Ambient Music Similar to ONI for DST or Consistent Music Option

As a content creator DMCA music is a huge problem so I always like to listen to my Spotify on my phone while having in game DST music. However sometimes the music in DST does not consistently play leaving dead silence sometimes. I would love to hear music similar to ONI soundtrack in DST or even the ability to have the DST soundtrack play consistently without stopping.

ONI soundtrack is nice to listen to but it does not really belong with DST but if we had something similar we could transition from I would love to have that especially while making large bases in DST.

Let me know your thoughts :) 

Just now, AllFunNGamez said:

Yes something similar to this but DST music style. I love the background style music for gameplay.

Yes, in fact when it was first uploaded I was also wondering about how great it'd be to have that but DST.

1 minute ago, Clifford W. said:

I don't think that's possible without composing new music it's a nice suggestion for the game though.

no, the video was just the game's soundtrack, the already existing music.

Also, I remember a comment on that video asking about the very same thing, whether they'll do one for DST as well, and Klei said something like "maybe". Lemme look it up

It should be rather dynamic changing depending on situation

like if you got closer to boss the music would get tenser but thats alot of work for that

Game really lacks it the only time you hear music is Combat/Working/Farming

ambient music would give it more feel especially if it were dynamic but thats really matter of time when they add such thing.

The game just feels a bit meh without it

I agree, we need something for those long breaks between music bursts, but I have a pet peeve for lingering ambient musics, especially for a game that I play for hours non-stop! After some time (depending on the individual) the music will turn into annoying noise.

It can all be solved by an "Ambient Music Volume" setting tho.

Personally I would just love to have music always playing in game (and I believe that's what this post is asking for)

The working music is nice, but it does kinda give me a headache coming in and out like that depending on what I'm doing. So having just constant music with no dead space would be nice.

I know there are a few music mods on steam that change the music, and have the option to have them always playing. And it's actually really enjoyable to have that.

Only issue is that it might be a little annoying only having the same 4 working songs playing all the time instead of only during short periods. And their higher energy may not fit with say... Sitting at a fire for the night. So.. they MAY need to make new and fitting music for this which may not be worth it unless they open up to allow community submissions or something.

Well, I dunno if I would call it "ambient" exactly, but if you want DST-fitting music to play during the dead silent parts of the day--which are a good chunk of it (dusk AND night) you could always try out the Dusk and Night Music mod?  Of course if you're on console you can't use mods, but I myself have used that one for  years, and it helps a lot during, for example, the LONG dusk in springtime.  It won't fill in the gaps in the daytime, though, but it's something.

The  music itself is basically remixes of the original tracks, so they still sound/feel DST-ish, with the dusk ones being somewhat toned down and the night ones being the musical equivalent of "Sssshh--someone's sleeping". But they STILL sound like the original.  Even the really quiet version of the springtime music is still lively, just quiet.  It's kinda too bad that summer dusk is so short normally, 'cos that track is pretty dope, and the winter dusk track is really pretty.

Don't know if you can use that, but it might be worth looking into.  There's both a server and a client version.

...Notorious

1 minute ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well, I dunno if I would call it "ambient" exactly, but if you want DST-fitting music to play during the dead silent parts of the day--which are most of it (dusk AND night) you could always try out the Dusk and Night Music mod?  Of course if you're on console you can't use mods, but I myself have used that one for  years, and it helps a lot during, for example, the LONG dusk in springtime. 

The  music itself is basically remixes of the original tracks, so they still sound/feel DST-ish, with the dusk ones being somewhat toned down and the night ones being the musical equivalent of "Sssshh--someone's sleeping". But they STILL sound like the original.  Even the really quiet version of the springtime music is still lively, just quiet.  It's kinda too bad that summer dusk is so short normally, 'cos that track is pretty dope, and the winter dusk track is really pretty.

Don't know if you can use that, but it might be worth looking into.  There's both a server and a client version.

...Notorious

Oh yeah, that mod is pretty sweet, however I did find that it kinda messes with some of the other music. For example I couldn't get the Lunar Island working theme to, uh, work with this mod. Also Crab King's theme is for some reason replaced by the Epic Ruins track. But, I do love the fact you can actually configure the mod making it so the working music plays constantly, except when other tracks should be playing, obviously

ONI has dynamic music which changes if you open overlay it fades the important instruments and keeps the one that can be heard most.

