Can't generate world with everything turned off

I wanted to set every world setting to "none" but whenever I try to start the world, I get stuck at this screen (20 minutes and nothing has happened)

image.thumb.png.c96240cd6cd02d2ad88d8f71abf1f327.png

image.thumb.png.72b2a85b0bc73ff2e71cd9f04f34a965.png

Even weirder, if you turn caves off the world actually starts to generate but it never generates you just get stuck on "generating world" forever

I don't know if this is a bug or if it is just my game specifically that is broken. Is anyone else able to generate a world with everything disabled?

I should look that up.  I tried to do a sparse, rather than TOTALLY empty, world once (everything set to "less") but that still wasn't what I was going for, but none is...NONE, and I have no idea how that works.

Another time I tried for a mostly-empty world but with meteors turned way up, so it'd be like an apocalyptic "blasted heath" kind of a thing.  

And then another time, I tried turning off all the NORMAL settings but using mods that generate fruits and veggies for the only food. That was the time I survived until my first hound attack, and the green tea-catcoons from "Teas and Trees" saved me.

greenkitties.png.70decd5c171985d4dca8ee0be1c71022.png

Good kitties.  :)  (This would be from before the hounds, obviously, since it's only Day 4.)

But in general I've never quite managed actually _surviving_ in a properly nothing world.  I should watch those videos for ideas.

...Notorious

none worlds are indeed good for creative builds but they are also the games hardcore mode. this will (very slowly) regen so the world will not remain desolate forever but on day one there is generally less than 50 objects in the entire world and unless you play as webber or woodie you are wholly dependent on rng for the first week(and even as woodie it is still pretty rng heavy). there are people who have done it though ^^ not just orangE but also Le Rafistoleur and Wambachaka  have done none worlds with the latter having made a proper base by day thirty, hahaha it is definitely a marker of skill and perseverance and a deep understanding of the game's mechanics

This problem is not new, and I already reported a bug a week ago, it's status is "fixed". Before that I solved the problem by cancelling world generation and relogging, new world appeared after that sometimes. Also you can try disable everything but selestial fissures - it helped me.

Side note: if you enable "tons" of clockworks, at least in caves they are still everywhere (double bishops guarding cave exits and rooks murdering bunnymen are nostalgic to see).

Edit: not a long time ago hotfix was released, in which bug of infinite worldgen screen due to kelps set to "none" was fixed, so you may need to just update the game.

• Developer
10 hours ago, Ornge said:

I wanted to set every world setting to "none" but whenever I try to start the world, I get stuck at this screen (20 minutes and nothing has happened)

image.thumb.png.c96240cd6cd02d2ad88d8f71abf1f327.png

image.thumb.png.72b2a85b0bc73ff2e71cd9f04f34a965.png

Even weirder, if you turn caves off the world actually starts to generate but it never generates you just get stuck on "generating world" forever

I don't know if this is a bug or if it is just my game specifically that is broken. Is anyone else able to generate a world with everything disabled?

This might be fixed now, if not please upload the log file for when the world generation looped infinitely

12 hours ago, zarklord_klei said:

This might be fixed now, if not please upload the log file for when the world generation looped infinitely

alright thanks, the problem seems to be fixed now

On 3/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, gaymime said:

there are people who have done it though ^^ not just orangE but also Le Rafistoleur and Wambachaka  have done none worlds with the latter having made a proper base by day thirty,

Do these people have playthroughs on YouTube or (saved!) ones on Twitch that I could watch?  I am curious.  I also heard long ago about someone who did a "DO Starve" challenge, but that video was apparently long gone by the time I got there, so if you know where one of those still exists, that'd be awesome too. :)

I don't know if I could do that myself, but it appeals to my minimalist, "do a lot with a little/work with the cards you've been dealt" mentality I have sometimes.  Maybe a (much!) Less world, with lots of meteors and lightning, long winters and not much daytime for an apocalyptic nuclear-winter feel, or something.  I'd definitely take screenshots if I managed to make any progress.  : P

...Notorious

Oh!  Oh _that_ one.  Yeah I saw that, but um...this is gonna make me sound really picky but I can't watch gameplay videos that have absolutely no narration.  I move around the room sometimes/am not always looking directly at the screen, especially with longer videos, so it helps if I can at least vaguely keep up with what's happening in audio form.  (Also half the reason I watch non-expert Let's Plays instead of just walkthroughs, is because of _funny_, casual commentary.  But I don't REQUIRE humor.  Just _some_ kind of talking.)

I got all the way through the intro and there hadn't been a single sound besides the game sounds so...I bailed. Sorry.  It is a FOUR HOUR video, after all...  I've watched silent movies (like, the actual ones, from roughly the 1900's--1920's), and I can keep my eyeballs on the screen for as long as _they_ last, which is usually less than two hours.  But four...?

(Edit:  Yes I DO realise the irony of not wanting to watch DS/T as a silent movie, considering its time period.  : P)

...Notorious

Archived