Plug Slug Calories - Production ratio

Just for anybody who wonders how the latest patch changed the plug slug wattage output:

02512804005997A853A7ACF64FB8CA3717C01C50

On 11/28/2020 at 2:32 PM, FIXBUGFIXBUGFIX said:

1.png.4ee4bd1546ad0bf99e68f108626ccd6c.png

Feeding a Plug Slug 1kg of cobald ore yields 30 kCal.

A Plug Slug burns 2000 kCal/cycle.

Feeding one Plug Slug for ~14 cycles costs ~1 ton of cobald ore. Seems like alot to me.

Does anybody have the numbers for other metals?

1 kg copper ore seems to yield ~30 kCal as well.

Having a glum sluglet does _not_ change the output of wattage, but reduces the calories consumed by day to 200 kCal (20%). Meaning 1 ton of cobald ore could keep 1 slug producing 1600W for 70 cycles. Sounds alot better that way.:D

Additionally the glum status further reduces the wattage output of the slugs after update 443064

7 minutes ago, MinhPham said:

Does the baby version produces power ?

Can they reproduce without feeding ? if they do, don't feed.

1600W seems to be a big number but if that is only for 3/24 schedule block then the average ouput is less than 200W.

Wild/Glum plug slugs should reproduce almost 2x in their lifetime (2% per cycle, 100 max age). So if you want to grow your population, you might only have to feed them a bit.

They will not produce anything when starving though. And on wild animals that is hard to anticipate.

1 minute ago, blash365 said:

Wild/Glum plug slugs should reproduce almost 2x in their lifetime (2% per cycle, 100 max age). So if you want to grow your population, you might only have to feed them a bit.

They will not produce anything when starving though. And on wild animals that is hard to anticipate.

There's 5 baby cycle and almost 5 other cycle that they still have the calories to produce power, and then 10 starving cycles. If they managed to lay an egg without and feeding then you might trade some dupe labor for some power and meat ...

Also affects wild ones, I have seen them going down to 100W. Not sure whether they can go to 0W, as you do not see calories on wild ones. But I have them in a closed room with no food, so I will find out.

Update: Seems unfed wild ones go down to 40W (i.e. ), making them pretty useless with one being able to run a light or a deodorizer.

6 hours ago, blash365 said:

Wild/Glum plug slugs should reproduce almost 2x in their lifetime (2% per cycle, 100 max age).

They seem to have the same reproduction numbers as hatches, which would mean that their actual base rate is 1.6% per cycle (ONI rounds to much).

Edit: About expanding the population for cheap. I Think all critters are born with 10 cycles worth of calories. They use one cycle's worth as babies (20% × 5 cycles). Plug slugs (assuming they are the same as hatches) will reproduce at a rate of 1 egg per 6 cycles while happy. This means you need to feed a slug 3 days worth of food the get them to stay happy for 12 days as an adult and lay 2 eggs.

If you want to go really cheap. Groom them for 9 cycles as an adult. That will give 1 egg plus 50% of the way to their 2nd egg. Then feed them 1kg of ore every 10 cycles to reset their starvation timer. Every 10 cycles will get them another 16% reproduction. Feeding them like this 4 times will let them live long enough to lay a 2nd egg. Netting you 1 more plug slug for 4kg of ore (after nearly 60 cycles)

Considering that Metal Ore is FINITE and not renewable,    Ranching Slugs just makes no sense.  They'll go extinct.

It's also entirely possibly for a 'newbie' player  to end up using all their metal ore and not be able to even make a rocket if  they don't produce any refined metal.

(no more mores falling of the sky.)

8 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

It's also entirely possibly for a 'newbie' player  to end up using all their metal ore and not be able to even make a rocket if  they don't produce any refined metal.

(no more mores falling of the sky.)

There should be sufficient iron close to the lava biome on the current starting asteroid to prevent this.

But in general i agree.

plug slugs seem to be really crap now.  especially that they die off if tamed and you stop feeding them.  i can only see using them as glum/wild, for 12kg of ore you get 100-110kj of power.  that 12kg of ore would do much better for tune ups

starting a new game, i don't think i'll ever tame one again and just keep them in a closed off room for little power and food.  they are pretty cool and i hope they change them some how

It seems that plug slugs now produce far less power when glum, I had some good times basing my power production on them (recharging A LOT of batteries over night), using many as tame/starving with one or two in a ranch to lay the eggs, then after the first nerf update, I had to feed them (so tame/glum, but fed, still 1600w) and now they are down to 320w each and my dupes are reporting to me that it's a real power supply nightmare here in the colony :D .

If I make them tame/happy again, we are back to 1600w but I don't think they are still worth it considering the ore amount and dupe time to get them all tame/fed/happy...

Archived