Don't Starve Together 2020 Recap!

DON'T STARVE TOGETHER 2020 RECAP!

Since nobody did it, i thought it was fun to recap all the updates (the crucial parts) of this wonderful year that 2020 has been :roll: and share

our discussions :wilson_goodjob:  !  (At start i was making a poll, but it became too long and massive so i think this way is better).

START ;
-Increased more art resolutions 
-Year of the Carrat!  
-Wendy Rework! 
-She Sells Sea Shells! Which brings Clean Sweeper, Crabby hermit and Crab King!
-Added some Crab King and Malbatross loot to Klaus' Loot Stash
-More nerfs towards Crab King when frozen
-Trees are now less invasive with the world regrowth
-May QOL Update! Survivors have now favorite foods, beards skins, rework of the menu about the characters, caves can be enabled by default, added more scuplture about forgotten bosses ( press f for Ancient Guardian :sad:) , buffed the recipes for the insulated pack and marble suit, buffed the Thulecite club's durability and you can unravel all duplicates in the curio cabinet 
-Shadow creatures no longer trigger spider creep, finally!
-Walter join the fight!
-Various tweaks and buffs to make Walter slingshot more viable
-Troubled Waters! Sharks, new shadow creatures and sea weed come to kill you, new recipes like Jelly salad and Beefy greens, new upgrades for your raf... i mean boat.
-Nerf Wavey Jones.

-August QOL Update! New cookbook, added the option Backpack Layout, new menu options for mods, increased the item server inventory, added the Force Container mod, batilisk wings can now be used in the crockpot!
-Bee Boxes don't reset their timer at dusk and stingers can now burn!
-Fallounders and bloomfin tuna can now be placed in the Crock Pot
-Wigrifid Rework!
-Forgotten Knowledge bois!!! New menu for save files, uncapped save files and all about the Archives!
-Walls and fences can be placed on the very edge of the world   
-New Snowfallen and Hallowed Nights skins for the last characters!
-Reap what you saw! Rework agricolture, buffed wormwood and wurt, nerfed one perk of Wickerbottom, buffed the crafting recipe for the cookbook, a new "cookbook" for the plants, new ""boss"" and nerfed Bunnymen loot.

SO, overhaul i'm 100% enthusiastic of this year and what to be expect from the next one. This IS the most important time to be in all Don't Starve history, starting from the 2019, for his increasing success in popularity, for his constant updates ,where klei is clearly participating with the community (adding even mods into the main game), and continuation of the Don't Starve story.
My favourite update is the Forgotten knowledge, so much to explore, so much new lore and story, so much new things to do and together we had a lot of fun discovering all of this.
The one who shocked me the most was the Reap what you saw update. TOTALLY unexpected all of that and we saw it even in the community, with all the fire spread for Wickerbottom and Wormwood.
The one who i prased every day was the August QOL Update, i mean, how can you not live now without the "Force container mod" and drop like a boss all your items into the ground.
I don't have a really hated update, even THOUGH....well... Crab King...but he's still a bad apple inside an interesting update.

And for you? Which update was your favourite, disliked, or surprised of this year? 

14 hours ago, Milordo said:

-Wendy Rework! 
-A nerf to the Toadstool's spore cloud

I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding there - if I remember correctly, it wasn't a Toad Spore Cloud nerf per se: Wendy rework introduced a bug where Abi's debuff induced Toad casting a spore on itself, making the fight a lot harder as practically it got a not-intended self-defense mechanism. After people complained, said spore self-casting got corrected.

Aside that it was an interesting year in DST given the COVID context, that restricted KLei's work table to certain degrees. It meant in the end only 2 solid character reworks and the addition of a 3rd, totally new one. As for "Return of Them" content, we got 3 fairly big updates, namely "She Sells Sea Shells!""Troubled Waters" and "Forgotten Knowledge", with quite a lot of content and lore (more so for last pointed one) - yet Ocean needs substantially more elements to make it feel truly alive akin SW (if that's the plan, as opposed to a desolation look). Last macro-update, "Reap What You Sow", while not related to ongoing new Lunar themed DLC, provided a way more engaging and rewarding plot-farming mechanic akin Gorge's with a wider skill approach, from casual to experienced-dedicated farmers, more so after Nutrient mechanic was simplified and one crucial game-play aspect was corrected - "Fixed a bug causing birds to count seeds in the players inventory when determining if it should drop a seed or not (this made seeds rarer than they should have been)", which drastically increased the player's seeds intake and farming-start viability. Rest of updates, QoL mostly, addressed past and present forum complaints and punctual suggestions - welcomed additions. All-in-all, given the averse context of 2020, it was an ok year in DST's development imo. Hope 2021 will see this pandemic gone and a return to a more ANR type of updates time-table (and yes, more QoL too, they refresh past/under-performing game assets).

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding there - if I remember correctly, it wasn't a Toad Spore Cloud nerf per se: Wendy rework introduced a bug where Abi's debuff induced Toad casting a spore on itself, making the fight a lot harder as practically it got a not-intended self-defense mechanism. After people complained, said spore self-casting got corrected.

