MUSHY GNOMES a guide to your own army of fun-guys (New perk idea for Wormwood)

I believe Wormwood to be almost perfect save for two things:

1. Lack of unique plant interactions

2. Lack of an advantage in battle

My idea to merge both has resulted in the form of MUSHY GNOMES. 

Please note: This is more or less a rough idea of how Wormwood can benefit from a minion related perk. I want the "Lonesome" to be less... lonesome. I hope you enjoy my silly idea and how Wormwood can be opened up to all sorts of wonderfully unique perks. 

MUSHY GNOMES: After trading with the mush gnome (one living log) Wormwood will obtain a mushroom "growth". Wormwood can then plant this in a mushroom planter before any spores are applied (only works on spores). Once the spore has grown, Wormwood will notice tiny blinking eyes from the fungi-party, which is of course full of fun-guys. Once picked the little mushes will jump out and cling onto Wormwood where only 6 can occupy his body at one time. Unsure if other survivers should benefit.

Small non-cannon lore: The "growth" is a small flesh growth that later separates and becomes another mush gnome (when attached to a mush gnome). 

RED MUSHY GNOMES: Whenever Wormwood attacks an enemy in close proximity (after some time) one of these will jump from Wormwood onto the enemy and explode. Since wormwood can "reload" from nearby planters the damage will be reasonable. 

BLUE MUSHY GNOMES: Whenever Wormwood takes damage they absorb a small flat amount which results in them falling off and perishing. 

GREEN MUSHY GNOMES: Whenever Wormwood stops moving they will climb off, form a circle around Wormwood, and begin singing as they spin around him. Providing Wormwood does not move they will slowly increase his sanity. If the player moves they will jump right back onto of him. If Wormwood moves too fast they will be unable to jump on him and instead give a frantic chase. Some green mushy gnomes will trip and die.

In an attempt to keep this short in regards to "why" a combat perk should be given to character like Wormwood, I will say this: Every character deserves a small role in every field, a philosophy that has so far been reflected in-game. IMO there are two major roles in this game, which are combat and exploration. So far in every rework characters have, to some degree, benefited with some perks to both categories. Warly broke the mold first and Id like for Wormwood to follow.

10 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

1. Lack of unique plant interactions

Except for Lureplant, Sea Weeds and all of the Farm Plants and Weeds.

10 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

2. Lack of an advantage in battle

He can achieve a more or less permanent +20% speed boost, which makes kiting significantly easier, he can basically produce Dark Swords out of thin air (well, out of 5 rot, technically) and his Bramble Traps and Husk are lowkey amazing at clearing crowds of weaker enemies, such as spiders, bees and shadow splumonkeys.

He's also one of the most mechanically complex characters in the game. He definitely doesn't need yet another complex mechanic.

2 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Except for Lureplant, Sea Weeds and all of the Farm Plants and Weeds.

Are those really unique interactions though? They're just not hostile. Same for weeds... Not sure how being immune to them, in other words having NO interaction,  qualifies as an interesting interaction.

He can achieve a more or less permanent +20% speed boost, which makes kiting significantly easier, he can basically produce Dark Swords out of thin air (well, out of 5 rot, technically) and his Bramble Traps and Husk are lowkey amazing at clearing crowds of weaker enemies, such as spiders, bees and shadow splumonkeys.

The darksword thing is no longer unique unfortunately now that living logs have become more abundant thanks to mush gnomes. Speed in my opinion is not enough. Bramble traps and husks are great but need an update. Not sure if you have played Wormwood for very long but the practicality of the bramble husk is mostly great on paper. Its durability runs out quickly and the amount of damage the wearer has to receive every time is annoying. You're better off using other means like a houndious late game. Both of these items usefulness drops off quickly in the mid game. Don't use rot to heal either, turn it into compost first.

He's also one of the most mechanically complex characters in the game. He definitely doesn't need yet another complex mechanic.

Wait, how is it complex? Its not too different from normally growing mushrooms... Just one added step? This is a strange remark coming from you, who has figured out the intricacies of farming. That is far more complex in comparison. As a Wormwood main I can tell you he is a very, very simple character. If you are referring to his blooming mechanic, that involves remembering like two things. Also, this idea is more of an example as I noted. If anything the problem is that it tries to do too much.

