Wes Character Rework Concept

The idea of this rework is to refresh Wes making him more distinct and satisfying to play, he will still being the game “hard mode” but he will have new fun abilities that can be used to help other players, himself and decorate your base.

Health: 113 Hunger: 113 Sanity: 150

Modifiers:

Damage: 0,75 Hunger: 1,25 ( New ) Speed: 1,10

( New ) Cold and Heat Isolation: 0,85 ( New ) Damage Received: 1,15

Abilities:

He is a Mime: Can’t talk.

( New ) Unlucky Mime: Wes now aggro mobs more easily and mobs take longer to lose interest in Wes.

Wes now is stuck by lighting more frequently.

Wes now attracts more Hounds than normal in Hound haves.

( New ) Mime Tools: When is empty handed he uses an invisble axe to chop trees, pickaxe to mine rocks and shovel to dig holes, the axe and pickaxe cost 1 sanity per use and the shovel 5, he don't uses a invisible spear because he is a mime of peace.

Pile o' Balloons: Removed.

( New ) Balloonomancy Tab: adds lots of news balloons for Wes and his companions.

• All balloons cost 5 sanity or 1 mosquito sack.

• Wes now can’t craft balloons without the materials.

• Balloons still blownup in a chain reaction.

• Balloons can still be pushed around.

• When crafted all balloons go to Wes inventori allowing him to give the balloons to others survivors

• All balloons, expect the decorative and the mark, have a max duration of 3 days, be in the inventori or the world.

Agro Balloon: when blownup all mobs in the screen will agro at who did it.

Damage Balloon: When blownup deals 15 damage nearby.

Sound Wave Balloon: When blownup also blows up others balloons that the player can see and confuses close range mobs.

Friendship Balloon: Can be equipped in hand, doing so will give the player a +5 sanity per minute, or can be given to a neutral creature, doing so will contract the creature for 1 minute and the creature will hold the balloon the best way it can.

Throwable Balloon: Can be thrown to deal 5 damage.

Mark Balloon: Marks the map!

Decorative Balloon: Float indefinitely and give color to the world.

( New ) Quality of life improvements:

• Now when Wes reads signs he will do his mimic and what is witten will be shown at the server chat.

• Now when Wes tries to perform an impossible action he will do his mimic and what is witten will be shown at the server chat.

• When someone uses the decorative balloon a screen will popup and the player will select the form and color.

• All balloons have unic forms, so they are easy to distinguish.

• Balloons do not interfere when placing structures.

• Webber can give friendship balloons to spiders and Wurt to merms.

• New mimic animations.

• More decorative balloons colors and formats.

Notes:

• I’m not a programmer or animator so none of this has been tested.

• English it's not my main language.

• Some ideas from gaymimeOhan

• VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Klei plz.

• Thanks for reading =^_^=

there are lots of things i would like to address at a later time but for now i'd at least like to say two things

pile o' balloons oughtn't be discarded as it is a viable map marker(for a couple days), it does give him a unique item and if you were keen on decorative balloons it would be idea to have a way to place them quickly while only taking up one invo-spot not to even go into how appropriate it is for him to be able to make balloons whenever since i is his gimmick just as woodie's axe is to him

not reading the sign is part of the restriction of wes and making him able to read signs but changing his dialogue string so that it is a server announcement kind of invalidates the whole point(he cannot tell you so only he knows what it says)

4 hours ago, gaymime said:

there are lots of things i would like to address at a later time but for now i'd at least like to say two things

pile o' balloons oughtn't be discarded as it is a viable map marker(for a couple days), it does give him a unique item and if you were keen on decorative balloons it would be idea to have a way to place them quickly while only taking up one invo-spot not to even go into how appropriate it is for him to be able to make balloons whenever since i is his gimmick just as woodie's axe is to him

not reading the sign is part of the restriction of wes and making him able to read signs but changing his dialogue string so that it is a server announcement kind of invalidates the whole point(he cannot tell you so only he knows what it says)

I would like to know what else is in your mind, besides that the reason why the pile o' balloons is because i belive a tab would be more pratical for all those new ballons, nut now you give me the ideia for a mark balloon, as for the sings I just think that don't fit with the nature of the game the fact that he is not able to read them.

