Walter's role

There are plenty of threads complaining about Walter, big surprise right? How about some positivity? I'm hoping to start a list of things that Walter does WELL!

1) Obviously, he is a great character to gather the marble sculptures and lunar whatevermajiggers.

2) He can easily kill birds while out and about, no reed farming required.

3) He can spend long periods in the caves without sanity penalty, making him a decent cave-baser. (I personally do not think this makes him a better ruins rusher, because bishops wreck his sanity)

4) His inventory potential is unmatched with the extra slots Woby gives him.

That's what I've got so far, please add to my list!!

Overall, Walter is supportive character gather mixed supportive ability from other characters

cheap and long durability tent vs Wortox's soul ( healing ability at cost of hunger )

story telling vs Wendy's sanity station ( regen sanity )

easy morsel from rabbit to hire pigs for chopping logs vs Woodie&Maxwell ( quick logs farming at more cost )

so far Woby doesn't help too much in ruin spelunking because of monkey

I hope Walter's inventory slot will be reduced,

and the reduced parts are become higher priority pellets slots

for now, changing type of pellets would easily mixed with other items

it is confusing to find the pellet you unload

this is great potent if Klei decide to nerf Walter slots and Qol for pellets features

I hide my negative parts inside the little box

Spoiler

Walter should be designed way more solo-player style, better slingshot dps at cost of his downsides

his tent is way too cheap, uses should be halved into 5 uses, this won't affect gameplay too much

but increase a little time to prepare for a single tent

7) He's able to slow down a wimpy Wolfgang with a Ice Cube and a statue on his back who's walking in the Oasis Desert during a Sandstorm above a web covered sinkhole while being sleepy & being attacked by the Bee Queen by 33%, if PvP is enabled.

36 minutes ago, KeshS said:

He can slow down koalefent and has enough time to actually hit it with a walking cane.

But wouldn't it be cheaper and more efficient to just get the aggro the koalefant with a normal stone pellet? It will stop running and attack you.

Slow pellets are good to ditch some chasing enemies, although they are a bit expensive for everyday use, I'd have made them a lot cheaper.

Post patch big Woby is an efficient mobility perk, Walter can move around the surface map and caves very fast at a relatively low cost (1 monster meat (MM) every 3/4 of a day to keep the speed, or if big Woby got slow already and you wanna make sure, just give it 2 MM , a third MM half a day later, then start counting to 3/4 of a day from there). Monster jerky has a long inventory time and works the same.

Big Woby lets Walter move around very fast even before a Walking cane, and even if he makes a piggyback early game.

Even though you can fight riding with the slingshot and fully armored, like with marble armor (speed won't be affected while riding) I don't recommend it unless you are S tier in kiting. A single hit from anything will throw you to the ground and whatever was attacking you, will get a few free hits, and damage your sanity severely. Nevertheless its an option.

Big Woby has a melee attack of 10 damage, with her great speed I find it cheaper and faster to kill butterflies than the slingshot, while you are doing other things. (Dont get big Woby just to kill butterflies, ofcourse...)

Big Woby, Woby's extra storage, and no sanity lost over time are his most efficient perks in my opinion. I can see the slingshot just not being used at all in a long enough game, or maybe loaded with 60 freezing pellets, so it works as a one slot long duration crowd control item.

27 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

7) He's able to slow down a wimpy Wolfgang with a Ice Cube and a statue on his back who's walking in the Oasis Desert during a Sandstorm above a web covered sinkhole while being sleepy & being attacked by the Bee Queen by 33%, if PvP is enabled.

While also trying to push a beefalo.

59 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

and wearing a piggyback with the backpack slot mod enabled.

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Big Woby, Woby's extra storage, and no sanity lost over time are his most efficient perks in my opinion. I can see the slingshot just not being used at all in a long enough game, or maybe loaded with 60 freezing pellets, so it works as a one slot long duration crowd control item.

This is a great idea actually. I often carry an ice staff and this just has so many more uses which are more efficient as well since it takes fewer hits(although attacks slower). 

I don't know, however, if this can be used to put out fires. Do you? (I ask bc putting out fires is honestly the main reason I carry an ice staff)

51 minutes ago, Raeku said:

I don't know, however, if this can be used to put out fires. Do you? (I ask bc putting out fires is honestly the main reason I carry an ice staff)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for that. It's only a combat alternative to the ice staff.

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for that. It's only a combat alternative to the ice staff.

Letting the slingshot target structures with freeze pellets for cooling things off would be really cool...

7 hours ago, Raeku said:

There are plenty of threads complaining about Walter, big surprise right? How about some positivity? I'm hoping to start a list of things that Walter does WELL!

1) Obviously, he is a great character to gather the marble sculptures and lunar whatevermajiggers.

I have issues with most of these:

1) I HATE that one of his best ammunition is marble. I cannot stand marble farming, it is such a tedious and annoying process. 

7 hours ago, Raeku said:

3) He can spend long periods in the caves without sanity penalty, making him a decent cave-baser. (I personally do not think this makes him a better ruins rusher, because bishops wreck his sanity)

3) Nothing in his character fits with being a "cave-baser". His sanity mechanics feel like a modded character. Completely added on randomly. 

7 hours ago, Raeku said:

4) His inventory potential is unmatched with the extra slots Woby gives him.

4) Woby should honestly not be a thing, not in this rendition of Walter at least. Is Walter an animals tamer character or a ranger character? Klei didnt' commit to a theme and so we get a character that feels overloaded and unfocused.

Archived