Naming: Insulation, really?

When a category of material as well as the chosen name for what the molecular forge poops out is "mildly" confusing, I must ask if this conversation's been had before. Yes, I want to talk about insulation, the Grimace-colored material that forces dupes into rockets in the name of progress...

Let's call it "KataiWool" ™ © ® :D

Anything but "insulation", yes, we do get used to the usage of "insulation" as the term that refers to the abyssalite compound, eventually, but a catchy name would have been nice for it. (trivia: Abyssalite's other "name" is katairite...)

Asbestos is already taken...

20 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Insulated Pipes made from Insulation are clearly for insulating things.  Redundant redundancy redundantly allows redundant redundancy.

Wasn't it insulated insulation?

I'm guessing the redundancy does increase the factor of insulation then.

7 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

it got archived

You'd have to use your google-fu to find it... Even if you commented in the thread the history also disappears from your profile. IMO: I wouldn't consider having made another thread for this forum necromancy.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:04 AM, KittenIsAGeek said:

Insulated Pipes made from Insulation are clearly for insulating things.  Redundant redundancy redundantly allows redundant redundancy.

Still not perfect insulation pipes despite what appears to be the intention. Is it a bug that hasn't been fixed? Because insulated insulation tiles apparently have zero heat transfer with a few unaccounted exceptions.

I figured it would be better to at least call the material "Insulus" or "Insulum", no idea why they literally called a material "insulation".

5 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Still not perfect insulation pipes despite what appears to be the intention.

I never believed the intention was to provide perfect insulation from heat. The only thing that actually does that in-game is vacuum.

I joined the crowd after official release. But I do recall there had been the ability to use abyssalite as a building material. The nerf that was earned for that is having to build with the new insulation material, which adds a nice hurdle to the game.

When we look at the properties of the stuff, then we see that the thermal conductivity is a non-zero value. What we often get in the properties dialog is a truncated value that might make us believe it is actually zero.

As a consequence of this, there shall be temperature variation in the material. It should be noted that temperature exchange with related environment/buildings/contents will be severely reduced if not completely negated.  And that's the perk of this compound material.

Here's a fun situation; behold, the compost made of insulation, will it cook my pufts or melt first?:

image.thumb.png.4772455859db14f1728bb8fe8a0786ac.png

For the curious: Nothing is cooking inside of it, polluted dirt is stable and dirt still comes out at a fixed temperature. Temperature is rising steadily as it has been operating mostly non-stop. I believe this to be so because the heat generation of the building is set to self and does not output to the environment.

Archived