Nonstandard Systems/Overengineering

Probably the best aspect of ONI to me is the near infinite number of systems/contraptions you can make. While using a test map to get things perfectly optimized is fun in itself, sometimes its fun to just try and make something you've never made before. Since ONI is all about problem solving I'm curious what some other players favorite non-standard and possibly overengineered systems they've made. I'm currently running a modded terra asteroid thats geoactive and volcanic so I'm playing around as much as possible. This is a cool steam vent tamer/polluted&salt water boiler/clean water cooler w/infinite storage that will also produce a little liquid hydrogen once I break back in to add a mini liquid pump and vent for fresh hydrogen. 

But while that was fun, nothing beats boiling water like a volcano (not as fun, pretty optimized for 10kg/sec of clean germ free and cool water.) What I really never have played around with are all the less popular critters along with some real late game stuff like regolith and insulation melting. And since I saw a post on keeping the map tidy the last pic is how I manage that. Basically everything is swept there, cooled and shipped to the main base exits right by the transit tube. Dupes leave the base, grab materials, and jump in a tube. Curious to see any fun contraptions you've all made, ideally overengineered but clean well made systems not commonly seen on YouTube would be nice. 

cool vent other stuff.jpg

cool vent other stuff auto.jpg

cool vent other stuff plumb.jpg

cool vent other stuff power.jpg

volcano boiler.jpg

solid storage overview.jpg

8 minutes ago, TripLykely said:

I'm curious what some other players favorite non-standard and possibly overengineered systems they've made.....Curious to see any fun contraptions you've all made, ideally overengineered but clean well made systems not commonly seen on YouTube would be nice.

Welcome to the forums. There are about 3 years of posts related to this.  Pick a topic, problem, game mechanic, etc., and then use the power of your favorite search engine to locate tons of examples from the forums.  The forum search tool is terrrible, so using something like Google and the string "site:forums.kleientertainment.com mechanical pipe filter" will get your info about that. If you want to see builds on pacu farms, then try "site:forums.kleientertainment.com pacu farms".  Just remember to include the ""site:forums.kleientertainment.com" bit, and then you can find all kinds of fun builds.  If you want to learn about bead pumps, bypass pumps, waterfall mechanics, escher waterfalls, and more, enjoy. 

The forums is a treasure trove of what you requested. The hard part is just learning to search through and find the treasure you're looking for.  

I set up a single-rail logistics system that would keep stock levels for many manufactured materials and deliver raw ingredients just in time. It enabled refineries and such only when backstock was low. Glorious stuff.

Oh, yah and a 20 shove vole condo starvation ranch system that would only groom a vole long enough to get it to pop out an egg then kill it.

I also like automation.

Currently working on a vegan run focusing on workable spicy tofu. I almost have something to try in survival.

Big fan of that storage system, I’ve played with a few ideas but have yet to implement something. That looks clean an efficient, maybe I’ll play with that idea next. A vegan run with spicy tofu sounds interesting, I’d be curious to see the setup, I’ve never made tofu.

36 minutes ago, occamrazor said:

Currently working on a vegan run focusing on workable spicy tofu. I almost have something to try in survival.

I did spicy tofu a while back. I like to do things directly without any experiments in sandbox, but this one worked mostly out of the box. The alcohol making and then more so the cooling of the alcohol is the hardest part. It is a lot of effort though and takes a lot of energy. On the plus side, you really learn a lot about cooling doing this.

28 minutes ago, TripLykely said:

That looks clean an efficient, maybe I’ll play with that idea next.

It was... complex, but solid.

5 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

The alcohol making and then more so the cooling of the alcohol is the hardest part.

Counter-flowing the incoming lumber against the outgoing ethanol drops it 30° C right off the bat. Gonna route it through my wild Pincha field to keep that warm then finish it off with powered cooling.

Dug up my old compact kitchen:

image.thumb.png.d7cec86cd81d99a8c8eb6645f983e2b9.png

To quote myself:

Excess eggs are sent to the top storage, where they break and fall to the floor. The thermostat is set to keep the room around a balmy 75 Celsius, which is perfect because eggs cook into omelettes at 72. The omelettes are then shipped off to be eaten.

3 hours ago, Yunru said:

Dug up my old compact kitchen:

image.thumb.png.d7cec86cd81d99a8c8eb6645f983e2b9.png

To quote myself:

Excess eggs are sent to the top storage, where they break and fall to the floor. The thermostat is set to keep the room around a balmy 75 Celsius, which is perfect because eggs cook into omelettes at 72. The omelettes are then shipped off to be eaten.

