Woodie is a Jack of all trade, or is he?...

Look, I heard a lot from people calling Woodie a jack of all trade character, mainly maybe because they never played Woodie as much, but IMO he is not, because his goose-form enables him to traverse the sea, find the Lunar Island early game and mass produce Glass Cutter which is an equivalent to Dark Sword but cheaper. Also, he even gets to farm Stone Fruits, get plenty of stones and basically wreck Bee Queen and Dragonfly early on. I would like to hear opinion on this matter however, is he truly a jack of all trade character?

I am playing Woodie on my server with friends, and imo he is.

The game basicaly focuses on three aspects: exploration, gathering and combat. Guess who has transformations for each of them? :)

I can scout and uncover maps with Goose, destroy nearly everything with Beaver and mass murder some spiders or even bosses as Moose.
Your boy just needs lots of monster meat, some other filling dish and some sanity control.

2 minutes ago, MrNaxeros said:

I am playing Woodie on my server with friends, and imo he is.

The game basicaly focuses on three aspects: exploration, gathering and combat. Guess who has transformations for each of them? :)

I can scout and uncover maps with Goose, destroy nearly everything with Beaver and mass murder some spiders or even bosses as Moose.
Your boy just needs lots of monster meat, some other filling dish and some sanity control.

Do you find it fun utilising Were-forms? Or are you rather just play as human Woodie?

Personally, I love utilising the Were-forms because it has a high risk and high reward in it. High risk, if you failed to manage your sanity, hunger and health by the end of your transformation. High reward if you manage to play smart during your transformation in order to obtain greater gains.

Im a Woodie main, and he is. He is a character that can fullfill any role needed much better than the average joe, but without being the best at it.

Even though not the best at each skill he has his own special uses which makes it a very in depth character.

Spoiler

EG: for mobility and exploration perks Walter is much better overal, and Wortox is a better cave explorer. However he has his niche perks of running in the water which nobody else has.

For fights Wigfrid is a better tank than the moose, and Wendy has a more reliable AOE, however he has both things, and his charge when properly used can be used in situations where neither Abigail or Wigfrid would work, thus making him special on his own. Also he technically has an almost free 90% armor, and nightvision for cave or winter fights.

As a a gatherer Maxwell is the best by a long shot. Still the beaver can work in complete darkness and saving tools entirely, all you need are 3 monster meats, 2 logs and a healing food of some sort. Also Wormwood is a better living log gatherer, still, Woodie gets a reliable supply of treeguards which although can be dangerous, they can also be used to fight stuff on their own

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Im a Woodie main, and he is. He is a character that can fullfill any role needed much better than the average joe, but without being the best at it.

Even though not the best at each skill he has his own special uses which makes it a very in depth character.

Hide contents

Woodie gets a reliable supply of treeguards which although can be dangerous, they can also be used to fight stuff on their own

Can you please list all possible examples. I saw a video where a large group of tree guards destroyed misery toadstool in about 2 minutes. They seemed to have been aggroed by his screech? Would they fight bee queen? Super interesting stuff. 

When people say that he is a jack of all trades they are probably following this line of thought:

The 3 areas of excellence in a character are 1) exploration, 2) gathering materials, 3) combat

Woodie is able to excel at all of these with his wereforms being able to explore with goose, gather with beaver, and combat with moose.  Compare this to other characters like Wickerbottom who excells at resource generation but has no particular perks for combat or exploration.  Wolfgang who is great for exploratiton and combat but doesn't really bring anything for combat.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Can you please list all possible examples. I saw a video where a large group of tree guards destroyed misery toadstool in about 2 minutes. They seemed to have been aggroed by his screech? Would they fight bee queen? Super interesting stuff. 

They do not agro toad from his screeching or explosions, but they do aggro it if you plant trees right next to the cap. So when it spawns, tree guards witness toad breaking the trees and they all attack for that.

Treeguards are good passive killers, you can ditch them in an area and they remain around that area, so you can use them to kill hound waves or depth worm waves, pigmen, warrior pigs (on the set pieces) merms, tentacles or bunnymen. When the beefalos are in heat, they will also attack them.

The ways to ditch them in an area are planting pine cones, putting them to sleep, or freezing them. My personal favorite is using a flingo: make something burn near their position and the flingo will freeze them. They will not remember wanting to kill you afterwards, and stay around that area. 

Treeguards can kill some bosses but not all of them, mostly bearger, toad, moose goose and deerclops. I’ve heard they can deal a bunch of damage to fuel weaver too, but in the end they all die, so it’s just a head start. I never found a way to make them aggro bee queen or dragonfly.

