QoL and UI Improvements?

I’m excited about the Spaced Out DLC and have been keeping an eye on it since it was announced, but I’m hesitant to play it since it’s still being developed and I’m not a big fan of alpha/beta experiences. I also don’t like the fact that activating/deactivating this DLC currently requires reinstallation of the entire game.

However, I am a huge fan of QoL and UI improvements. For those who have been playing Spaced Out, can you please explain if the latest version contains significant QoL and UI improvements compared to the base game?

I’m approaching turn 200 in my current colony in the base game (I’m not sure on the exact count, but this is probably my 6th or 7th colony since I first started playing ONI), and I’m debating if I should continue with it or if I should give in to my curiosity and activate Spaced Out to start a new colony with it.

On the one hand if I continue with my existing colony in the base game, then by the time I’m done with it Spaced Out will be more polished with more content and therefore be an easier transition. On the other hand, if I make the mental switch to Spaced Out now even though it’s incomplete and relatively buggy, then maybe I can enjoy an ONI experience with more QoL and better UI sooner rather than later. 

I’m reluctant to ‘just try it out’ because I know that it will probably be very difficult for me to return to the base game once I start playing Spaced Out; which means that if I do try it out but determine that I’m not happy with it yet, then the most likely outcome is that I will simply stop playing ONI completely until Spaced Out is finished - an outcome that I’d prefer to avoid since I really enjoy playing ONI.

I look forward to responses to my question and to other related feedback from this awesome community. Thanks!

Yeah... like @The Plum Gate mentioned it will be start over again and again for the DLC until they finish any worldgen changes and even after that if they think something still needs fixing. So...if you prefer to have one colony and continue with it for 500-1000+ cycles, I would also advise you to wait until DLC is more polished/finished. If you don't mind playing the first 100-300cycles of different colonies again and again while things often break, you can try it. I don't think there are so many QoL/UI improvements that you would dislike returning to base game, although to be honest I haven't tried it...

3 hours ago, Racso5 said:

can you please explain if the latest version contains significant QoL and UI improvements compared to the base game?

They added drag tool area, now when you dig the game shows you how many tiles you selected. Helps if you want to dig big room that is exactly 96 tiles.

They also added option to re-build last selected building, even if you closed building menu. Very handy.

There are also improved notifications and you can select what resources you want to track on the side screen. Cool stuff!

I'm still waiting for deconstructable POI...

Anyway - the DLC is great, new QoL are really nice, but this day is a bad day to start new game, worldgen will change a lot in the future. I wait with new game myself, only checking new items in sandbox mode (omg, there is so many new good stuff!)

I can`t tell you guys how eager I am to play the final DLC and base game "fuze" :lol: with a stable new savefile system !

The internal ONidiction is rising !!!!!!

image.png.2519c0fd2007e927c3a8dee515b68643.pngimage.thumb.png.362a2ff8bcb394f8810e2c362c70db3b.pngimage.png.97e9ebe8fa5ff7090d5e2689807b09c3.png

7 hours ago, Racso5 said:

However, I am a huge fan of QoL and UI improvements. For those who have been playing Spaced Out, can you please explain if the latest version contains significant QoL and UI improvements compared to the base game?

"Yes."

Players have stated that they feel the current Base Game and the current DLC are felt as two different games, to say it in a diplomatic way.

Nobody can tell you if the final DLC release takes anywhere between 3-12 months. The more time goes by, the more likely the launch day becomes. However, I`m taking a time pill from ONi for quite some time now and perhaps I have to wait up to 6 months.

At some point the current base game will/perhaps/should/most likely/will be a fusion between the current base game and the DLC. I always see the DLC as the latest development version of the game and someday...Someday(crying!) it will make boooooommmm and Klei has launched the new twitter creature, the long awaited creature "basegamedlcmix".

A lot have got a sense how it will be, but its up to Klei to put the final Klei-vision-version in to the store.

Everyone can state what they want from the game in the forum, playing the various version iterations, and Klei often listens, that`s the nice thing :p

image.png.210672ca2df2aa7390f1183cc5f7bfb7.png

Until then, Im going through this every day...( and @aresd knows )

It is also unclear if the reactor will come up for survival mode testing before final dlc launch of if Klei keeps it back as DLC launch mega buster.

4 hours ago, pether said:

They added drag tool area, now when you dig the game shows you how many tiles you selected. Helps if you want to dig big room that is exactly 96 tiles.

They also added option to re-build last selected building, even if you closed building menu. Very handy.

There are also improved notifications and you can select what resources you want to track on the side screen. Cool stuff!

I'm still waiting for deconstructable POI...

Anyway - the DLC is great, new QoL are really nice, but this day is a bad day to start new game, worldgen will change a lot in the future. I wait with new game myself, only checking new items in sandbox mode (omg, there is so many new good stuff!)

The resource list on the side is sooo helpful. Also, I love that you can see exactly how many tiles you're digging up now. Definitely saves a lot of time. 

the only worldgen changes i'd remake for are for more asteroids as you can't "debug" them in.  currently i can open debug mode and drop in any POI like the new (unfinished) sap tree to a current game or if the niobium asteroid doesn't spawn a volcano, i can 'debug' one in pretty easily

the only downside of this debug menu usage is that achievements are disabled (a mod can re-enable this) or that the other planets come "alive" as planets are dormant until you make contact with them

On 2/13/2021 at 6:55 PM, zach123b said:

the only worldgen changes i'd remake for are for more asteroids as you can't "debug" them in.  currently i can open debug mode and drop in any POI like the new (unfinished) sap tree to a current game or if the niobium asteroid doesn't spawn a volcano, i can 'debug' one in pretty easily

the only downside of this debug menu usage is that achievements are disabled (a mod can re-enable this) or that the other planets come "alive" as planets are dormant until you make contact with them

For ( base/dlc game ) survival mode players ( not using the editor/debug ) it could be nice to have an iron man mode ( no debug access ) and an optional big DLC start map, with lots of renewable resources.

Balancing the game only with editor players in mind would make survival mode players unhappy.

with each update the start worlds have shrank more so if you don't want to see world edge from the pod i would wait since ya your very much not going to have a lot of room to build as is plus the fact that if your playing the beta well get use to bugs

On 2/16/2021 at 7:58 AM, babba said:

For ( base/dlc game ) survival mode players ( not using the editor/debug ) it could be nice to have an iron man mode ( no debug access ) and an optional big DLC start map, with lots of renewable resources.

Balancing the game only with editor players in mind would make survival mode players unhappy.

I've been working away on a world gen mod that includes a lot more randomness and some of my own asteroid designs.  Also includes a big asteroid (though right now it's not the starting asteroid - you'll have to engineer your way to the big one first).  

I'd like to hear more about what people want in a world gen.  Particularly with an emphasis on challenging experienced players.

Archived