[Suggestion] Defrosting Cryo Tanks

During the DLC we are have another source of finding new dupes by discovering and unicing Cryo-Tanks. However finding them does not yield much immersion yet as they seem to be very similar to what a freshly printed dupe looks like. Additionally they come with a downside of not being able to choose out of 4 choices as with the printer, but having to take whatever awaits in the icebox.

While the dupe in my current playthrough at least came with 3 interests (and 2 blocked trees), she did not have any skill point (printed dupes start with 1). I would expect a defrosted dupe to start with _several_ skill points making it worthwhile to take the gamble random experienced dupe vs. chosen inexperienced dupe.

Additonally, i would like to add an extra incentive to defrosting dupes. (apart from helping dupes in need. afterall, not everybody is canadian) They should have a unique set of low-impact skills that reflect their experience and can not be earned in any different way. Examples:

• Reknown Explorer - 1-3 more tiles sight radius when exploring an asteroid
  • Bejeweled - low chance of harvesting small amounts of diamond from metal/mineral tiles
  • Star due Dweller - low chance of receiving a different seed when harvesting a plant
  • Does not starve - lowers calory consumption when starving
  • Beat, cook, delicious - Animals drop more meat for each point of damage received by this dupe

Alternatively, let us see what traits the dupe has before we defrost them.  So we can just not defrost them if we don't like what they offer or if doing so at that time is actively detrimental.  Ex: A non-digger in a newly established base will be a huge liability, even if we can find jobs for them later on.

36 minutes ago, Alexandr Block said:

Or 1-2 random perks from the Neural Vacillator.
Your perks can also be added to Neural Vacillator. It's weird to do a whole perk for one duplicate in the game.

Who said there could only be one dupe left in the ice-box?

1 minute ago, Carcer_ said:

So your suggesting we could save one but let the othes die or remain frozen for eternity?

I am saying there might be other ice boxes on other asteroids. So my suggestion does not apply to 1 dupe per game. But to a number of POI throughout the game.

I haven't played around with cryo boxes yet, but question for those that have - are they reusable?

If not, I have a suggestion - allow them to be reused. In other words, after waking the dupe up, allow you to re-freeze other duplicants, which would allow you to both swap one of your existing duplicants for the one in the box, but also potentially provide some interesting options for sending extra dupes to a new asteroid but in stasis until you're ready for them (of course, that would mean the cryo box has to be moveable or rebuildable, but that would also be interesting).

1 hour ago, Beowulfe said:

I haven't played around with cryo boxes yet, but question for those that have - are they reusable?

If not, I have a suggestion - allow them to be reused. In other words, after waking the dupe up, allow you to re-freeze other duplicants, which would allow you to both swap one of your existing duplicants for the one in the box, but also potentially provide some interesting options for sending extra dupes to a new asteroid but in stasis until you're ready for them (of course, that would mean the cryo box has to be moveable or rebuildable, but that would also be interesting).

That is an excellent idea! We should be able to send our dupes onto space travels and put them into cryo-sleep for the entire trip. What could possibly go wrong? Face hugger patch | Etsy

On 11/27/2020 at 9:18 AM, DarkMaster13 said:

Alternatively, let us see what traits the dupe has before we defrost them.  So we can just not defrost them if we don't like what they offer or if doing so at that time is actively detrimental.  Ex: A non-digger in a newly established base will be a huge liability, even if we can find jobs for them later on.

I like this suggestion from the perspective of wanting to control who comes into the colony.

On the other hand, I also like the idea of rolling the dice on a dupe as a little push outside my comfort zone. Maybe I get a flatulent or narcoleptic dupe and suddenly have to deal with something I never would have taken from the pod. If I don't want to take the risk, I can always leave the dupe frozen.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, blash365 said:
  • Reknown Explorer - 1-3 more tiles sight radius when exploring an asteroid

Building on this idea - maybe defrosting the dupe reveals ruins or other areas of the map. Thematically, perhaps the frozen dupe knows something about the layout of the buildings nearby. This would "sweeten the pot" to open the cryotank early versus leaving it until later (or never).

7 hours ago, Kevdog said:

Building on this idea - maybe defrosting the dupe reveals ruins or other areas of the map. Thematically, perhaps the frozen dupe knows something about the layout of the buildings nearby. This would "sweeten the pot" to open the cryotank early versus leaving it until later (or never).

I was considering something like that as well. Akin to civilizations barbarian who can random useless random tiles on the map. But that is just a one-time-bonus, which doesnt help much with the _identity_ of the dupe.

On the other hand, why not give them negative traits?

• Ice crystals: Unfortunately, this dupe was frozen too slow. It now has holes in its brain (well, more holes than a regular dupe) and performs below the level of a Meep. While if can use every machine, it may well make it explode. Its bed will catch fire every other night. It is not toilet-trained. On the plus-side, every other dupe loves this broken creature and as long as this dupe is kept around, they get +6 morale.
  • Megalomaniac: While there was no ice in this dupes brain, something else went very wrong. This dupe is constantly trying to run the colony and to tell everybody what to do. On the plus side, every other dupe gets +3 athletics to get away faster from this one.
  • Axe-murderer: This dupe is just angry. Very angry. It will try to murder other dupes in their sleep. It will never succeed, making it even angrier. Because of that, dupes now regenerate stamina while sleeping at twice the ordinary speed, they want to give the creep as little time to strike as possible. During the day, the killer pretends to be an ordinary dupe, but occasionally growls at other dupes, giving them -5 morale for a short time.
  • Doppelganger: This dupe kidnaps a random other dupe every day and hides them in a closet. Then they pretend to be them. Unfortunately they do not get the skills of the dupe taken, with predictable consequences. On the plus-side, they can construct closets, which is an enhanced storage compactor that can store 40t or one dupe. 

On 11/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, blash365 said:

Reknown Explorer - 1-3 more tiles sight radius when exploring an asteroid

Now I want this trait added to the general pool.  It would make a great trait for a "scout", someone sent to get things up and running on other asteroids.

8 hours ago, chemie said:

Would would rather build a second printer on that world and choose versus rolling the dice and having to kill a really bad negative trait dupe.

2 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

On the other hand, why not give them negative traits?

Archived