Renewable source of super coolant

1 hour ago, P4inful said:

The tiny amount on the "water" planetoid just isnt that much.

Tiny...?

Lets say you find 10t of graphite (depending on the seed it could be more than 20t). You can make 11t fullerene (11.111kg to be exact). For every 1kg you can make 100kg supercoolant. That means if you can dig every bit of graphite, under all the tones of water, of an unlucky seed spawning only 10t, you will have 1111 tiles of supercoolant (1000kg per tile).

Tiny?! Finite amount ... maybe. But definitely not tiny  :lol:

I'll admit that's not tiny :D but it still stresses me out quite a bit that if I happen to waste some I might be limited in my builds:D

and it might actually be a nice challenge to pull the heat out of smth like liquid graphite with an enormous heat capacity

1 hour ago, P4inful said:

it might actually be a nice challenge to pull the heat out of smth like liquid graphite

Liquid...? Should I tell you or let you burn...? :lol:

Spoiler

Graphite melts to refined carbon, refined carbon then melts to carbon at 4326.9 C

You can check that in the in-game database

image.png.24c28452e9f810bce8ddbf44c14366f7.png

I don't think graphite is meant for anything other than making fullerene. Although it is too early to conclude what anything in this point of the DLC is meant for.. You can experiment and let me know ;)  (I haven't travelled to water planet yet.. :???: )

How about adding a molecular forge recipe like:

5kg graphene + 95kg refined carbon -> 100kg graphite.

Basically, copying the tungsten -> niobium transmutation thats already possible.  That way supercoolent stays gated behind finding graphite, but there is a renewable cycle once you have some.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:17 PM, P4inful said:

I'll admit that's not tiny :D but it still stresses me out quite a bit that if I happen to waste some I might be limited in my builds:D

and it might actually be a nice challenge to pull the heat out of smth like liquid graphite with an enormous heat capacity

+1000 tons for the suggestion, I like water. My idea of the ideal developed water world.

image.thumb.png.529deec35f6ccf1bf0e2aad072dfe5c8.pnghomerdonot.gifimage.png.b8d52f217119ffd9d95d8137692f9c66.png

On 3/3/2021 at 6:04 PM, P4inful said:

Hello,

i'd like a renewable source of either graphite or fullerene. Maybe a vent or a geyser. The tiny amount on the "water" planetoid just isnt that much.

What about "Graphite Rain" :confused:

In the game the graphite rain could be spewed out of some industrial building or rain on to the asteroid. Perhaps we could have several weather conditions per planet, where various materials rain down ?

Maybe raining graphite, iron splinters, uranium, lava, coal or whatever... could also create electric storms on asteroid surfaces with electric discharges and lightning :confused:

lightning.gif  Material rain causing electric discharges on asteroids

waterrain.gif Asteroid water rain or other fluids ... @Ipsquiggle

...could also create serious colony flooding if no proper airlock had been built by the player :afro:

On 3/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, sakura_sk said:

Tiny...?

Lets say you find 10t of graphite (depending on the seed it could be more than 20t). You can make 11t fullerene (11.111kg to be exact). For every 1kg you can make 100kg supercoolant. That means if you can dig every bit of graphite, under all the tones of water, of an unlucky seed spawning only 10t, you will have 1111 tiles of supercoolant (1000kg per tile).

Tiny?! Finite amount ... maybe. But definitely not tiny  :lol:

While there is a LOT of graphite, I'd still prefer if there was less of it on the map, but a way (moderately complicated) to make more. I like industry 

29 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

While there is a LOT of graphite, I'd still prefer if there was less of it on the map, but a way (moderately complicated) to make more. I like industry 

I find it difficult enough to mine as is (I wasn't able to try it yet in survival). 

15 hours ago, Unfawkable said:

They made isoresin an interesting challenge. You need to build a farming colony to feed the tree. Nioubium requires some extreme temperature management. Graphite doesn`t look interesting as of yet and is the only unrenewable one. I`d like if it was more interesting in some way.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:15 PM, sakura_sk said:

I find it difficult enough to mine as is (I wasn't able to try it yet in survival). 

It is a bit of challenge to mine graphite. The water pressure is so high it breaks the transit tube connector tile. I did not experiment to install multiple connectors to drop pressure on each one but simply refused the idea to use the transit tube. 

I used robominers but finally built an undersea mini-base.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e0b237dcbeff550106f10f5d91b3fc1c.png

47 minutes ago, KonfigSys said:

It is a bit of challenge to mine graphite. The water pressure is so high it breaks the transit tube connector tile. I did not experiment to install multiple connectors to drop pressure on each one but simply refused the idea to use the transit tube. 

I used robominers but finally built an undersea mini-base.

I now find it easier to sent some rovers if I just need the graphite. If you need an underwater base, things get tricky... 

A blob of air could protect your transit tube connector from breaking. It would be a little difficult to build underwater but not impossible (a little diagonal building of a gas vent surrounded by metal tiles perhaps..?)

Spoiler

image.png.423a482356ecf7a2a32d4011905b8d57.png

*just a sandbox example to show what I mean

I tried diagonal building but the pressure worked laterally also and broke the tile after a while (just held for several cycles).

The trick is probably to have the blob of air!!! Having the underwater base removes the need for the transit tube. Once in a while dupes can move to the surface using the ladder.

1 hour ago, KonfigSys said:

Once in a while dupes can move to the surface using the ladder.

Oh! Is that the "airlock door" mod? I was wondering why the door was lime and not yellow :-D (also why the base doesn't flood every time the door opens...)

On 3/30/2021 at 4:31 PM, sakura_sk said:

Oh! Is that the "airlock door" mod? I was wondering why the door was lime and not yellow :-D (also why the base doesn't flood every time the door opens...)

Yes, it is the airlock door mode. One can use the standard door and have a pump at the bottom to pump out any water leaking while the door opens.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:32 PM, babba said:

image.png.0f698c20494ceb7d55e7145f6166a732.png

Great underwater base, really cool :excitement:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f6cc94ba9eae91f09661361e05799706.png

Thanks. Here is the final look. Extracted all graphite.

The ocean should be great for fish farming but they warm up the water. I had about 100 fishes and temperature started raising so the cool polluted water vent was great to have in the biome.

Archived