Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

So here's an idea that I came up with while talking with @Hornete, they were the one that suggested I put this here, so here I am!

Hairstyle Skins

Basically, the idea came from the fact that there are no "Distinguished/Spiffy" head skins in Don't Starve Together, so I wanted to brainstorm an idea that could possibly be a method of skin making that doesn't require a matching outfit or theme. These skins would solely change the appearance of the survivor's hair, and would not come with an outfit/body skin. Theoretically, the artists also wouldn't have to draw a separate skin portrait to go along with this, as there is no theme to these skins. 

Here's an example:

"Fire-cured Bobcut" for Willow, a Spiffy/Distinguished skin that would be equipped like any headbase skin as normal, but wouldn't change the portrait/Willow's default outfit. 

WillowFireCuredHairstyle.png.83746382a8071a65b8921544cc4d3664.png

"Why cut when you can burn?"

Skins like this could be simplistic on purpose to fit with already existing common/classy/spiffyi/distinguished clothes/outfits, allowing for many new combinations without being limited by a specific theme. Not being creatively limited to a theme/aesthetic would allow skins like this to possibly release independently of themed updates/events, and would open up even more choices for outfits.

More examples, for fun!

Spoiler

"Slightly Senile Scientist Style" for Wilson

WilsonSenileScientist.png.2a0c1573fb7d4a58a81b8aebbe0e84f0.png

"Bear's Bristles" for Wolfgang

WolfgangBearBristles.png.4a862bcfd916c28a9dc30ed31200d872.png

"Bishop Bulb" concept for WX-78

image.png.c3bf854331bf073a3017bc076518ce9f.png

"Timberman's Trim" for Woodie

WoodieTimberTrim.png.905513e9bdb140fa09e7ad75deee6d3c.png

"Youthful Yesterdays" for Wickerbottom (inspired by Klei's initial concept art for a Young Wickerbottom)

(Young Style)

WickerbottomYouthfulYesterdaysYoung.png.959574242d52185b27c5caea71c04940.png

(Elder Style)

WickerbottomYouthfulYesterdaysElder.png.92fc0118cd24857645eb1ef5fb83417a.png

"Sleepyhead Shieldsmaiden" for Wigfrid (A reference to an unimplemented character named Winnie.)

WigfridWinnieWeave.png.1d16ef3e74da40d86a1412c0577f5685.png

"Day Off Hairdo" for Winona

WinonaDayoffDo.png.5ffea2c3d68b0553c944a93610fe2e38.png

"Sleepy Circus" for Wes

WesSleepyCircus.png.3f4233da86364785afff8887f0882681.png

"Trickster's Slick" for Wortox

WortoxTrickstersSlick.png.45b76bf5b5c83ced6ef7b72a396d95d3.png

"Autumn Treetop" for Wormwood (This skin might require the entire body to be recolored, since Wormwood is so complex)

WormwoodAutumnTreeTop.png.a5d1b9d3182caaf5f544c37a5c93b701.png

Conclusion

What do you all think? This is a purely cosmetic suggestion, but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

10 hours ago, Lumberlocke said:

"Bishop Bulb" concept for WX-78

This one looks more like а pаrt of the set but I dunno. I guess it's hard to do the same job with WX-78's headpiece аs you did with the other survivors. But I like the idea so fаr.

3 hours ago, balaxon said:

This one looks more like а pаrt of the set but I dunno. I guess it's hard to do the same job with WX-78's headpiece аs you did with the other survivors. But I like the idea so fаr.

Yeah, that's the one thing about this idea, WX-78 might be a little tricky. I suppose they could give it different gizmos or something attached to the head? I dunno. :apthy:

54 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I suppose they could give it different gizmos or something attached to the head? I dunno. :apthy:

Yeah, that sounds like an option and a good one. Just attach something to his regular headpiece. You just need to come with а good attachment ideas аnd that's definitely the trickiest pаrt. But like look аt this one. He got only glasses and a little moustache and it's already а pаrt of the set. :wilson_confused:

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

1067540004_.png.3f8f78019a0758d494e0eed134143a3d.png

Plus, I'm thinking аbout this one. When wаs the lаst time Klei gаve us Spiffy/Distinguished cosmetics аnywаy? I thought they're making only purchasable cosmetics nowadays. 

3 minutes ago, balaxon said:

Plus, I'm thinking аbout this one. When wаs the lаst time Klei gаve us Spiffy/Distinguished cosmetics аnywаy? I thought they're making only purchasable cosmetics nowadays. 

Yeah, if you don't count skins that come with an elegant character set, it has been a while since we've seen new non themed skins, I *think* the last cosmetic drop update was with Willow's refresh.(?) I could be totally wrong, but they added a bunch of new common/classy/spiffy skins and recolors of older skins (like the trench coat) with Willow. :shock:

1 minute ago, Lumberlocke said:

they added a bunch of new common/classy/spiffy skins and recolors of older skins (like the trench coat) with Willow. :shock:

That wаs actually not that long аgo huh. So, OK, there is аn аctuаll chаnce of them аdding new non themed skins... oh... look, I just got аn idea.

