Best scheduling practices?

What is the best scheduling practices?

as i tend to play with fairly a lot of dupes, i tend to make a lot of recreation items, and those usually take long time to complete for dupes, so even with a 4 block downtime and 2 block sleep (in comfy bed they rarely need more then 2), they wont finish their bath/sauna etc before they are to go work again, so their stamina won't be back up.

so in my last colony i figured that i throw them the other way around, sleep first, then go toilet break, eat etc. but, i noticed that dupes will get up from bed immediately the downtime or bath time start, i guess because of full bladder? as if they had their toilet break before bed, they tend to sleep in to get 100% stamina before going to work.

is there any good way to schedule that makes your dupes take their well deserved breaks and sleep well, that don't require like 6-7 slots of downtime?

I rarely go too overboard on scheduling - lots of downtime, couple of bars of sleep, profit.

In terms of shifts - I'll sometimes do a day/night shift if i'm running a large colony (say 24+ dupes) and I can be bothered waiting for nocturnal dupes/early birds - but it's rare and time consuming.

4 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

I always use # of dupes / bathrooms = # schedules.  

Yes, this. It helps a lot.  Your dupes tend to do their restroom break at the beginning of their break time.  If they have to wait in line, then whatever break task they were participating in will be interrupted when a toilet comes available.

I stagger groups by a few hours with the same schedule.  So not everyone is trying to get to the bathroom at the same time.

When you have the schedule broken up enough that someone is always working you don't have those situations where you assign something fairly high priority RIGHT AS break time hits.

5 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

I always use # of dupes / bathrooms = # schedules.  So, 12 dupes with 3 bathrooms get 4 schedules.  That way everyone has their own bathroom available when needed.

My math skills are a little bad when it comes to division, so I just go 12 dupes with 1 bathroom for 12/1 = 12 schedules. :) 

3 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Yes, this. It helps a lot.  Your dupes tend to do their restroom break at the beginning of their break time.  If they have to wait in line, then whatever break task they were participating in will be interrupted when a toilet comes available.

I usually do 1 unit bathroom - 2 or 3 units sleep -  3 units relax. That way the long things like the sun-chair work well. I used to switch to that later, but now I do it right from the start. Up top 12 dupes I have shifts of 3, for 16 dupes shifts of 4 and, I think, I never had more than 16 in a game.

Archived