Hamlet and shipwrecked characters for dst

This is what I think, in order of most likely to be implemented, to least:

• Woodlegs. With the Return of Them update being so heavily based on seafaring, this is by far the most likely candidate to be added after Warly. Add to it that he could have a boat cannon add-on, and could add other pirate theme items (like pirate hat, and the spyglass).
  • Walani. A situation similar to Woodlegs, but she seems less teammate oriented (the cannon would benefit everyone to an extent, her surfboard would only benefit her). And sure, Woodie-goose will probably outclass her generally, but it would still be a fun mechanic. However, she would need a few changes/improvements as well, because right now she is only a surfer Wilson.
  • Wheeler. This is actually a tie between Wagstaff and Wheeler. Mostly because it is hard to choose, on one hand Wagstaff is perfect for DST, on the other Wheeler is very popular. Sadly, it is true that she is very similar to Walter with very minor differences:
    • Wheeler can hit harder in a shorter time span since her minimum damage with the pewmatic is ~34. And she can also use almost anything as ammo. However you need many items to be able to keep firing the pewmatic. She is also faster under normal conditions and can stack with other sources of speed boost, but carries less items.
    • Walter can hit harder in a larger time span as he can craft 10 stone pellets for 1 rock (~17 dmg/per stone pellet, so ~170 dmg/rock), and gold pellets do much more damage. He also has a speed buff and extra item slots in Woby. So yeah, even though they can differentiate, they overlap way too much.
  • Wagstaff. As I said before, he is amazing for DST with his thumper and his telebrella (which I assume everyone will be able to use). But like Wheeler and Walter, Winona fills a similar role to Wagstaff, although it is not as overlapping as Wheeler-Walter. So, he still has a space.
  • Wilbur. Outside of fun-factor. I just don't see much use or theme for him unless you add more monkeys
  • Wilba. Given her lore, it would be weird to see her in DST unless they add the pig village.
  • Warbucks. Uh... *Vietnam flashbacks*. Joke aside, I would like to see him making a return,with a trophy hunter or even a poacher theme. But, that is not going to happen. At all.

A lot of folks seem to think that many of the shipwrecked/hamlet characters shouldn't be added to DST because they have quite a bit in common with the existing characters. I don't think that's really a bad thing at all though! I mean, we already have Wolfgang and Wigfrid who are both combat oriented characters and Wendy and Willow who are both familiar oriented characters. I think that all of the remaining Don't Starve cast can be tweaked enough to stand out on their own while still overlapping with other characters. As for a couple of personal ideas..

Spoiler

Walani: I thought that it'd be interesting if her surfboard could be the sole thing in the game that controlled and worked like the boats in shipwrecked do, giving her the unique ability to travel across the sea very cheaply and much more accurately than other characters using the standard boats. Perhaps she could craft different kinds of surfboards, like an all around default one, a combat one that makes her do more damage but could be slower, and a fast one that has less durability. And while other characters wouldn't be able to surf on them, maybe they could still carry them in their inventory and if they're on a boat that breaks, it could work like a life jacket and circumvent all the penalties of drowning. This would be represented by them using it to safely paddle back to shore. (instantly that is, you wouldn't have to watch it or have any control) I think that could make for small but interesting team based perk related to sailing.

Spoiler

Wilba: While her werepig form would obviously have to be altered, I admittedly have no idea exactly how. I wouldn't want it nerfed into the ground since it was a big part of her character, but maybe it could be made into a double edged sword with equal upsides and downsides? I did however have an idea on how we might go about her relationship with pigs though, by introducing them to the horror joy of capitalism! By upgrading an existing pig house with certain materials, she can turn said house into a vendor stall. The pig living there would become a merchant and randomly select a few things from a larger pool of related items to sell, changing stock every couple days. There would be different kinds of merchants and the kinds of things that they sell would correspond to the materials used to initially create the stall. Players would have to use oinks to buy stuff, which only Wilba would be able to craft from gold nuggets. And note that you wouldn't actually go inside their houses, you would just click on them and it would open up a small interface. Overall this would serve as a an alternative means to acquire a variety of different materials, even rarer/harder to renew ones like gears, gems, and thulecite.

While I like your ideas for Walani- I was picturing something more uhh “Team Oriented” for her..

Lots of people don’t like Walani because they feel she is useless, but there judging her based entirely off her single player playstyle and NOT whatever amazing rework Klei gives to her.

What If- For example Walani could carry an extra passenger on her surfboard, and IF said Passenger happens to be WURT then Wurt would have. Special team perk when paired with Walani where she can sit on the back of the surfboard and wave her hand around in the water literally “hand fishing” and pulling up Pet fish for the low low cost of Nothing.

This Synergy works best because- If Walani doesn’t ferry the Wurt where Wurt wants to go.. Wurt can jump off the surfboard and wash up on shore unaffected by drowning penalties.

What could a Wurt/ Walani Combo do that you currently Can’t do in game? How about- Gather Kelp and all the other resources Wurt otherwise wouldn’t have till Mid-Late game?

I honestly really don't want Walani if we get another DLC character. I feel like Woodlegs would fit better as an ocean traverser and I believe that Walani really wouldn't do much else than use her surfboard on the ocean for herself (there aren't even any waves in the ocean either). I also don't love the idea of a character being added for the sake of winning a popularity contest either, but this is after all just my own opinion.

I don't think there's quite enough ocean in DST for Woodlegs to be worthwhile, considering he loses sanity whenever he isn't on a boat.

I feel like Wilbur could also be tweaked to work just fine, his mechanics being shipwrecked-reliant could be fixed by extending the range of his influence to Spulmonkeys too.

It doesn't even really have to make sense, non-Hamlet pigs didn't used to be under Wilba's authority and then suddenly they were. Just do that again.

In defense of Woodlegs, his original perk was going to be him turning into a skeleton(think pirates of the carribean curse) and having advantages/disadvantages based on that. 

While it wasn't possible to do in Singleplayer, perhaps they have learned since then and can make an undead character for DST?

On 8/17/2020 at 11:38 AM, Mike23Ua said:

While I like your ideas for Walani- I was picturing something more uhh “Team Oriented” for her..

here's my new perk - Walani can craft/use pool noodles (here's some of the pool noodle lifehacks i can find)

tool holders, sea chest, sprinklers, rafts, water lanterns, 'lighter'saber, insulator/water proof, plant pot filler, decor such as walls, water blasters

Walani could be the polar opposite to Willow's fire perks - sprinklers could fire proof the base and speed up plants, maybe she can bring (pool noodle version) palm leaf hut, water blasters could combo well with electric weapons (vs WX-78 in PvP)

18 hours ago, Karmattack said:

I don't think there's quite enough ocean in DST for Woodlegs to be worthwhile, considering he loses sanity whenever he isn't on a boat.

They could easily tweak the rate to something acceptable. Maybe too like Walter, no sanity loss from other sources.

Archived