realistically, renewables don't actually mean renewable. The amount of effort it takes to remake the amount of resources lost is time-prohibitive. If someone torches your 20 grass tufts and 10 berry bushes and it takes 5 hours of real-time to recoup that from seeds, the amount of people that would do that is virtually zero when rollback solves the problem without that excessive amount of tedious work.

My big issue with anti-grief methods is they have to be useful to the average players that would encounter griefing and be effective enough to make rollback unnecessary. Adding more sources of resources won't do that, and the only real effect the majority of games would see would be having more resources from seed drops.

I'm not opposed to having more things fall under the regeneration umbrella though. Having trees regenerate but not reeds is odd.

Now that we are talking about griefers

Let's say I want to play with my friend but none of us can host our own world with our potato computers and the only public server in our region was held hostage by a group of jerks. They try their hardest to kill any new player who join the world both directly and indirectly.

You guys got any Idea how to deal with hostage griefers ?? :)

Archived