The best thing about using treeguards to fight is that even if they die, unless it’s against fire hounds, you always get more living logs, so win-win. 

Bonus tip: check out splorange’s sanity farm with treeguards on YouTube.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

When people say that he is a jack of all trades they are probably following this line of thought:

The 3 areas of excellence in a character are 1) exploration, 2) gathering materials, 3) combat

Woodie is able to excel at all of these with his wereforms being able to explore with goose, gather with beaver, and combat with moose.  Compare this to other characters like Wickerbottom who excells at resource generation but has no particular perks for combat or exploration.  Wolfgang who is great for exploratiton and combat but doesn't really bring anything for combat.

What about the sea? No other characters can match him at that.

1 hour ago, TheTruth said:

Being particularly great at something doesn't mean you aren't a jack of all trades.  Being great at early exploring and lunar rushes doesn't mean he isn't also good at resource production or combat so he's still a jack of all trades character.  Plus the value of an early lunar rush depends on how much players can exploit that head start which can be nothing if they don't know how to utilize the loot from it.

Jack of all trades does not require a person be a master of none, he can certainly be a jack of all trades and master of revealing the map in 3 days lol

5 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Being particularly great at something doesn't mean you aren't a jack of all trades. 

So, what makes a character NOT Jack of all trade

5 hours ago, Shosuko said:

.Jack of all trades does not require a person be a master of none, he can certainly be a jack of all trades and master of revealing the map in 3 days lol

Man, now I feel like an idiot. Isn't Jack of all trade whole deal is NOT being the best at something? Or this is just a joke,hehe.

If I play alone, I usually pick depend on my whim, but if I play with other, my choice is always Woodie. Wood gathering, leaving flint for other, scouting,...

Also one more tiny thing , if I pick Woodie, other newbie will looks to pick other char to avoid duplication, and they won't panic if they are transformed on the 1st full moon, or spawn a tree guard

11 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Hide contents

EG: for mobility and exploration perks Walter is much better overal, and Wortox is a better cave explorer. However he has his niche perks of running in the water which nobody else has.

For fights Wigfrid is a better tank than the moose, and Wendy has a more reliable AOE, however he has both things, and his charge when properly used can be used in situations where neither Abigail or Wigfrid would work, thus making him special on his own. Also he technically has an almost free 90% armor, and nightvision for cave or winter fights.

As a a gatherer Maxwell is the best by a long shot. Still the beaver can work in complete darkness and saving tools entirely, all you need are 3 monster meats, 2 logs and a healing food of some sort. Also Wormwood is a better living log gatherer, still, Woodie gets a reliable supply of treeguards which although can be dangerous, they can also be used to fight stuff on their own

^^^ This

53 minutes ago, TheTruth said:

So, what makes a character NOT Jack of all trade

Man, now I feel like an idiot. Isn't Jack of all trade whole deal is NOT being the best at something? Or this is just a joke,hehe.

If he was normal at something then he wouldn't be a jack of all trades.  Wolfgang is great at exploring and fighting but isn't better than anyone else at resource gathering.  Woodie is good at it all.  A lot of times the idea is "jack of all trades, master of none" but woodie didn't hit that mark because he is a master both at early exploration and resource gathering and still has the moose form for combat.

idk its not like its a big deal tho :\ 

8 hours ago, TheTruth said:

He is a jack of trades. Also on sea he is not always super reliable, maybe he can rush many things, but for seafaring people would choose other characters, like Wenndy+Abby, Willow and/or Maxwell, because they can deal much better than Woodie with sea creatures (Wendy+Abby), sea stacks (Maxwell), Summer/fires on boat (Willow). On boat Woodie isn't much better than Wilson, specially there is not much to explore on sea in current state, but still can be a lot of things to fight... And goose is simply defenseless, Moose is useless on boats (cant charge nor steer), and Beaver ever more useless.  .

32 minutes ago, Notecja said:

He is a jack of trades. Also on sea he is not always super reliable, maybe he can rush many things, but for seafaring people would choose other characters, like Wenndy+Abby, Willow and/or Maxwell, because they can deal much better than Woodie with sea creatures (Wendy+Abby), sea stacks (Maxwell), Summer/fires on boat (Willow). On boat Woodie isn't much better than Wilson, specially there is not much to explore on sea in current state, but still can be a lot of things to fight... And goose is simply defenseless, Moose is useless on boats (cant charge nor steer), and Beaver ever more useless.  .

