My Petroleum Boiler Isn't Working

I've spent many many cycles building a petroleum boiler.

I turn it on, and the heat won't transfer through the steel door.

The window tile below is 700c+

The steel door is only 200c

What am I missing? I even tried reloading the game in-case the game had bugged out. (Which just increased the rock from 2 to 3 tiles weirdly)

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

HeatEnchange.png.7b72e4f8c3c9403ea2f863aa713b4c15.png

It looks very much like a Francis john boiler. Instead of a diamond tile directly underneath the door, you need a tempshift plate in a vacuum tile ( so no gas invades the door when it is open)

You should be able to make the adjustments by diagonally building from the bottom right. 

Also, unless you customized it, you shouldn't have 3 tiles of magma, they should be 2. Be careful when the boiler is in the emptying phase, the driller might not have time to dig. EDIT: I just read it was caused by reload, and now that I think about it it happened to me as well. Just monitor the emptying phase and may be give 10 extra seconds, just this time, to the driller to dig all 3 tiles, otherwise they will pile up

Thanks, so the good news, it actually started to work (I think I messed up the first drop and didn't get enough lava), the bad news, I left my switches to start it attached, and when I came back the lava had emptied in to the side and melted a few things.

I was just trying to figure out how to recover from 600C gas and even hotter rock, which evaporates the crude oil liquid lock, when I saw one of my dupes was a zombie!

I managed to find a save 10+ cycles earlier where I saw no zombie spores and started from that (still after the lava incident though. :( )

But a few cycles later the spores are back (I see nothing creating them though, I though it was just sporchids). I've blocked off most of the spores.

So now I'm thinking with a zombie spore outbreak and a broken boiler that I can't figure out how to cool down enough to rebuild at my only volcano...I'm going to restart.

Although, I'm still not sure how you deal with zombie spores, as they seem to transfer with the oil. Do I have to just boil the oil into petrol?

20 minutes ago, Kerrin29 said:

Although, I'm still not sure how you deal with zombie spores, as they seem to transfer with the oil. Do I have to just boil the oil into petrol?

I have watched a slickster eat poisoned crude, and then poop out zombie spore crude.  Cooking the crude to petro doesn't fix it. Cooking the petro to sour gas then transfers the germs to gas, at which point I'm guessing they can get into the NG.  From there, when you burn the NG in a generator, the CO2 will have spores.  Then they multiply, and get into your oxygen.  That's my guess.

I generally lock up any crude oil I see with spores in it, till I'm ready to use a chlorine decontamination center on it.  It never dies in the stuff, but doesn't grow either (that requires CO2). 

On 7/9/2020 at 12:24 PM, suxkar said:

Also, unless you customized it, you shouldn't have 3 tiles of magma, they should be 2. Be careful when the boiler is in the emptying phase, the driller might not have time to dig. EDIT: I just read it was caused by reload, and now that I think about it it happened to me as well. Just monitor the emptying phase and may be give 10 extra seconds, just this time, to the driller to dig all 3 tiles, otherwise they will pile up

I recently built this same Francis John boiler. I suppose the three magma tiles exist because of an error I made below the door. The fix was to change the filter gate above the autominer from 20 to 30 seconds.(I got liquid lead in my "waste" tile below the bottom mech door. Someday I'll fix it out. But it's 600+C so I'm in no rush.

Archived