OH, i didn't knew it. Thx for the info! I will fix it immediately.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Favorites: Wendy- and the QoL update that added Random button for Season & Season Length, & Forgotten Knowledges! Least Favorite: Wigfrid rework, after reworks for Willow, Woodie & Wendy- Wigfrids just felt underwhelming for Me.

I already read some post of yours about it, i think Wigfrid rework was one of , if not, the most "perfect" rework klei could have done!

She was already a good character, make her too strong or too weak or  with strange mechanics could lead to more work and balance for Klei and more confusion and debate for the community. I'm not against new ability, new items, ecc... it just, she was already perfect, in terms of balance and fun. It's not a surprise, when her rework was announced the big meme was webber left in the dark corner, WHICH i'm waiting with much hype. 

Spider boi needs new things like ability or items like you suggest.  

SSSS update was bad one. It was not necessary, just like fishing.

I didn't liked Wigfrid update. We was except different things from her but she just get extra buff. I don't think anyone is gonna use it.

QoL updates was nice.

I liked Walter, he just need few perks

Farm update was looks bad but I was wrong. It's pretty easy to handle and I really like it. It's a good update for who wants to stay at home while his friend wander around. Just like me lol.

2 hours ago, Slagger said:

I didn't liked Wigfrid update. We was except different things from her but she just get extra buff. I don't think anyone is gonna use it

The buffs are free stats when you finally craft them

Being able to kill bosses like fw without healing or sanity food makes the game less grindy

The weapon durability song is good

The crowd control maybe should last a little longer but both are cool and have potential

2 hours ago, Pebrot said:

ancient guardiant had its statue added aswell

Yes, it was added in that time, it just depressed me how klei is putting Ancient guardian in the dark corner with webs, as he is THE boss of the 3rd level of the game as a reskin of an enemy and forgotten.

Just to precise it, his statue was added in the END, where every bosses (still treeguard and spider queen missing) was receiving one. 

I repeat, it was added at the END..... in a small patch note...... as they forgot him.....

3 hours ago, Slagger said:

SSSS update was bad one. It was not necessary, just like fishing.

I didn't liked Wigfrid update. We was except different things from her but she just get extra buff. I don't think anyone is gonna use it.

QoL updates was nice.

I liked Walter, he just need few perks

Farm update was looks bad but I was wrong. It's pretty easy to handle and I really like it. It's a good update for who wants to stay at home while his friend wander around. Just like me lol.

From what i see, after her rework, i saw a LOT of guides, small youtubers and videos about her songs, but i don't have a clear picture how much they've been used, so i could be wrong. Glad you liked the farm update  :)  

10 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Because she doesnt need inspiration to fight little mobs and even in that way, with a good weapon, she receives enough inspiration to use the songs against them

My problems with Wigfrid in Spoiler:

Spoiler

I think that’s my problem with Wigfrid and her scrolls- there’s not enough enemy mobs around to prevent inspiration meter from dropping- so unless your fighting one huge and nasty Spider Den infestation that looks like a Gears of War nest nightmare: Or your fighting a boss monster, the scrolls don’t ever actually get to see much use.

Imagine being able to use for example the Startling scroll to scare Cookie Cutters away from your boat: The problem? She can’t get and KEEP inspiration long enough to see any use out of it.

For worlds bigger than default this may not be a problem I don’t know as I don’t play on PC- But I can say I struggle finding “opportunities” to use Wigfrids Stagecraft songs outside of Boss fights or other highly situational not likely to happen scenarios.

Klei should Defiantly relook at Wigfrid even if they just add some new “Mini-boss” mobs into the game for her to fight, mobs that are going to reward her a lot of inspiration meter when battling- That OR just slow down the rate at which it drops, so I can actually find enemies to fight few and far between.

Maybe Klei designed her entire kit around boss fights I don’t rightly know.. but I can say that unlike Wendy, Willow, Woodie, where I had control over and can activate my new abilities at pretty much any moment I want to: Wigfrids feels Entirely situational, and she doesn’t really have any control over when she can or can’t use them.

Ive been trying to make my own Self-Made workaround for it: Like building and placing pig houses all around the map so I am guaranteed to always have something to fight and build up her inspiration & actually make use out of the battle scrolls, but otherwise: Her Stagecraft feels situational at its best- and rarely (if ever) sees any use outside of boss fights.

this is extra especially true when engaging with Sea related content, there just ain’t nothing out there to fight in those mostly empty waters.. same situation on land in those biomes that feel like empty bare wastelands.

You can maybe chalk it up to World Gen... but I shouldn’t have to: And if Wendy, Woodie, and Willows new Abilities didn’t feel entirely situational: Why should Wigfrids? I get that they wanted us to engage in glorious bouts of battle to gain inspiration: But when there’s nothing around to battle the feature see’s significantly less use.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

My problems with Wigfrid in Spoiler:

I can't argue with that. That's the only problem i had with the meter when i was playing : it fade away too fast. There should be some re-balance how you obtain inspiration or even just prolonging the timer. I can agree 100% with few bosses i tried in the past was effective but for all the others and even normal enemies is really lame, for example i was pumped UP for the ability to scare away animals/enemies. Can you imagine how USEFUL would be in the village biome of the ruins? Those bastards....

bastards.png

Archived