Well, yes Woodie is basically Wilson on a boat, but to be honest I do not think the sea loots(except for salt) are really that useful, obviously we use boats to kill sea bosses like Salty Dog or looting, the fact that Woodie is fastest and cheapest at traversing the sea is why I consider him the king of the sea. In my opinion, I think Lunar Island is the only feature worthy for players to force them out to the sea.

5 hours ago, TheTruth said:

Well, yes Woodie is basically Wilson on a boat, but to be honest I do not think the sea loots(except for salt) are really that useful, obviously we use boats to kill sea bosses like Salty Dog or looting, the fact that Woodie is fastest and cheapest at traversing the sea is why I consider him the king of the sea. In my opinion, I think Lunar Island is the only feature worthy for players to force them out to the sea.

The ocean has a lot of things to get and to do, if it’s worth doing or not that’s up to debate, but there are other things. The weregoose only has the power to explore and early rush the lunar island content. It’s a small buff like what I mentioned of the other 2 forms, something that is very unique to him but that does not make him the best.

If you want to take full advantage of the ocean, like @Notecja said, you’d do much better in the long run with Wendy, Maxwell or Willow.

Woodie is more like complementary at the ocean, mapping the ocean for them, and saving time by doing the lunar loot himself while the others do the other stuff probably more efficiently than he could (mining salt, fishing, pearl quests, treasure hunting, fighting sea weeds, etc).

I’ll give an example on how woodie is an amazing complementary character: In a public server I used the goose form to rescue a sailor maxwell that died to shadow creatures. His expensive boat (yknow, a boat that already has everything to survive year round at the sea) was going to crash against sea stacks if he left to revive on land. He told me where he was, I just run to the boat as the goose mid of the night, anchored the boat, tossed a LGA so he revives, and once all was under control, I goosed back where I was. He was really doing all the ocean stuff, and I was just there to support. That’s the role he does best IMHO.

9 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The ocean has a lot of things to get and to do, if it’s worth doing or not that’s up to debate, but there are other things. The weregoose only has the power to explore and early rush the lunar island content. It’s a small buff like what I mentioned of the other 2 forms, something that is very unique to him but that does not make him the best.

If you want to take full advantage of the ocean, like @Notecja said, you’d do much better in the long run with Wendy, Maxwell or Willow.

Woodie is more like complementary at the ocean, mapping the ocean for them, and saving time by doing the lunar loot himself while the others do the other stuff probably more efficiently than he could (mining salt, fishing, pearl quests, treasure hunting, fighting sea weeds, etc).

I’ll give an example on how woodie is an amazing complementary character: In a public server I used the goose form to rescue a sailor maxwell that died to shadow creatures. His expensive boat (yknow, a boat that already has everything to survive year round at the sea) was going to crash against sea stacks if he left to revive on land. He told me where he was, I just run to the boat as the goose mid of the night, anchored the boat, tossed a LGA so he revives, and once all was under control, I goosed back where I was. He was really doing all the ocean stuff, and I was just there to support. That’s the role he does best IMHO.

Huh? What are the sea loots which you believe is great enough to force players to venture out to the sea? (Except for salt or Lunar Island)

The thing is, boats are very slow, it would consume time and food to discover things like salt or whatever else you wish to discover, with Were-Goose, atleast you can pinpoint earlier on. This in IMHO is why Woodie is such a great character for the sea. I am not arguing that Wendy, Maxwell or whoever else are better at extracting those resources.

4 minutes ago, TheTruth said:

Huh? What are the sea loots which you believe is great enough to force players to venture out to the sea? (Except for salt or Lunar Island)

Like I said if the other stuff are worth doing or not it’s up to debate, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t other resources to get from the ocean and other stuff to do. Klei dedicated many updates to add ocean content and they probably will continue adding content to it.

I have friends I play with often that have a blast fishing, while searching for sunken treasures,  trading with Pearl, killing the malbatross and fighting sharks. If you enjoy that aspect of the game, Woodie is probably not the best.

Just now, TheTruth said:

Huh? What are the sea which you believe is great enough to force players to venture out to the sea?

I used one of forum tutorials to rush sea basing. Is pretty relaxing to swim around, catch fishes, and without worry about deerclops, maybe is not great, but some people just like it. Also with two sails sailing is quite fast and I never catched any fire on boat (not sure why, I was swimming with lureplant + ice staff setup during summer. Maybe it was too close to me).

It could be great for pubs, where all bases are in danger.

Now empty bottles and salt have more uses... And just ShadowDuelist mentioned about Pearl quests... Which are going to be important when they finish RoT updates.

Archived