Very nice, love the simple compact design. That's something I can use in future playthroughs. 

Here's an old design that combines power free gas filtering with infinite gas storage 

Starting from the left the gases are Hydrogen, Sour Gas, Natural Gas, Chlorine, Polluted Oxygen, Oxygen, and Carbon Dioxide 

The hydro sensor in the oil works like a player controlled switch to turn on the pumps to get 1,000g/s of any type you need

20201031224805_1.thumb.jpg.bf04453ce43e32174a2dbf2f31fd02cf.jpg20201031225322_1.thumb.jpg.4cee1460e108e1696906091f501ab821.jpg20201031225454_1.thumb.jpg.7ba14113605d53bdd12e8a1ed4292d8a.jpg

Couldn't find blueprint of infinite gas storage without liquid chees, so here I go with my totally overengineered gas storage.20201102230159_1.thumb.jpg.2918419698f1fd4afbd86f3f91827552.jpg

Spoiler

20201102230458_1.thumb.jpg.92d29fbe85d3c906d2cff1e9c8a2a4ac.jpg

1. Atmo sensor sends signal when below 12000g

2. Buffer - 0.1s

3. Buffer - 0.5s

4. Buffer - 6s

5. Buffer - 0.5s

6. Buffer - 3s

7. Atmo sensor sends signal when above 18000g

8. Buffer - 3s

9. Filter - 1.5s

10. Filter - 0.2s

1 hour ago, Siradan said:

Couldn't find blueprint of infinite gas storage without liquid chees, so here I go with my totally overengineered gas storage.20201102230159_1.thumb.jpg.2918419698f1fd4afbd86f3f91827552.jpg

Hide contents

20201102230458_1.thumb.jpg.92d29fbe85d3c906d2cff1e9c8a2a4ac.jpg

1. Atmo sensor sends signal when below 12000g

2. Buffer - 0.1s

3. Buffer - 0.5s

4. Buffer - 6s

5. Buffer - 0.5s

6. Buffer - 3s

7. Atmo sensor sends signal when above 18000g

8. Buffer - 3s

9. Filter - 1.5s

10. Filter - 0.2s

That door pump is seriously overcomplicated O.o

Why not just use two weight plates and a not gate? 

Also why the atmo sensors, are the doors powered? 

On 11/2/2020 at 10:27 PM, Siradan said:

Couldn't find blueprint of infinite gas storage without liquid chees, so here I go with my totally overengineered gas storage.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:39 PM, Yunru said:

That door pump is seriously overcomplicated O.o

It is exchanges like this one that keeps me coming here ;-)

Of course, in my book everything that works is acceptable on that basis alone.

I like cooling the asteroid by venting hot exhaust gases into space. Initially kind of took it on as a hyper-realism self challenge, because, it's one way that could actually work for a real-life asteroid installation. It happens naturally on comets, too. (the other would be very large radiators with a very hot coolant)

On 11/2/2020 at 2:27 PM, Siradan said:

Couldn't find blueprint of infinite gas storage without liquid chees, so here I go with my totally overengineered gas storage

I got bored of door pumps, which lead me to explore the ONI physics engine and locate as much cheese as possible. I still think there is plenty to be found. 

Spoiler

9c55fd3f42d363a4bc03f6d9c6075cc7.jpg

11 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

I got bored of door pumps, which lead me to explore the ONI physics engine and locate as much cheese as possible. I still think there is plenty to be found. 

You got tricked! That grater cannot produce this type of grated cheese! Obviously you fell for a deepfake!

22 hours ago, mathmanican said:

image.png.83f7a129c33d115109ef5797bd9b0425.png

Some additional physics in the game would be great, I`m still waiting for the Indiana-Jones-Hanging-Bridge !

How did you know I always have Parmesan in the fridge ? No joke, I always have 2 IP packets of REAL grated parmesan in my fridge. I actually recently put REAL parmesan on to a oven baked cheese roll, but of course with a layer of chilli fire sauce in between the two cheeses...

But of course not that amount haha - Although, its probably nice to suck it all up in one go looking at the picture. :afro:

Aren`t we all a bit Kerbin ?

image.png.34d299cc8c31874ac06b1bc0e3e6c92c.png

Archived