I don't see any issues with this other than these two:

1. Wormwood is a locked character, and providing him with this complicated battle advantage may raise complaints, and a lot of requests to add more unique battle abilities to all characters, which will slowly transform DST into a mainstream MMO RPG.

2. The Gnomes should not explode on enemies, because DST doesn't have such mana based magic in its world! That would totally be confusing; Instead, they can confuse or blind the enemy for a short period, or leech very small amount of health from them. (Anything planty!)

50 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

I don't see any issues with this other than these two:

1. Wormwood is a locked character, and providing him with this complicated battle advantage may raise complaints, and a lot of requests to add more unique battle abilities to all characters, which will slowly transform DST into a mainstream MMO RPG.

That's the thing though, every character thus far has received a battle related perk in their rework. Willow has bernie, Abigail was mega buffed, Winnona got catapults, Warly has insane damage potential, etc. I think its too late to think to think the game isnt becoming mainstream. Klei is making the game easier and easier to allow a more casual crowd.

2. The Gnomes should not explode on enemies, because DST doesn't have such mana based magic in its world! That would totally be confusing; Instead, they can confuse or blind the enemy for a short period, or leech very small amount of health from them. (Anything planty!)

Its not powered on mana? You would collect 6 from the planter so you would only have 6 at your disposal. Think of it as the current way bee mines spawn bees. Once the bees are spaned you get no more. But im not too attached to this idea, I just want Wormwood to have some sort of minion perk similar to how he can herd snaptooths to create killing fields. He can currently utilize bees in spring to some extent but they move around a lot in comparison to snaptooths. And lureplants are hard to come by in large quantities in the early game.

5 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I think its too late to think to think the game isnt becoming mainstream. Klei is making the game easier and easier to allow a more casual crowd.

Mainstream games are exactly opposite of casual, they all look same, have almost same UI and character behaviors; I've seen the exploding minion plant projectile like you suggested, in many RPG games, or at-least stuff similar to that. There is nothing wrong with improvement or even merging ideas, but there is also nothing wrong with keeping it original.

14 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I just want Wormwood to have some sort of minion perk similar to how he can herd snaptooths to create killing fields.

I agree, that would be really cool, even seeing Mandrakes, I think of them as potential followers/minion of Wormwood, so why not make something up for him? The minion's behavior should not be exploding tho, that doesn't make fictional sense.

4 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

I agree, that would be really cool, even seeing Mandrakes, I think of them as potential followers/minion of Wormwood, so why not make something up for him? The minion's behavior should not be exploding tho, that doesn't make fictional sense.

Toadstool has exploding mushrooms and spores. Mush gnomes are living sentient mushrooms. It can exist in the game, I think.

3 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Toadstool has exploding mushrooms and spores. Mush gnomes are living sentient mushrooms. It can exist in the game, I think.

That would suggest Wormwood has a connection with the same magic underground mobs use, meaning he is probably corrupted. (Should've stayed alone.)

Hey that can be a good refresh idea with a Corrupted Wormwood skin. (You know as long as you keep it with the lore, or keep lore with it, it's Ok.)

27 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

That would suggest Wormwood has a connection with the same magic underground mobs use, meaning he is probably corrupted. (Should've stayed alone.)

Hey that can be a good refresh idea with a Corrupted Wormwood skin. (You know as long as you keep it with the lore, or keep lore with it, it's Ok.)

Oh he certainly may have some hidden connection. Wormwood is from the moon! Although it is unclear if the only lunar power may have been to bring him to live. It begs the question if wether or not he could use some of this energy without hurting himself or shortening his life span. Hopefully Klei decides to explore his lunar origins a little more. 

Edit: Correction, Wormwood is mostly from the constant. His gem is from the moon.

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wormwood is his best stage, no need for more buffs

he has good fighting perks and good perks in general

maybe klei will add more plants in future updates

Though a character may seem complete I don't think that's grounds to keep them from getting more perks. Especially if that makes a character more interesting.

When Warly got 20% damage pepper spice would you say he was complete? Yes. Did he get more? Yes. Voltgoat jelly.

Then was Warly complete? Yes. Did he get more? Yes. Salt, though its not the best, more is more.

Was that it for Warly? Probably not. He was just recently indirectly buffed by RWYS. He may even get more food buffs/ spices down the line.

