[Experimental] - 424336

• Developer

Hey Grifters,

We're back! Today's update has our first attempt at a new, harder p0. Give it a quick try if you have a chance, and tell us what you think. It's meant to be a bit harder for new players, since the new perks will help them overcome after a couple of attempts. That's the theory, at least. It's hard to adjust your assumptions as a seasoned player when evaluating such things :)

Next up, perk integration and story mode!

DIFFICULTY TUNING

•     Base damage for NPCs increased from 6 to 7 at P0
  •     Increased max health of non-boss enemies by 10% at P0
  •     DEFAULT_SCALING for enemy attacks in negotiation changed from 1.5 to 1.75 DEFAULT_SCALING
  •     Reduced the delay between Impatience applications from 2 to 1
  •     Reduced scaling of Impatience from 2 to 1
  •     Increased max resolve of NPCs by 15% at P0

UI

• Removing framing from Feats list on main overlay. Fading out the main overlay top bars when showing a battle/negotiation preview panel, to free up space.
  • Adding icon amount limits to the main overlay icon containers. These limits depend on UI scaling mode and try to prevent the icons from overlapping other things. Also hiding the boons/banes on some UI screens. The relationships widget is also clickable now, instead of just its icons. Made adjustments to several details screens to accommodate the top bar
  • Making the Unlock Sets details/toggle interaction more clear. Left click toggles a set, and right click shows details. On gamepad, A toggles the set, and LT shows details. Also added focus direction overrides so that on the GameOverScreen, one can navigate to the unlock sets with gamepad, which didn't seem to be possible before.
  • Graft draft screen: The confirm button now states "Accept <graft name>" for clarity.

CARDS

• Fixed descriptions for Perfect Shape and Terror
  • Increased the composure on Rook's Rationale from 2 to 3
  • Increase damage of quick_fire_plus to 6-6
  • Reduced max xp of Serrated Edge by 2
  • Clarified description of Pressure
  • Wrath of Hesh: Simplify argument text.
  • Cash Out: Try a descriptive variant for clarity.
  • Lumin Kunai: Now inflicts 2 damage for each card played, as per the description.
  • Amnesiator: Should never apply to NPC cards.

GENERAL

• The day 1 boss is now decided at the end of the do_market_job objective in sal_story_day_1.lua to prevent reloading to get a different boss
  • Fixed a bug where event_fantastic_trainer.lua didn't update the title of your pet after training
  • weapons_supplier no allows you to skip the item  (previously you had to take it but could remove it from the deck screen)
  • event_found_by_lumicyte now checks that you can own a pet
  • Bandit tent encounter: Don't default present player, as the player enters as part of the confront dialog.

View full update

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Played a bit of Sal and Rook on P0. Some of the fights were tough enough to be interesting but never enough that I felt like I wouldn't win. Got stuck with lua crashes on Sal after Zyn's fight and gave up. I picked all of Sal's "hard missions" and I think someone who had never played a deck building game and was learning would find the fights interesting without being intimidating.

Diplomacy was super easy. I think I finished day 1 missing 1 or 2 resolve and day 2 would have been full.

I tried to play Sal all the way through but I just didn't have time to keep doing Zyn. :-(

I think new players will like it but I think the bosses aren't enough of a challenge for them.

6 hours ago, Snortlepig said:

I tried to play Sal all the way through but I just didn't have time to keep doing Zyn. :-(

For me, it was Eonwe. 

Negotiation, Battle, Eonwe goes down, take rewards, crash

Rinse and repeat

Seems like whatever was done to prevent people from leaving and returning to get a decent graft is causing a crash

As far as evaluating how it is for new players, I really doubt I can do that.  A new player likely isn't going to take 10 shills over a new card 80-90% of the time, and I can't bring myself to take cards that will only hinder my deck.

To try and evaluate, I started a game with Sal, with all decks disabled, on prestige zero.   I took the rarest card available every time, to simulate a brand new player.  Day one was pretty easy.  I got past the first boss without crashing.  On day two, I went to work for the Admiralty, and I accepted the tax collection quest, because I wouldn't know not to as a new player.  I lost all resolve by the second merchant negotiation.

Edited by The GSW
  • Like 1

Not sure if it was picked up by the crash reports, but I've gotten Lua crashes when exiting the post-skirmish rewards screen in Undermine quests as both Rook and Sal in brawls and after killing the spree (Blane, if it matters) in the Tunnel Rats quest in Sal's storyline. Didn't crash when negotiating with him and exiting that rewards screen, though.

e:OK cool, it does show what happens in the crash report. Just got another one after the rewards screen in a Murder for Hire quest.

Edited by sjp