[Game Update] - 418018

• Developer

Another patch on the Testing Branch. Thanks for all the feedback!

• Removed periodic debug pausing that was accidentally added.
  • Partial fix for Wind Tunnel requiring gas underneath to function
  • Fixed the melting temperature of solid Methane
  • "Underway" text on starmap screen is now localizable
  • Duplicant age in Bio panel is now localizable (known issue: age is always 0, which will be fixed in the next patch)
  • Fix solid flaking temperature deletion. Uses the actual energy required for the melt, as well as the SHC of the transition element.
  • Insulated pipes/vents are now blue in the Plumbing/Ventilation overlay, rather than orange, to differentiate them more from radiant pipes/vents
  • Update strings for Chinese, Korean, and Russian
  • Outhouse now handles dirt correctly. Dirt is consumed per usage (13kg), Polluted Dirt output now includes Dirt used (6.7kg -> 19.7kg). Dirt is not destroyed on clean (it's dropped with the Polluted Dirt), and is not returned in full on deconstruct. A full supply of dirt is required to become usable after cleaning.
  • Duplicants and Robo-Miners should no longer infinitely dig. Please let us know if you see any new oddness with digging.

View full update

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Insulated pipes/vents are now blue in the Plumbing/Ventilation overlay, rather than orange, to differentiate them more from radiant pipes/vents

That seems like a very good idea. 

12 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Duplicants and Robo-Miners should no longer infinitely dig. Please let us know if you see any new oddness with digging.

Excellent, thanks. Will start testing that immediately!

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Priceless !!!

31 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Fixed the melting temperature of solid Methane

@mathmanican well, as you said I think it should fixe the diamond tile disappearing bug I had in previous 3-PONG designs.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fix solid flaking temperature deletion. Uses the actual energy required for the melt, as well as the SHC of the transition element.

Awesome.  But now I am in a conundrum.... Do I go with "flaking" or do I go with "partial melting."  Oh well, I guess either way the abuse has hopefully ended. So long flaking abuse. :applouse:

@TripleM999 at least we still have the piss cooler, "Fresh Breeze™", the "Temperature Swa(m)p Borg Doomsday Device", all necessary replacements for the doomsday freezer.  

@Ipsquiggle, I assume you guys have seen our latest monstrosities over here. We're abusing a temp swap issue that comes into play when you guys try to rapidly equalize heat, but doing so would cause a low mass gas to increase to high in temperature. Liquid flow let's us do this extremely quickly, but door pumps are just as abusable.  The thread I linked to has not been summarized yet, but I think it has enough to help you see what we are exploiting. The end of that thread deals with why direction of liquid flow matters in counterflow heat exhangers (with a possible cause for the bug), and I hope to have that isolated and exploited by the end of the week. If you beat me to the fix, I won't complain. I hope all this helps make the game better.  You guys rock. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• Developer
35 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Do I go with "flaking" or do I go with "partial melting."

Some parts of the game have as many as 3 or 4 names coming from asset files, code classes, IDs, design documents, and casual conversation... and then inevitably the community gives it yet another name! Conversations about various bugs are always interesting. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

"Underway" text on starmap screen is now localizable

Thx

Now this String have a problem. all my duplicant have wrong infomation, all of them show 1 clycle age and the way to show their status is inverted "Age: cycles 1" (Edad: ciclo 1)

bug report.jpg

In this build, every time a Mechanized Airlock is opened (no mods enabled), it drops debris consisting of its construction material in chunk form:

image.thumb.png.ea01c3d7b0877d29b0066ee4905d9982.png

I for one enjoy having free metals in many circumstances, but the chunks do mess with some of my builds.

Edited by Peter Han
Formatting
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Peter Han said:

I for one enjoy having free metals in many circumstances, but the chunks do mess with some of my builds.

So we get a metal refinery without needing high temps. Thanks for the find. I assume this one will get a little more love. 

2 hours ago, Peter Han said:

In this build, every time a Mechanized Airlock is opened (no mods enabled), it drops debris consisting of its construction material in chunk form

Hardcore one. Should get an update very soon.

