Liquid lock = sopping wet?

I'm constructing a Petroleum-Crude Oil liquid lock and noticed that my dupes get a sopping wet debuff when going through.  I thought doing such a lock (vertical lock) would mean they wouldn't.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is there a better lock to use?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I'm constructing a Petroleum-Crude Oil liquid lock and noticed that my dupes get a sopping wet debuff when going through.  I thought doing such a lock (vertical lock) would mean they wouldn't.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is there a better lock to use?  Thanks!

dupes need to "jump" though the liquid lock to avoid the debuff and prevent exhaling which would break the lock, to do this the lock needs to be 4 tiles high so you'll need to add water and p-water to your petroleum and crude oil

here's an example I use that also has a vacuum in the center to prevent heat transfer

20181010120645_1.thumb.jpg.a35dc1a0b489538feb124e199883f0f9.jpg

here's the easiest way I know to build 4 tile high locks

20181017002320_1.thumb.jpg.60fcf41905caa4ee536cf1c4d5136394.jpg

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

dupes need to "jump" though the liquid lock to avoid the debuff and prevent exhaling which would break the lock, to do this the lock needs to be 4 tiles high so you'll need to add water and p-water to your petroleum and crude oil

here's an example I use that also has a vacuum in the center to prevent heat transfer

20181010120645_1.thumb.jpg.a35dc1a0b489538feb124e199883f0f9.jpg

here's the easiest way I know to build 4 tile high locks

20181017002320_1.thumb.jpg.60fcf41905caa4ee536cf1c4d5136394.jpg

i need this info too ! :) ty 

Okay, Neotuck, literally was trying to figure out proper liquid locks without a debuff yesterday! Thanks! 

21 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Thanks!  That did the trick!

Aside from a dupe exhaling in the lock, are there other ways that the lock gets destroyed?

The obvious, make sure the liquids are within the temp range. Crude oil, petroleum, and naphtha offer a -50 to 400 degree range. Water's fine, until you discover that uncapped volcano :)

Water falling too - make sure water can't fall next to, or trickle into the lock.

5 hours ago, TheMule said:

I think you can do that with 3 layers.

you need a 2 tile height for the height of the dupe, and a deep enough gap to prevent the dupe from "stepping down" into the lock as it runs by, which is a minimum of 2 tiles deep.  So you'll need a minimum of 4 layers

9 hours ago, Neotuck said:

dupes need to "jump" though the liquid lock to avoid the debuff and prevent exhaling

I'm on 600+ cycles and use only 2 liquid locks because others are just ugly and take too much space. Never had one break yet, be it inside the base or somewhere else. Could it be dumb luck? Also I'm not sure if visco gel can prevent exhaling.

8 minutes ago, Smife said:

I'm on 600+ cycles and use only 2 liquid locks because others are just ugly and take too much space. Never had one break yet, be it inside the base or somewhere else. Could it be dumb luck? Also I'm not sure if visco gel can prevent exhaling.

The exhaling break happens when a dupe on one side runs out of breath and runs to the nearest oxygen to catch it's breath

A dupe can pull oxygen from one tile away so it will stop INSIDE a liquid lock to catch it's breath and exhale into it causing it to break

yes, visco gel does not prevent this

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

The exhaling break happens when a dupe on one side runs out of breath and runs to the nearest oxygen to catch it's breath

A dupe can pull oxygen from one tile away so it will stop INSIDE a liquid lock to catch it's breath and exhale into it causing it to break

yes, visco gel does not prevent this

Dupes breathing in an liquid lock no longer breaks it. I'm pretty sure there was a update about it and haven't seen a broken lock since then. Also confirmed it just now. Passing through is not allowed and Nisbet has been breathing in the liquid lock for a full cycle without breaking it.

20201027142630_1.jpg

Just now, catsRjerks said:

Dupes breathing in an liquid lock no longer breaks it. I'm pretty sure there was a update about it and haven't seen a broken lock since then. Also confirmed it just now. Passing through is not allowed and Nisbet has been breathing in the liquid lock for a full cycle without breaking it.

Good to know, I wasn't aware of an update that fixed the issue

Jumping helps with the soggy feet debuf so it's still useful

16 minutes ago, catsRjerks said:

20201027142630_1.jpg

That explains it :)

46 minutes ago, catsRjerks said:

20201027142630_1.jpg

is that a dupe prisoner? as it seems there nowhere to escape

just drop there hot magma and take away his torture

1 minute ago, TheMule said:

Of course. Acquired at 1:00, not at 1:42.

well then it appears you are correct, a 3 layer lock will work in most scenarios, however if a dupe runs out of breath and runs to the lock, what's to stop it from standing in the lock to catch it's breath and getting "soggy feet"?

still a good idea when using atmo suits when breathing isn't an issue

Archived