4 hours ago, MrZeroLeft said:

I would like to know what else is in your mind, besides that the reason why the pile o' balloons is because i belive a tab would be more pratical for all those new ballons, nut now you give me the ideia for a mark balloon, as for the sings I just think that don't fit with the nature of the game the fact that he is not able to read them.

he is able to read them he just cannot say out loud what he read XD please understand when someone else reads the sign they say what they read out loud(to you). wes is mute(cannot speak) so he cannot tell anyone(you) what he read. it fits in the game since as someone who does not speak he does not speak

I haven't exactly agree'd with most of the reworks due to the removal of downsides or only adding simplistic downsides that don't do much, but THIS

12 hours ago, MrZeroLeft said:

( New ) Unlucky Mime: Wes now aggro mobs more easily and mobs take longer to lose interest in Wes.

Not bad. Not bad at all. Applause all around, this is an actual downside.

58 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Practices Balloon’o’mancy.

What even is “Balloon’o’mancy”?

Thank You that is all :) 

Mancy- Divination by a specified means

Divination-the practice of seeking knowledge of the future or the unknown by supernatural means.

So from what I can tell, it's the usage of the untapped supernatural power of... Balloons

1 hour ago, Brago-sama said:

Mancy- Divination by a specified means

Divination-the practice of seeking knowledge of the future or the unknown by supernatural means.

So from what I can tell, it's the usage of the untapped supernatural power of... Balloons

Balloon Battle Mech confirmed!

i suggested invisible tools too a long time ago! i think it would fit him so well and be a nice little perk. But i was thinking he could just do the actions without having to actually craft the tools. So if his handslot was empty he could starting mime chopping a tree and every second or so of chopping would deplete a few sanity points. 

The unlucky mime downside also sounds really funny and alongside the further stat nerfs would definitely make wes even more of a hardmode character. 

Unlucky Mime: Wes now aggro mobs more easily and mobs take longer to lose interest in Wes.

Speed: 1,10

i could see this being a good as long as they are done together but only if done together since a faster speed is, on its own, too good for sniping resources from merms, k bees, tallbirds and other hostiles and being a mob-magnate while at standard speed is a heavy deterrent for beginners

Damage Received: 1,10

a lot of enemies can already kill wes in 1-3 hits. his damage is appropriate for his max health and low damage output in combat

NO. NOOOOOO. NO. never ever, ever make a character for a co-op game that cannot play with others. the sad state of webber, wurt and wortox around community bases is testimony to this as they cannot base with regular characters without lots of extra precautions(like removing/barring bunny/pig men) and actively refraining from using their gimmicks.  wes would be a real and true liability to himself and others early-game at base if he attracted lightning and will always be a danger when foraging. lightning can cause fires and anyone who plays willow knows a random fire can be very bad and get you put on the auto-ban list.

i'm neutral on this one. i don't think i have played enough of the game to know how it would work out in a group setting. as for soloing it makes early game super hard but is negligible by mid-game

Balloonomancy Tab: adds lots of news balloons for Wes.

Mime Tools: Wes now can craft invisible tools with very low durability at the cost of his sanity.

Invisible Axe: Damage: 11 Durability: 10 Cost: 5 Sanity

Invisible Pickaxe: Damage: 11 Durability: 6 Cost: 5 Sanity

Invisible Shovel: Damage: 11 Durability: 2 Cost: 5 Sanity

Pile o' Balloons: Removed.

make it infinite durability, -1 sanity for every 3 uses(meaning he has the same sanity loss from cutting down a grown tree as wormwood does) and 0 damage against mobs and i would be all for this, especially if you kept pile o' and made it so that having it in your invo would make the balloon tab active(encouraging players to not throw it on the ground and forget it

All balloons cost 5 sanity or 1 mosquito sack.

Wes now can’t craft balloons without the materials.

Balloons can still be pushed around.

When crafted all balloons go to Wes inventori allowing him to give the balloons to others survivors

it feels really disingenuous to allow other members infinite use of their exclusive-use starter items and not wes. letting him keep pile 'o is much better and saves a lot of room over resources for crafting. it also means in worlds with few or no mosquitoes he can still use his gimmick. keeping the current sanity loss though is fair for non-tool balloons. for sure though it is better if balloons just drop to the ground like they currently do. i am neutral on whether or not he should be able to pick them up especially if they can be pushed around

All balloons, expect the decorative and the mark, have a max duration of 3 days, be in the inventori or the world.

i don't know enough to know if this is good or not. it feels fine to me but what do i know? i have less than 500 hours of play as wes and a notable chunk of that is solo

Agro Balloon: when blownup all mobs in the screen will agro at who did it.