Same could be done with DST but it would change depending if you were close to enemy/shadow

or depending on which season it is.

It would be cool addition and would surely fill Don't Starve's Soundtrack

What do you think @ADM about this

5 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Personally I would just love to have music always playing in game (and I believe that's what this post is asking for)

Problem is, it will be fun for anyone liking constant music, but will be game-breaking for the ones annoyed by it; I'm a big fan of having hundreds of detailed settings at options menu, for every game!

2 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

Oh yeah, that mod is pretty sweet, however I did find that it kinda messes with some of the other music. For example I couldn't get the Lunar Island working theme to, uh, work with this mod. Also Crab King's theme is for some reason replaced by the Epic Ruins track. But, I do love the fact you can actually configure the mod making it so the working music plays constantly, except when other tracks should be playing, obviously

The mod developer mentioned it does not include newer tracks and that its before RoT

Btw in ONI you don't have a 3D? open-world like DST, neither you have that many chores or stuff to do, the focus is often on a single job and place, that's why music is there to keep you company all the time.

1 minute ago, Chesmu said:

Problem is, it will be fun for anyone liking constant music, but will be game-breaking for the ones annoyed by it; I'm a big fan of having hundreds of detailed settings at options menu, for every game!

Not what I meant by "always" but okay

Yes it would have to have a toggle.

I ment "always" as it not ONLY playing when chopping a tree

The idea of the ambient music would be two options

A volume slider like the others called Ambient Music Volume

and option to either  toggle it on or off

The music would play at random times or you could change how periodically would it play with the music changing depending on season or the situation if you were in caves near boss or near ruins but would change to the classic Working/Combat/Farming music if the certain action would be done.

Dynamic Music would be amazing we cannot have studio quality tier music cause we all know how much space that takes and Klei cannot really do that they have to save space but it would be nice addition to have such thing in DST like feature brought from ONI but made with DST-ish soundtrack.

I'm pretty sure Vince de Véra would love to have more music in the soundtrack.

I wish it was easy to write the music but its not it really depends on how would it be implemented then the music tracks would scale with that it's best for the devs take notes from our suggestion and tailor the Ambient Music into the game everyone would be satisfied with.

I might have an idea here, thing is music in the game is only played when a specific action is started, work themes when you get busy doing something, then the song is different based on the location, season, and bunch of other things, when the action is performed the music will play for a little moment but if interrupted (cause you do something else requesting another music / stop), so most of the time music pass out very fast.

So what if we had better music and sound configurations in the game, if you look at the game options there's just settings, then graphics, it surprised before but there is no "Audio" categories, if there was one that would both help to sort options a little better and probably deserve a bunch of new options :

Just like, deciding how musics behaves : Should they play longer ? Loop all times until a new one get played ?
And maybe control audio of different song categories, I know for example that  @Notecja
and I would like an option to cut the menu musics exclusively, loops are often a bit short and when I remain around the menu for a long time I just get insane quick and mute the game. xD

1.thumb.png.ddec0329b11dac40f1047d6022545728.png

Just the ability to control music playtime would be a great QoL thing, at least for me, we've recently made a music on one of our mod and I'm a bit saddened I have to keep crafting and cut trees so it plays ^^', It's configurable technically from audio files but would be great if every players could get their preferences at least.

Spoiler

The song of the mod if you wanna listen to it btw :)

@ADM I know you have new music producer and i do believe youre happy with him anyways back to the point.

It's really about how everyone wants it like cause some people might complain then the way it is there could be several options and i dont know if you agree with me the sound releated stuff should be moved to new Audio tab just like Graphics has its own tab.

You could have options to make it how long you wanted or if you wanted it to loop and how periodically would it play

It's so much code and so many options we could have but it would have to be so everyone can make it the way they want it and would love it.

As long ambient music will not be 20 seconds of loop, then why not. Most problem with DST music I have, it just.... a... short... loop, which usually plays like "Did you chopped a stick? Now is a time for work music! Oh, you planted a one tiny seed? FARM MUSIC, ohno spider, fight music, but boss because you have a one chilling treeguard nearby!".

And most sad are caves and ruins, because not only their loop is super short, but also all same all year...

2 minutes ago, Clifford W. said:

It's really about how everyone wants it like cause some people might complain then the way it is there could be several options and i dont know if you agree with me the sound releated stuff should be moved to new Audio tab just like Graphics has its own tab.

G8gF7rV.jpg It's literally what I've said.

Archived