Help! Gaming laptop for ONI

Hi guys.

I must buy new device for gaming (including ofc ONI). Because of reasons, I cannot go full PC-master-race, and I must settle with laptop.

What I must pay attention to if I want to have smooth ONI games? I assume the processor is the bottleneck here. What would be recommended for ONI and where overpriced overkill would start?

How about RAM and Graphics?

Thanks

30 minutes ago, pether said:

Hi guys.

I must buy new device for gaming (including ofc ONI). Because of reasons, I cannot go full PC-master-race, and I must settle with laptop.

What I must pay attention to if I want to have smooth ONI games? I assume the processor is the bottleneck here. What would be recommended for ONI and where overpriced overkill would start?

How about RAM and Graphics?

Thanks

this game use allot data in ram, so if you can then fastest ram as possible, if  talk about ram size then minimum 8gib for lappy self because windows needs that too. better would be even 16gb

if you talk about Linux or mac then dunno

Try GeForce Now, It's not bad

GeForce Now, now supports Don't Starve, Don't Starve Together, and Oxygen Not Included; and runs on pretty much any laptop.

So here's what I suggest buy a decent laptop with your money and play with GeForce Now if you have a good internet connection.

image.png.82de905c4bfce295374329f1c84879bc.png

7GB RAM here, default map size. OS comes on top.

The game speed scales according to this CPU list. Best is if you remove the notebook case, so you don`t run in to thermal throttling :beaten:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Try to have a cpu with a passmark score above 1700 in that list, below that I would reduce the default map size to half.

I would only play above 2400, but thats me.

I`m hoping for a 4200 - 4800 passmark cpu in a year, ONi will be great then :D

I play ONi like this, with the Noctua NHD 15 air cooler - 1.3 kilo, no pc case.

You could lay a water pipe through your noti. On a $2000 gaming notebook ONi plays ok. :lol: You need fast clock speed, large and fast cpu caches + getting rid of cpu heat fast.

Go for the least amount of cores and the highest non-turbo clock speed and best caches, the passmark single thread list is your friend.

image.thumb.png.cd9a193f659808e4115d800cabcf9563.png

image.thumb.png.e15a6591a3fc04bdd27b8a24f4ed17b0.png

You want 2 things: CPU power with lots of IPC because ONI does not scale well over many cores. A Quadcore or Hexacore is enough, but the cores itself should provide real power. And RAM. 16GB at the top bottom. With less, dont even try. It would no fun whatsoever. I have 16GB and sometimes Chrome in the background refuses to open a website because out of memory, when ONI runs.

You dont even need a dedicated GPU for ONI. The build in iGPUs are really enough for this game. Of course, if you want to play something else, that does not apply anymore.

AMD is literally the only player worth mentioning in the mobile CPU market right now. The 4000 series completely runs circles around Intel.

Fortunately that also means you can get a lot better laptop for less money since AMD 4000 series mobile CPUs is not only miles ahead of anything Intel has to offer, it's also cheaper, runs longer on a battery, and runs cooler.

I think in a year I`ll build a new ONi CPU PC...Now that AMD is pumping out great stuff again after 20 years. Another 30% single thread speed improvement beyond the Ryzen 5 5600X and its worth it for me. In combo with the multi colony DLC - Boom, boom shake the room  !

Archived