Damage Balloon: When blownup deals 15 damage nearby.

Sound Wave Balloon: When blownup also blows up others balloons that the player can see and confuses close range mobs.

Throwable Balloon: Can be thrown to deal 5 damage.

that is a lot of really strong and useful stuff there. unfortunately it would negate any downside of playing as wes to have him be, what is in effect, a mage character. maxwell and wicker are sufficient, thanks.

Friendship Balloon: Can be equipped in hand, doing so will give the player a +5 sanity per minute, or can be given to a neutral creature, doing so will contract the creature for 1 minute and the creature will hold the balloon the best way it can.

i like the idea of giving balloons to mobs for friendship but the animation might cause too much lag if they are going to carry the balloon. i also feel a hand-slot item that is stronger than many of the sanity hats would be way too overpowered for anyone. perhaps instead it costs 13 sanity to craft  but gives the receiver a static 10? this way there the balloon does not benefit wes at all(in fact it is a detriment, -13 sanity is rough and with 3 being lost to the ether it discourages thoughtless uses) but does make him a good ally in a pinch and does keep him from spamming friend balloons at sea where three is enoguh to bring out wavey. it also means he can do trades with webber(silk for hats) which helps webber as he doesn't often have opportunities to base with others and can use any help he an get in early-to-mid game on pubs as well as trade with wurt(for meat) as she also has problems basing with others and has a much harder time getting manure for farm plots than other characters(her veganism means she has a very good use for crockpot foods several of which do require farm ingredients)

Mark Balloon: Marks the map!

already possible with current pile 'o. might be op to let him mark multiple places and might be abusable if there is not a hard cap on how many can be in the world at one time though it would make him a good scouting char if he coupld find things, put up a balloon and let others find him for group fights and foraging

Decorative Balloon: Float indefinitely and give color to the world.

yes, please!

Quality of life improvements:

Now when Wes reads signs he will do his mimic and what is witten will be shown at the server chat.

Now when Wes tries to perform an impossible action he will do his mimic and what is witten will be shown at the server chat.

this goes against his character and against a mechanic of the game. i covered this in an earlier post though so i will keep it brief here;

in normal game-play the character reads the sign out loud for the player. wes is a mute and so cannot say anything out loud. please keep the old way of saying nothing and gaining no information. let wes keep his secrets

All balloons have unic forms, so they are easy to distinguish.

Balloons do not interfere when placing structures.

New mimic animations.

More decorative balloons colors and formats.

lovely ideas but this is very art-intensive and would eat up a lot of dev time(and make the game a bit bulkier too). i'd personally want it but i don't see it happening unless a lot of people would be willing to play wes because of it. right now he is the least-used character in a roster of something near 20 and if giving wormwood 10-20 new flowers for trails is too much work then giving wes that many balloons if not more would be nonviable

When someone uses the decorative balloon a screen will popup and the player will select the form and color.

Webber can give friendship balloons to spiders and Wurt to merms.

no. balloons should be wes-exclusive items. please do not make him a pick 'n switch like winona.

Honestly, I am MOST excited for Wes’s idle animation And I hope it will be pulling out his balloon pillow and balloon animal, and trying to take a quick nap like we see him doing in one or two of the animated shorts, only for the balloons to burst and Wes to perform the frustrated emote.

That OR Miming himself into an Invisible box he gets himself trapped in.

43A20D30-9DD8-4460-9F51-8D50D2257F17.gif

It's really nice to be able to talk about this with the community, and I'am thankfull to you guys to help forge this idea, this post is just to give some justification.

Speed: 1,10

This is just because I think that fits wes be just a little bit faster than others survivors, and the sinergy with attracting more mobs, so he can be a decoy for team mates.

( New ) Cold and Heat Isolation: 0,85 ( New ) Damage Received: 1,15

This is because I belive wes is suppose to be the game hard mode and I wanted to emphasize this, initially I was thinking then to be 25% worst than wilson, like his others status, but I thougth it would be too much, expecialy because what I understand of the new characther desing filosofy of DST.

Wes now aggro mobs more easily and mobs take longer to lose interest in Wes.

