Soylent Green is HATCHES!

So, I got to thinking - Hatches eat food. When a hatch dies it makes food. Can I feed hatches with hatches? The wiki is a little unclear on how much food a hatch consumes per cycle (0.1 to 1.8 kg/cycle), so a little investigation would be necessary to figure that out.

However the wiki says sage hatches eat 700 calories per cycle. We know that an operating hatch ranch can produce 680 calories of bbq per cycle so it seems well within the realm of sadistic things we can do. A happy hatch lays its first egg after 5.88 cycles which works out to 4,116 calories to feed the critter before getting its replacement. That's just over a single kilogram of bbq and we probably have some time to starve out the critter. This becomes calorie-positive if we feed sage hatches frost burgers or surf'n'turf.

To make this evil coal production plant work you need a way to kill sage hatches after their first egg (starve them I guess). Could a critter feeder set to 1 kg of bbq and some access control be the simplest way to achieve this?

Prototype:

Critter sensor is set to <1c. (edit: slap a filter gate on the critter sensor to avoid game-load stupidity.) Airlock is set to exit only. This should produce about 170g of coal a cycle (yes grams). But I think the cruelty is the point here, not getting anything worth a dupe's time out of it.

20210121135922_1.thumb.jpg.5418ecfa7145e509c1758e18c0d6b0c6.jpg

2 hours ago, occamrazor said:

The wiki is a little unclear on how much food a hatch consumes per cycle (0.1 to 1.8 kg/cycle)

Hovering over the hatch diet when you click it shows you how much of each thing it eats pr cycle. It`s a pretty large tooltip (for the hatch it takes the whole screen) but it`s the only place in game where you can see that info iirc.

I have been doing that for a long time, but just casually. (Casual evil is even better! Well, as long as it is in a fantasy-world, that is.) Ever since I investigated why I never seemed to get any meat from my locked up wild hatches and what they used to produce that coal... 

19 hours ago, occamrazor said:

To make this evil coal production plant work you need a way to kill sage hatches after their first egg (starve them I guess). Could a critter feeder set to 1 kg of bbq and some access control be the simplest way to achieve this?

This is an interesting thought experiment, but I think you're just starvation ranching hatches.

A baby hatch is born with 6300kcal.  If left un-groomed it will consume 700 * .1 (baby) * .2 (glum) = 14 kcal / cycle for the first 5 cycles.  It will be then left with 6230kcal.  That's 6230/700 = 8.9 cycles worth of calories.  A groomed hatch will produce 1 egg every 6 cycles.  So the hatch will have laid 1 egg and be 48% of the way to it's second egg when it runs out of calories.  It will starve to death 10 cycles later at .48 + (10 / 60) = 65% reproduction.

The only way feeding would help is if you could get more calories out of an egg than a hatch eats in 6 cycles.  But you get 4000kcal of bbq out of each egg and an adult hatch eats 700kcal per cycle.  Which means you need 6 * 700kcal = 4200kcal per egg. So egg production is net calorie negative.

Turning your bbq into surf'n'turf or frost burgers isn't helpful here.  Both turn 4000kcal of bbq into 6000kcal, but they also take another 1600kcal of other food as ingredients.  So cooking only provides an extra 400kcal each.  And you get that bonus whether they're made from cannibal hatches or not.  All you're really doing is turning those other ingredients into bbq slightly more efficiently than if you fed them to the hatch directly.

3 hours ago, occamrazor said:
4 hours ago, Yunru said:

I was under the (mistaken?) assumption that the idea was a self-sustaining income of coal?

Exactly.

Ah, I was thinking the goal was an infinite source of food.  Starvation ranching hatches turns the calories a hatch is born with into food.  This method turns the calories they're born with into coal. 

Still, starvation ranched hatches are a terrible source of infinite calories.  You'd be better off in pretty much every way by using a different source of food (starvation ranched shove voles, perhaps).  Then feeding THAT to sage hatches.  That way you don't even have to groom the hatches.  Each glum sage hatch will eat 700 * .2 = 140kcal per cycle.  So 140/4000 = 35g BBQ convert into coal per hatch per cycle (vs 175g per happy/groomed hatch). And since you're feeding them they'll live for 100cycles and die of old age after producing 1 egg at round cycle 60.  So they're self sustaining and can be housed as densely as you want.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Isn't the big problem with this the fact that meat/barbecue is extremely calorie dense? Only half of its small mass will become coal.

Well sage hatches are nice in that they convert 100% of the mass they eat.  But food is still way too caloricly dense to make a good source of coal.  Realistically if you want coal from sage hatches you feed them pdirt of which they eat (and convert 100%) 140kg / cycle (800x as much as they eat BBQ by mass).

5 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Realistically if you want coal from sage hatches you feed them pdirt of which they eat (and convert 100%) 140kg / cycle (800x as much as they eat BBQ by mass).

Right you are. I meant this to be a silly little post and don't intend to implement, much less optimize, the build. But if it inspires someone to go down the rabbit hole more power to 'em.

Archived