When Wendy was able to unsummon abigail where more buffs needed? Maybe. She got them.

Once abigail could gain night damage during the day was that it? Could of been. Then abigail got even more in the form of a shield she never "needed".

Was abigail then in a great place? Yes. Still, Wendy got a sisturn.

Was that it? No. Abigail buffs the damage of others and herself.

Wendy got her own mob only she can interact with. Something id like for Wormwood to have also. A mob designed specifically for him.

There is no reason why a character cant become more diverse. A buff is not necessarily for the sake of just buffing your favorite character. Wormwood has two niche crafts and ONE good perk (blooming). His ability to gain easy darkswords is not even unique anymore. And his farming niche is long gone, thank god. He does not have an apparent inclination to a specific field as of yet. He can become so much more.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:41 AM, HowlVoid said:

Though a character may seem complete I don't think that's grounds to keep them from getting more perks. Especially if that makes a character more interesting.

When Warly got 20% damage pepper spice would you say he was complete? Yes. Did he get more? Yes. Voltgoat jelly.

Then was Warly complete? Yes. Did he get more? Yes. Salt, though its not the best, more is more.

Was that it for Warly? Probably not. He was just recently indirectly buffed by RWYS. He may even get more food buffs/ spices down the line.

When Wendy was able to unsummon abigail where more buffs needed? Maybe. She got them.

Once abigail could gain night damage during the day was that it? Could of been. Then abigail got even more in the form of a shield she never "needed".

Was abigail then in a great place? Yes. Still, Wendy got a sisturn.

Was that it? No. Abigail buffs the damage of others and herself.

Wendy got her own mob only she can interact with. Something id like for Wormwood to have also. A mob designed specifically for him.

There is no reason why a character cant become more diverse. A buff is not necessarily for the sake of just buffing your favorite character. Wormwood has two niche crafts and ONE good perk (blooming). His ability to gain easy darkswords is not even unique anymore. And his farming niche is long gone, thank god. He does not have an apparent inclination to a specific field as of yet. He can become so much more.

I really wish more people realised this and stop asking for reworks to be so minimal, reworks aren't just purely to buff characters, its to make them more diverse, interesting and fun to play. I won't derail this thread as well but one certain rework didn't provide any of that and every other thus far has.

Webber DEFINITELY needs an overhaul and some new abilities/craftables/whatever. All he currently has is his beard, monster status/friend of spiders and making/upgrading spider dens, oh and eating raw MM. Befriending and getting spiders to come out during the day is problematic (I know there are workarounds but as the Spider character he should seriously just be able to knock on the Nest to get them to come out) and hes a little basic/boring to play.

Just like Woody, Wendy and Warly every character deserves to be expanded on and given new abilities/unique craftables/structures to make them more interesting, just because they are already good doesn't mean they shouldn't still get a decent rework.

10 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Just like Woody, Wendy and Warly every character deserves to be expanded on and given new abilities/unique craftables/structures to make them more interesting, just because they are already good doesn't mean they shouldn't still get a decent rework.

I really disagree with the Woodie part! Woodie already has 3 unique transformation abilities we don't see from any survivor, they provide Battle fun, Exploring fun, and Gathering fun, has a Buff ability, making him chop faster, and an unlimited Axe that is also a companion and talks with you!

It couldn't get more diverse than that if you look at other characters, and as a Woodie main, I'm totally having fun playing as it; My prediction is any kind of changes to Woodie right now will ruin it.

52 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

I really disagree with the Woodie part! Woodie already has 3 unique transformation abilities we don't see from any survivor, they provide Battle fun, Exploring fun, and Gathering fun, has a Buff ability, making him chop faster, and an unlimited Axe that is also a companion and talks with you!

It couldn't get more diverse than that if you look at other characters, and as a Woodie main, I'm totally having fun playing as it; My prediction is any kind of changes to Woodie right now will ruin it.

Sorry that isn't what I meant! I was saying that other characters deserve reworks like woodies not suggesting further changes to him.

4 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Sorry that isn't what I meant! I was saying that other characters deserve reworks like woodies not suggesting further changes to him.

Right sorry, I misread that. *Facepalm*.

Totally agreed, looking at some characters, they look really dust covered compared to others.

Archived