Just think it fits him, by playing alone is a part of his downsides and with more people we'll act as a decoy.

I had the base think in mind when I thok about this, the ideia is that ligthning are supposed to hit Wes directaly and not be more frequent near him, this will give him a harder time came sprin but he can counter with Eyebrella, Rain Hat or been near a Lightining Rod, any base without one will burn eventualy anyway.

This is another perk that is just to emphasize that heis unlucky, besides it's more a blessing than a curse, more loot, it will make the early game a little bit more challenging and caotic but all hounds are supossed to focusing on him anyway if he is player in a serve, giving his allies the chance to take down one by one while he runs, and in mid to late game, heck even early if someone hammer the desert, people should have a decent trap field.

Mime Tools: When is empty handed he uses an invisble axe to chop trees, pickaxe to mine rocks and shovel to dig holes, the axe and pickaxe cost 1 sanity per use and the shovel 5, he don't uses a invisible spear because he is a mime of peace.

Thanks to Ohan I changed this, it was fitting for him to use invisible tools but I had a poor ideia compared to this one.

Wes already is a excelent character to farm nigthmare fuel, he'll still been bacause i keep the balloons costing sanity and the materials to craft axes, pickaxes and shovels are very cheap anyway.

Pile o' Balloons: Removed.

( New ) Balloonomancy Tab: adds lots of news balloons for Wes and his companions.

I still believe a tab is just better, and that these kind of new abilities are essencial for characters in DST. I've played DST for 485H and from my experience people rarely pick Wes because they like him, when they do people on the server complain, but this is a problem in the comunity not the character, or people pick him to troll, rigth now he dosen't bring nothing to the table it's a harder wilson, like wolfgang is a easyer one.

• All balloons cost 5 sanity or 1 mosquito sack.

• Wes now can’t craft balloons without the materials.

This is just to prevent Wes to craft balloons when he has 4 sanity or less, if he has a mosquito sack in the inventory it will be used intead of his sanity, this is just because I belive mosquito sack is a item that does not have much uses, think of this like wormwood trap for bee singers, or a way he can make balloons with very low sanity.

When crafted all balloons go to Wes inventori allowing him to give the balloons to others survivors

Actually I'm not really sure of this one, I believe that all characters should bring something expecial to the others survivors, it's a co-op game after all, but maybe really is better is beeing the only one who can inflate the balloons, not something easy in the middle of batlle, expecialy for him.

All balloons, expect the decorative and the mark, have a max duration of 3 days, be in the inventori or the world.

The 3 days duration is to prevent wes from beeing a changing character, I chosse this time limit because it's the current time that the pile o' balloons can exist when in the ground.

Agro Balloon: when blownup all mobs in the screen will agro at who did it.

Damage Balloon: When blownup deals 15 damage nearby.

Sound Wave Balloon: When blownup also blows up others balloons that the player can see and confuses close range mobs.

Friendship Balloon: Can be equipped in hand, doing so will give the player a +5 sanity per minute, or can be given to a neutral creature, doing so will contract the creature for 1 minute and the creature will hold the balloon the best way it can.

Throwable Balloon: Can be thrown to deal 5 damage.

Mark Balloon: Marks the map!         

as I said none of this have been tested, and I believe that this kind of abilities are now essencial, but now that i read the commentaries, i see that some of this are stronger than intended and i'll soon edit it.

• Now when Wes reads signs he will do his mimic and what is witten will be shown at the server chat.

• Now when Wes tries to perform an impossible action he will do his mimic and what is witten will be shown at the server chat.

• When someone uses the decorative balloon a screen will popup and the player will select the form and color.

• All balloons have unic forms, so they are easy to distinguish.

• Balloons do not interfere when placing structures.

I understand that this is a little part of his charm but, I believe is better prioritaze the gameplay and praticity aspects.

• New mimic animations.

• More decorative balloons colors and formats.

Well, a man can drean, can't he?

On 8/31/2020 at 10:20 PM, MrZeroLeft said:

( New ) Mime Tools: When is empty handed he uses an invisble axe to chop trees, pickaxe to mine rocks and shovel to dig holes, the axe and pickaxe cost 1 sanity per use and the shovel 5, he don't uses a invisible spear because he is a mime of peace.

Nice idea. Might be a bit too op tho

Archived