Proposed category rework

This has probably been brought up multiple times but the categories in ONI are not user friendly. Having to scroll to get to the right category or "sweep only" is a real pain:

Some of the categories only have two resources under them - completely pointless having a whole category clog up your menu for 3 or less resources.
image.png.6fdca1c8279a26aff372369cd7532010.png

Here is my proposal:

• Merge Cultivatable soil and  Agricultural  into Agriculture/Organic
  • Merge filtration medium into consumable ore
  • Rename "manufactured materials" to "advanced materials"
  • Disperse miscellaneous- Place Table salt under Edible, sulfur under consumable ore, abyssalite under raw mineral, diamond under advanced materials.
  • Remove rare resource. Place Niobium, thermium, super insulation, iso-resin, fullerene and super insulation under "advanced materials". Could potentially put iso-resin and fullerene under industrial ingredient instead
  • New Category - "Sublimating materials". Category would include rot piles slime, polluted dirt, polluted mud oxylite, bleach stone

New proposed menu:
image.png.a30fc593a0d9bc0583f97c3a5b407fd8.png

What does everyone think of these proposed changes? What additional changes would you like to see to the categories?

personally?

I'd rather just have user-changeable group containers.

IOW, rename the groupings (agriculture, clothing, consumable ore) in the same way that you can rename storage containers. That way, I could label groupings however I want and put whatever I want into them. I could label them as "most important" "somewhat important", or i could label them as "materials i need to make a petroleum boiler" or etc.

Yes that`s something i wanted to comment on for a while but kept forgetting. There is a lot of things that don`t make much sense after multiple reworks to how some systems work. Personally i`d like an "offgassing" cathegory for stuff that emits gasses and needs to be kept under water for good measure.

Salt and sugar should be under cooking ingredients since they aren`t edible by themselves.

Also you shouldn`t be able to build stuff out of lime or fossils.

26 minutes ago, darknotezero said:

personally?

I'd rather just have user-changeable group containers.

IOW, rename the groupings (agriculture, clothing, consumable ore) in the same way that you can rename storage containers. That way, I could label groupings however I want and put whatever I want into them. I could label them as "most important" "somewhat important", or i could label them as "materials i need to make a petroleum boiler" or etc.

I think this is a great idea - however we still need a default layout for new players. Even if you were to implement customizable categories, we still need a default layout that is user friendly.

4 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Yes that`s something i wanted to comment on for a while but kept forgetting. There is a lot of things that don`t make much sense after multiple reworks to how some systems work. Personally i`d like an "offgassing" cathegory for stuff that emits gasses and needs to be kept under water for good measure.

Salt and sugar should be under cooking ingredients since they aren`t edible by themselves.

Also you shouldn`t be able to build stuff out of lime or fossils.

Agreed.
I'll update my post with this as a suggested category. Would save myself soooo much time to just tick and untick one box for offgassing materials.

3 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Additionally, it would be nice if the sweep function had a pop-up of that same menu, allowing you to pick specifically which items you wanted to sweep up.

Love it. So we have our "categories" but is what you are proposing another supercategory duplicate of "all" but renamed "sweep only"?

2 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

Love it. So we have our "categories" but is what you are proposing another supercategory duplicate of "all" but renamed "sweep only"?

I'm saying that the menu that you see when you click on a storage locker should also appear when you click on the sweep button.  So that you can chose "all" or a category, or a specific element to sweep up.  There have been times where I've wanted to clean up, for example, sand, without touching the polluted dirt that is also on the tile.  I have a locker set up that only takes "sweep only, sand" so I click sweep and slide it over the items.. forgetting that elsewhere I have a locker that can take polluted dirt.  I didn't want to sweep up the dirt, but it got swept away because I forgot I had a locker elsewhere.  Putting the choice on the sweep function would make it much easier to get the element you specifically want rather than "everything under the mouse that has somewhere to go."

3 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I'm saying that the menu that you see when you click on a storage locker should also appear when you click on the sweep button.  So that you can chose "all" or a category, or a specific element to sweep up.  There have been times where I've wanted to clean up, for example, sand, without touching the polluted dirt that is also on the tile.  I have a locker set up that only takes "sweep only, sand" so I click sweep and slide it over the items.. forgetting that elsewhere I have a locker that can take polluted dirt.  I didn't want to sweep up the dirt, but it got swept away because I forgot I had a locker elsewhere.  Putting the choice on the sweep function would make it much easier to get the element you specifically want rather than "everything under the mouse that has somewhere to go."

Like this?
image.thumb.png.e9fd21c7129d7366f1ae96800e8eb3a1.png

Minor note but things like salt do have two uses - if you merge it under edible what about rust? That would be super unintuitive for new users and I'd wager more people use salt for rust than for the +1 to morale/recipes.

Search bar + scroll list would be perfection though!

11 minutes ago, spkthed said:

Minor note but things like salt do have two uses - if you merge it under edible what about rust? That would be super unintuitive for new users and I'd wager more people use salt for rust than for the +1 to morale/recipes.

People don't use salt for +1 morale/recipes at all. That's TABLE salt. Totally different item

Sure, but that's not really my point. Table salt comes from salt, which is used to make table salt and to make oxygen via rust. Sugar/sucrose is identical - it's used in cooking and rockets. Where does it belong?

Of course you could have the same item in multiple categories which would be fine, but I think a search with updating filter would probably be best.

Archived