About roofs (or any form of rain shelter)

I must assume this topic has been touched before. What do you guys think about it? Why doesn't something like a stationary rain shelter exist yet?
It just seem silly that we can even craft and mend boats but somehow we don't know how to build a waterproof ceiling.
Do you think it's technically possible in DST? Let us talk about it  :)

I'm still wondering why we haven't got something like that in DST yet, the SW shelter was a good addition and I'm sure DST could use some static sunshades to protect you during summer/spring climates

7 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Lumpy Evergreen | Don't Starve game Wiki | Fandom

This is useless as soon as Willow joins the Server, I think what they’re talking about is a structure they can craft to place in their actual base, kind of like a portable tent or something like the Shipwrecked/Hamlet Shade shelter thingy (I forget the real name of whatever this is..)

11 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I don't like the idea of basically having to stand around under a shelter for long periods of time.

Ideally you should have to rely on umbrellas and rain proof gear, which dont limit your movement options.

I kinda just want the Shipwrecked Palm Leaf thing back.. but with one vital change: They have a durability once placed that slowly degraded over time, it could maybe last up to 3 days before it decays, you could repair it with Winona’s Trusty Tape or by Sewing Kit. 

But I generally dislike the idea of a permanent structure that removes some of the games challenge.. And a 100% rain proof shelter with infinite durability is defiantly a way to remove some of the games challenge.

While Eyebrella is pretty much a portable palm leaf hut for your head.. it does NOT have infinite durability.

I just like how things that didn’t have a durability in DS single player (like the Thermal Stones) got a durability in DST.. and I would expect Palm Leaf Hut to follow suit... 

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I kinda just want the Shipwrecked Palm Leaf thing back.. but with one vital change: They have a durability once placed that slowly degraded over time, it could maybe last up to 3 days before it decays, you could repair it with Winona’s Trusty Tape or by Sewing Kit. 

But I generally dislike the idea of a permanent structure that removes some of the games challenge.. And a 100% rain proof shelter with infinite durability is defiantly a way to remove some of the games challenge.

While Eyebrella is pretty much a portable palm leaf hut for your head.. it does NOT have infinite durability.

I just like how things that didn’t have a durability in DS single player (like the Thermal Stones) got a durability in DST.. and I would expect Palm Leaf Hut to follow suit...

I'd say that the things suggested in this thread would be pretty balanced considering the fact that they're imobile structures that you only benefit from as long as you're under them. You're not going to accomplish much if you wait in one spot every time it rains in spring.

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

I don't like the idea of basically having to stand around under a shelter for long periods of time.

Ideally you should have to rely on umbrellas and rain proof gear, which dont limit your movement options.

Well, me neither, but I still spend some time by the firepit when winter comes. I also use to light it when I'm at base at night, even though I have several mobile light options.
It's just a QoL addition, but mostly a coherence matter. A shelter is the first thing a survivor would think about, but then we have chests, crock pots, advanced agriculture,a handful of walls, two handful of floorings, and somehow not even Woodie nor Winona thought about tie some rope around a couple of boards and putting over their heads?
Even fantay has to follow its own logic

3 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

I'd say that the things suggested in this thread would be pretty balanced considering the fact that they're imobile structures that you only benefit from as long as you're under them. You're not going to accomplish much if you wait in one spot every time it rains in spring.

This is debatable Klei probably didn’t expect players to build a Boat Kit Bridge all the way out to Lunar Island and pretty much forget sailing was a thing..

The same way people built these Boat Bridges, they could make Palm Leaf hut Awings which would basically just be “A rainproof road of Palm Leaf Huts.”

A situation I choose to disable in my suggestion by making them downgrade overtime, requiring the player to AT LEAST keep maintenance on them. 

if you placed these infinite durability structures all over the map in small camps- you effectively remove any challenge rain would provide... and that’s something that 
Eyebrella, Ice-Flingo-Matic, and Wendy’s Sisturn do not do.... because they ALL Require maintenance or they stop working.

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is debatable Klei probably didn’t expect players to build a Boat Kit Bridge all the way out to Lunar Island and pretty much forget sailing was a thing..

The same way people built these Boat Bridges, they could make Palm Leaf hut Awings which would basically just be “A rainproof road of Palm Leaf Huts.”

A situation I choose to disable in my suggestion by making them downgrade overtime, requiring the player to AT LEAST keep maintenance on them. 

if you placed these infinite durability structures all over the map in small camps- you effectively remove any challenge rain would provide... and that’s something that 
Eyebrella, Ice-Flingo-Matic, and Wendy’s Sisturn do not do.... because they ALL Require maintenance or they stop working.

Boat bridges are unfortunate, I definitely agree with you there. But building Palm Leaf Huts at every point of interest on the mainland as well as roads between them all? Would anyone find the insane amount of time and resources to do that to be worth it just to counter rain, something that's not even that difficult to deal with in the first place?

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I always considered the palm leaf hut to be a quality of life item. It's kind of useless, and while the materials aren't THAT hard to get you often get to a point where you don't need the thatch leafs for anything so you still have to personally take some time to go chop down some palm trees.

Instead of giving it durability, which would significantly cripple it's function as a quality of life thing for players that don't mind chilling in one spot for some time (not every second of the game needs to be spent frantically doing something to succeed), make the items recipie from end-game luxury materials that are difficult to farm and better used for anything else. Take out the grassy appearance of it and make a ''mini thulecite hut''.

You can argue that ''some players could farm thulecite and would be able to make a bridge anyway''.  My counter to that, is if they're honestly good enough to farm thousands of Thulecite to make an entire continent out of roofs......is it really that big of a deal at that point? No amount of ''challenge'' is going to stop them, so it would only serve as a quality of life change and not something that ''reduces challenge''.

So make it an end-game luxury item.

13 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

that's literally what makes it balanced

Archived