Can we decouple Coal Plant Fuel Requests from Automation?

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I have 4 coal plants in a power plant connected to a smart battery both power and automation, fuel request threshold is 100% and logic high / low on the smart battery is 60 / 20 respectively. Therefore, the batteries are NEVER fully charged therefore the coal generator should always be requesting coal when it isn't full, right? Well apparently whenever the coal plant receives a red signal from the smart battery it clears out the coal delivery errand which can be observed by watching the coal plant's status page. Maybe I'm wrong and need to do things a bit different but it seems like the only potential solution available to me is to increase my energy storage so that it takes a bit longer to hit that red signal enough time for the dupes to execute that delivery errand. 

Normally, I wouldn't have an issue with solving the problem that way but the game text is obviously wrong in this scenario as on the fuel request threshold tooltip it states: "Duplicants will be requested to deliver coal when the total charge of the connected batteries falls below <fuel threshhold, 100% in my case>". Since the charge of the connected batteries never reaches 100%, that fuel request errand should not be removed in my mind. If the automation is going to override that errand then it seems like the tooltip should reflect that if it is intended. Otherwise, this seems like a bug to me.

Jak - you are correct.  The coal gens only submit refill requests while they are enabled.  So you've got only a few moments (in most power grids) before the smart battery shuts them down again and cancels the refill request.

Neotuck's right, sweeper arms are almost a requirement if you intend to use coal gens.  Note that 1 arm can supply 3 gens (actually more if you get creative with your layouts, but 1 to 3 is just a simple 4 tile high room). 

One thing that can help somewhat is your battery setting.  Why 60/20?  Why not 90/10 or even 95/5?  That will give you a little more time for deliveries to be completed and it won't be affecting your efficiency much (if at all).

8 hours ago, Soulwind said:

One thing that can help somewhat is your battery setting.  Why 60/20?  Why not 90/10 or even 95/5?  That will give you a little more time for deliveries to be completed and it won't be affecting your efficiency much (if at all).

Totally with soulwind on this. And store coal close to the generator 1 coal only storage with high priority is enough until you have sweeper arm

6 hours ago, Artorias36 said:

I also noticed you cannot use a microchip on a generator if is not enabled.

I find microchips to be a waste in general, they use up a too much dupe time and becomes useless if the generator gets disabled by automation

4 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I find microchips to be a waste in general, they use up a too much dupe time and becomes useless if the generator gets disabled by automation

They would be worthwhile if the microchip time didn't include times it wasn't running.

3 hours ago, Zarquan said:

They would be worthwhile if the microchip time didn't include times it wasn't running.

That. The way they work now, they make sense only on gens that run forever, that is, not controlled by smart batteries.

On 6/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, Neotuck said:

I agree.    Too many downside to the power plants.  

1. You have to use refine metal to make the chip.    Might not be too bad late game if you just use the refine iron from space. But by late game  does it even matter that much.  You get solar panels.  

2. Too much dupe time is spent on installing the chip.  They also have to make the chip.  Waste time delivering the metal as well.      And most of the time they place the power plant on the lowest priority for operation duties.   Takes too long to install. They end up going to the bathroom or eatting or sleeping before the chip finishes. 

3. Last only 3 cycles which is rather short.   But on top of that the buff ticks down when buildings are disabled via automation so you're wasting the chip install.    

It needs to be fixed where chips are added in like fast. Allow arm sweepers to install them.   The skill point is still needed to produce the chip of course.   And the chip is only consumed   when power is generating or rather paused on the debuff timer count down when the generator is disabled.    

Basically they should behave same way as fertilizers for plants for it to be useful.  Meaning if I give meal wood dirt   it only uses the dirt as it grows. 

4 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Basically they should behave same way as fertilizers for plants for it to be useful.  Meaning if I give meal wood dirt   it only uses the dirt as it grows. 

It does work the same way as fertilizers for plants; the plant continues to consume it even if it isn't growing.  And the micronutrient fertilizer buff also continues to count down and expire.

4 hours ago, psusi said:

It does work the same way as fertilizers for plants; the plant continues to consume it even if it isn't growing.  And the micronutrient fertilizer buff also continues to count down and expire.

I don't use farm stations but   I could have sworn the dirt is not consumed over time if the plant is disabled 

5 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

I don't use farm stations but   I could have sworn the dirt is not consumed over time if the plant is disabled 

They don't, both irrigation and solid fertilizer like dirt is not consumed by stiffed plants.  Only the Farmer's Touch buff is unaffected

Just tried this setup and again I'm left to wonder if I just don't understand how things are supposed to work or if things are just unplayable / broken right now. The auto sweeper does absolutely nothing. The idea was that I would have the coal plants closed off from duplicant intervention, they would drop coal into the system where the sweeper would deliver it to the plants when they needed it. The available errand shows up as expected on the coal plants but the sweeper does not respond. The conveyer receptacle has priority 1 and the empty coal plant has priority 9. The coal that was already in the system was from manual duplicant deliveries before the system was sealed.
image.thumb.png.0e856c23f496b0b0f4a215d3cc1181fd.png

Archived