• Haha 1

I wonder did they fix micrograms of metal on conveyors never exchanging temperatures? Because I have lot of hanging situations when taming metal volcanoes with temp sensors on conveyors and there are few mcg packets sitting still at 900C+.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter Han said:

In this build, every time a Mechanized Airlock is opened (no mods enabled), it drops debris consisting of its construction material in chunk form:

image.thumb.png.ea01c3d7b0877d29b0066ee4905d9982.png

And here I though my dupes were just getting lazy in cleaning up the debris ;-)

That is to say, I do observe the same issue. 2x100kg per opening cycle seems to be what gets generated.

7 hours ago, OxCD said:

Hardcore one. Should get an update very soon.

Probably before the weekend. Need to build many, many doors fast! On a completely unrelated note, this also works with Thermium doors....

Edited by Gurgel

On 6/24/2020 at 12:44 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Fix solid flaking temperature deletion. Uses the actual energy required for the melt, as well as the SHC of the transition element.

I like the fix. I just checked it. No more doomsday freezer. I can still melt solids partially, but it requires the right amount of heat (from a cursory glance). 

image.png.661057fdd0d5c4e81d6215b5a792b346.png

I guess regolith flaking and abysalite flaking for almost no heat lost are things of the past.  :wickerbottomthanks:

I spent the day working on mass deletion in steam turbines. Something weird is going on. 

Spoiler

I was hoping to eat this bug up for dinner, but I think it ate me instead. Save/Load bugs are practically intractable on the player end. 

Edited by mathmanican
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 3:44 AM, Ipsquiggle said:

Uses the actual energy required for the melt, as well as the SHC of the transition element.

Does this mean that the amount of heat used for flaking is calculated by the child's SHC?
In other words, is Abyssalite → Tungsten advantageous for flaking, and Regolith → Magma is advantageous for normal melting?
I was a little confused about this specification.
I was pretty sure I thought the developers were adjusting flaking to get the same heat consumption as normal melting.

Achievement "Not Okay But Pretty Cool"  still bugged.    I have buildings under 6k  and nothing happened.  at 6k even..

Saved and reload.  No check off.

reloaded 2nd time and it works.

Edited by RonEmpire

2 hours ago, kbn said:

In other words, is Abyssalite → Tungsten advantageous for flaking, and Regolith → Magma is advantageous for normal melting?

I haven't played with those two, but I did play with ice/hydrogen. Water's SHC was used for flaking, so you're better off just melting ice regularly . I guess it's time to check out abysalitte (and getting tungsten could still be viable). 

On 6/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

various bugs are always interesting

I added a bug report for the gas temp swapping bug that afflicts steam turbines and can be abused to make a new borg cube. I didn't see one for it, and figured adding a report may help you track it and record the status.

@Ipsquiggle, I also added a bug report on how phase change temperature reductions are affecting too many cells, resulting in even more heat deletion.  Neither the bug above, or this one, are intuitive in designing machines. I hope they both can be eliminated so that we don't have to design around them. 

• Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, HeatEngine said:

Abyssalite flaking requires roughly 3.5% of energy

This is right on par with 0.136/4 = 3.4%. Thanks for sharing. 

@Ipsquiggle, was this the intended plan, or do we need more modifications?  Does the energy balancing need to take into account both SHC's, the parent SHC up to melting point, and the child SHC for the remaining 3K?  If this was intentional, we can work with that.

You did decimate the hydrogen/ice combo (since SHC of water is much higher than ice). I'll have to play around more and see what monstrosities we can produce. :)   I'll look for some worst case scenarios (abysalite is a good example). 

Edited by mathmanican

16 hours ago, mathmanican said:

or do we need more modifications?

If the developers are modifying the flaking further and the advantage of tungsten production from Abyssalite diminishes,
As a next alternative, I would pour hot liquid niobium into a Germ Sensor to produce tungsten.

https://streamable.com/e8hz97

Germ Sensor (Tungsten 25kg + Plastic 50kg) + Heat → Liquid Tungsten 75kg
In other words, it converts plastic into tungsten.

Since the Germ Sensor is repeatedly melted and installed, it is not possible to building a system that does not require user operation, but the amount of heat used is quite practical.
The Germ Sensor's Heat Capacity is equivalent to 5 kg of tungsten, so the heat of melting 5 kg of tungsten can produce 75 kg of liquid tungsten.

Perhaps, regarding Heat Capacity of the building made from multiple elements including Germ Sensor, it may be an unintended bug, so I will post it on the bug tracker.

Edited by kbn
  • Thanks 1