What's the deal with the sweedle/grubgrub?

It looks like they are morphs of the same base critter.  They can buff (any?) crops, but buffing sugar makes them tend to morph into sweedles, and grubs makes them morph into grubgrub.  Do their buffs stack?  What do they eat/excrete?  Why would you prefer one over the other?

All of this is subject to change, but currently:

Sweetle eats Sulfur and excretes Sugar (Sucrose).

Grubgrub eats Sugar and Sulfur. (And excrete nothing at the moment)

Both will tend to plants - Sweetle currently gives a 5% growth boost, and Grubgrubs give a 50% growth boost (For comparison, Farmers w/ Micro-nutrients give 100% growth boost... and they stack to 150%)

Additionally, either critter will "prune" Spindly Grubfruit plants, changing them into regular Grubfruit plants that take longer to grow -- but reward higher quality, more calorie-dense crops.

1 hour ago, Hexicube said:

Not sure if it has changed since, but both buffs can be applied to the same crop. No clue if this actually makes it +55%, +57.5% (multiply instead of add), or +50% (no stacking, which is unlikely since farmer's touch stacks).

It would be very nice if the plants listed Growth / Cycle instead of Cycles until Harvest.

Intuitively, I'm thinking it's additive.

Oh, sweedles are only 5%?  That hardly seems worth it, even if it stacks with the grubgrub.  What does the grubgrub poop?  I thought there was a plant you had to fertilize with sulfur to grow sugar?  I think I saw that grubgrubs have a 150 cycle lifespan and drop a good deal of meat ( was it 4kg? )... how about sweedles?

21 minutes ago, psusi said:

how about sweedles?

Sweetles are only 5%, but grubgrub doesn't excrete anything, and even eats what sweetles leave (sucrose), so if you want sugar, then you need the first one. They after death drop 1,600 kcal of meat.

1 hour ago, Notecja said:

Sweetles are only 5%, but grubgrub doesn't excrete anything, and even eats what sweetles leave (sucrose), so if you want sugar, then you need the first one. They after death drop 1,600 kcal of meat.

So sweedles only drop 1kg of meat, and grubgrubs drop 2kg?  Maybe it is best then to keep some of both so you can have the sweedles eat suflur, make sugar, let the grubgrubs eat that, and get both buffs and meat?

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Maybe it is best then to keep some of both so you can have the sweedles eat suflur, make sugar, let the grubgrubs eat that, and get both buffs and meat?

I think you're  better off not domesticating or feeding grubgrubs currently. Wild ones will tend plants just as well and you don't care about increased metabolism since they don't poop anything. The 4 wild ones on my current map are more than enough to boost my bog bucket farm for free. I'm also planning to try to morph some of the my many wild sweetles to wild grubgrubs.

I may domesticated one sweetle and expand the population for sugar production, but even so, there are so many wild ones on the map they might be sufficient.

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

there are so many wild ones on the map they might be sufficient.

There are tons of wild ones on the map, but you have to act fast. If you don't open their starting rooms up to the rest of the asteroid soon enough, you loose most of them.  I regularly find 4 of them in a room barely large enough to hold 2, so as soon as the first one lays an egg, the rest of them get the "cramped" status.  I just spent the last while rampaging through my map to "free" the wild critters from their starting biome cramped status. 

This seems like a flaw in the current world gen.  If a player doesn't immediately set out to "free the wild critters from their natural habitat", then the critter population dies off quite dramatically. You only get to keep 1 of the 4 critters permanently.  The same thing is true of the pacus and plugbugs (blue guys that give free power, though dramatically reduced). If you don't set them free soon enough, they won't reproduce.  Seems wrong that they spawn in a way that won't support their growth. 

I would think that our dupes are entering a habitat that has been self sustained around for thousands of years, but apparently they have to dig all the critters out before they die out. :)  

Speaking of plug slugs, watching brothgar it seemed like they produce 4x power ( 1600 watts ) just from being domesticated.  Is that right, or did they need to be groomed to stay happy and produce that much?

48 minutes ago, psusi said:

Speaking of plug slugs, watching brothgar it seemed like they produce 4x power ( 1600 watts ) just from being domesticated.  Is that right, or did they need to be groomed to stay happy and produce that much?

They produce 1600 when tame and happy, otherwise they produce 400 (if wild or glum), but now there's an additional penalty to power production based on hunger level, so their power output drops off if they don't get fed (for wild it goes down to 300 W then 200 W, I haven't tested making tame ones hungry yet) .

On 11/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, mathmanican said:

Then 100W. Then 40W. Maybe lower (havent seen yet).

Can confirm this is the floor for Wild.

I need to run the numbers but I think this is a case of Splugs feeling bad without actually being bad. (Minus the dependency on non-renewable metal ore)

Archived