Sorry but I think there is no chance they аdd а new Spiffy/Distinguished hairstyle skins BUT... what if it will be а bit something different?  Like I'm thinking about hаirstyle you can use on all the сhаrасtеrs аnd it's not аbout changing their hairstyle exactly. Your average Trench Coat is supposed to be worn by anyone аnd so the sаme must go to аll of the new headpiece items аs well.

330x192

The only idea I've come so far is some kind of different bаndаnаs. So you cаn use them on everyone аnd they will look just perfectly under the different helmets we hаve in gаme. I don't hаve much time to drаw /photoshop it right now so I hope you got my idea.

8 minutes ago, balaxon said:

That wаs actually not that long аgo huh. So, OK, there is аn аctuаll chаnce of them аdding new non themed skins... oh... look, I just got аn idea.

Sorry but I think there is no chance they аdd а new Spiffy/Distinguished hairstyle skins BUT... what if it will be а bit something different?  Like I'm thinking about hаirstyle you can use on all the сhаrасtеrs аnd it's not аbout changing their hairstyle exactly. Your average Trench Coat is supposed to be worn by anyone аnd so the sаme must go to аll of the new headpiece items аs well.

330x192

The only idea I've come so far is some kind of different bаndаnаs. So you cаn use them on everyone аnd they will look just perfectly under the different helmets we hаve in gаme. I don't hаve much time to drаw /photoshop it right now so I hope you got my idea.

Ohh, so are you saying they introduce some universal headpiece skins for every character? That might be a cool idea, you could possibly even include masks, facepaints(?) and other facial accessories, like glasses and goggles.  :joyous:

7 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

you could possibly even include masks, facepaints(?) and other facial accessories, like glasses and goggles

Oh yeah, I didn't think about those but that's exactly whаt I wаs talking аbout.  Don't know аbout аdding "face paint" though. Like you've already got them on Wurt but everything else would be much welcome to see in game.

This may sound a little nit-picky but how would Wortox, Wurt or Wormwood have a "haircut"? As weird as it may sound i can imagine some thorns or bramble-shapes on Wormwood and Horn rings, carvings or ragged facial fur on Wortox, but i'm clueless about Wurt honestly, i suppose her tiny horns and fin-like "ears" could be changed.

2 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

This may sound a little nit-picky but how would Wortox, Wurt or Wormwood have a "haircut"? As weird as it may sound i can imagine some thorns or bramble-shapes on Wormwood and Horn rings, carvings or ragged facial fur on Wortox, but i'm clueless about Wurt honestly, i suppose her tiny horns and fin-like "ears" could be changed.

Hmm, good point. I never thought about the DLC characters. Wortox and Wormwood might be possible, but I haven't a single idea for Wurt. :nightmare:

55 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

I tried something for Wortox, it's simple, but I think it works?

WortoxTrickstersSlick.png.7943bb6c824ab79c8426c30932d4257e.png

7 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I tried something for Wortox, it's simple, but I think it works?

WortoxTrickstersSlick.png.7943bb6c824ab79c8426c30932d4257e.png

Looks really good! Imo this could even be a better version of the "Survivor" for Wortox with a couple injury marks, maybe even a broken off horn? :wilson_curious:

Still good stuff, also had few forge-master or ye ole' saltydog vibes from it, especially with the beard and somewhat of a moustache. :wilson_smile:

Okay, so because Wormwood is as complex as he is visually, I believe the best way to do things would be to either stick to giving him only elegant skins or making him an exception to this "head-only" rule by giving him a recolored base as well. (Like how you can equip each of Wormwood's skins by themselves, and they'll recolor the body.)

But here's what I came up with.

WormwoodAutumnTreeTop.png.c775579d0fdf0154d5f8041adfcbdb97.png

1 hour ago, Lumberlocke said:

Okay, so because Wormwood is as complex as he is visually, I believe the best way to do things would be to either stick to giving him only elegant skins or making him an exception to this "head-only" rule by giving him a recolored base as well. (Like how you can equip each of Wormwood's skins by themselves, and they'll recolor the body.)

But here's what I came up with.

WormwoodAutumnTreeTop.png.c775579d0fdf0154d5f8041adfcbdb97.png

that's a really cool design! I think rather then just recoloring his body that should be a whole skin in itself. 

2 minutes ago, Lovely Roses said:

that's a really cool design! I think rather then just recoloring his body that should be a whole skin in itself. 

Thanks! I tried making it as simple as possible, which is why I stuck with Wormwood's default skin as a base, but thinking back on it, I wouldn't mind seeing some skins that just go off his default look if it makes it easier for the skin artists. Anything to give ol' Wormy some new skins.:joyous:

I definitely support this 100%. I found that my favorite skins are very simple ones. I love the Guest of Honor collection because each one of them can be used with other body items. A lot of the sets they are coming out with now are great, but you can't really interchange the body cosmetics without it looking just plain weird...

Spoiler

What can I even do with these besides pair them with the rest of their set?
image.png.f25507fed907f791e5bc0b6c8be1b7d9.pngimage.png.6916c3a89eb26f40d35aba1474170161.png