The best gem farm possible.

Would any veteran be able to show me how to build the safest and most efficient gem farm possible?
I know there are various ways to contain Varg: burnt trees; statues or walls (the latter often not recommended because they can be destroyed by hounds). What is actually the best fence?
Does catching two or more Vargs increase the amount of gems obtained per hour?
What is the most efficient killing method? I thought Houndius Shootius, but they are very expensive to obtain in large quantities; perhaps there are more economical and equally efficient methods.

Most people use catapults due to its Aoe effects and it is quite cost effective , though some use anemeneys to kill hounds and they trap the varg by telelocating it to a pen made of statues or fossils. They will also have a seperate boxed area with bait for the hounds so the hounds will go after the bait then stay around the varg. Having more vargs will increase the number of hounds so increase the rate of monsters killed. I recommend to watch a dst youtube, Gabriel for his detailed set up of his varg/gem farm. 

i always wonder what uses people have with blue and red gems to make a varg farm (if isnt a no cave world)

just curious

edit: answering your question, as others said, gabriels farm or reseting the ruins but if is for blue&red gems, then with the varg farm you will get a lot of profits for the work of making it. It takes time but after done it works forever

Yeah idk what to even do with 90+ red/blue gems acquired in one go except hoard them, late game you're swimming in blue and red gems just from hounds, clearing ruins, dfly kills etc. Varg farms while very clever and cool have always seemed like somewhat of an unnecessary luxury. Not easy to set up either.

Now if you could somehow occasionally get green gems from Varg farms? I'd be building one right now!

oh sorry the moon rock farm part is amazing though!! Moon rock walls are expensive AF =(

31 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i always wonder what uses people have with blue and red gems to make a varg farm (if isnt a no cave world)

There are 2 main uses I can think of:

1) Wasteful use of catapults, everywhere, to farm mobs and bosses since very early in the game.

2) Lakhnish's snurtle way, so you can use armor instead of kiting.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Telelocator Focus. If you make two in a world, and telelocate yourself while standing on one of them, you will be taken to the other one. So you basically can craft your own wormhole pair, but costly, and able to go anywhere on the surface, including boats and Lunar Island.

And that needs tons of purple gems

15 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

Telelocator Focus. If you make two in a world, and telelocate yourself while standing on one of them, you will be taken to the other one. So you basically can craft your own wormhole pair, but costly, and able to go anywhere on the surface, including boats and Lunar Island.

And that needs tons of purple gems

but that means a lot of travels. Where you usually place it? the most i can remember to do is to place in oasis to fast travel in summer or kill goats, other than that or decorate with mobs i always forget that item xD

but now i get that it can be costly and more if the team or the player didnt kill fw as a regular thing (thing that can takes hunder of hours to learn)

8 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but that means a lot of travels. Where you usually place it? the most i can remember to do is to place in oasis to fast travel in summer or kill goats, other than that or decorate with mobs i always forget that item xD

but now i get that it can be costly and more if the team or the player didnt kill fw as a regular thing (thing that can takes hunder of hours to learn)

I really only use it in Hamlet, though, where you can trade nightmare fuel for purple gems, and the Root Trunk connects chests together. In DST I don't find it worth it until the late-late game, after you naturally have many spare gems from many many hound waves. Then you should keep a chest full or purple gems next to each, so that you can refill the focus after every transportation.

22 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

I really only use it in Hamlet, though, where you can trade nightmare fuel for purple gems, and the Root Trunk connects chests together. In DST I don't find it worth it until the late-late game, after you naturally have many spare gems from many many hound waves. Then you should keep a chest full or purple gems next to each, so that you can refill the focus after every transportation.

hamlet has a lot of broken things... xD

for that i was curious, because naturaly you get a lot of gems without need of killing fw or doing varg farms, but i could miss a use for them or maybe i just use them not at much as i should. I always like to learn :)

52 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but i could miss a use for them or maybe i just use them not at much as i should.

My main use for excess blue gems And 95% of my moon rocks  is using them for moondial road decor, mainly for their light. It’s about as niche as it gets since they literally don’t produce light 35% of the time and the other 30% is super small light, but at least it looks nice when they do, especially if it’s a full moon out.

The screenshot is a bit outdated, but you get the idea.

938C8D40-03FB-4CCC-AD57-158773A51BFD.thumb.png.c1203b0a5ad38bffb8f836cd96c82149.png

@ArubaroBeefalo

To satisfy your curiosity: I'm creating a mod where I wanted to give new usefulness to the gems, just to give a use to the tons of blue and red gems that tend to accumulate.
So I put in some items that require a lot of gems, and I wanted to see if everything was balanced by building a Varg farm. They are just experiments. :]

13 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

My main use for excess blue gems And 95% of my moon rocks  is using them for moondial road decor, mainly for their light. It’s about as niche as it gets since they literally don’t produce light 35% of the time and the other 30% is super small light, but at least it looks nice when they do, especially if it’s a full moon out.

The screenshot is a bit outdated, but you get the idea.

938C8D40-03FB-4CCC-AD57-158773A51BFD.thumb.png.c1203b0a5ad38bffb8f836cd96c82149.png

Now that's a lotta Moon Dials. Good thing they can't burn, cause you can't dial the firefighters in the Constant hehe.

37 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

@ArubaroBeefalo

To satisfy your curiosity: I'm creating a mod where I wanted to give new usefulness to the gems, just to give a use to the tons of blue and red gems that tend to accumulate.
So I put in some items that require a lot of gems, and I wanted to see if everything was balanced by building a Varg farm. They are just experiments. :]

if it isnt too much to make a suggestion gem-glow would be amazing~ even if it is insufficient to ward off charlie it would certainly be a thing to see! i know i liked making gem roads in solo back in the day and if they glowed just a tiny bit i would do it again in together XD

Archived