Does Anyone else find Parasites... Underwhelming?

So, spoilers? I guess for anybody who isn't aware of high tier parasite cards and doesn't want to know.

Based off my understanding, Parasites, even at the highest tier, constantly hatch into other parasite cards, even ones you've already seen on your run. Does anybody feel like this is disappointing? I personally was really excited to see what awesome thing hatched out of the final tier of parasite card... only to find out that it was another parasite.

Maybe there should be a unique graft or boon or bane or just something special that happens after you hatch a parasite a certain number of times. I think it could be super cool to see like, a unique, unequippable graft pop up to reward the player for the expensive process of playing all those dang parasites and losing the HP or resolve or gaining the debuffs associated with parasite cards. As is, IMO there is little to no incentive to actually grind out all those dang parasite levels, because the higher end parasite cards do not feel to me like a sufficient reward.

I cheated my way into a fully upgraded Twig because I was genuinely curious only to be left surprisingly baffled at how absolutely detrimental this guaranteed event is. Might as well start us off with 10 less max hp and -50 shillings and chock it off to character "design".

3 hours ago, Monochromia said:

I personally was really excited to see what awesome thing hatched out of the final tier of parasite card... only to find out that it was another parasite.

Well, they do serve a purpose as being a small nuisance, eating away at health or discarding cards, etc. And that fits the theme of a parasite pretty well. It doesn't have a grand exit. It just exists and steals resources from its host.

Spoiler

I basically end up hatching them to a point where they can be ignored in every run. I was less disappointed in the hatch changes and more so disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any repercussions story-wise for removing or hatching the parasite. The card art suggests that Rook undergoes some form of evolutionary change, like the BogDogs, but his ending doesn't change if you remove them or choose to hatch them to their higher states. Something potentially to be expanded on, maybe, as a DLC or expansion, etc.

The flavor text is quite graphic for some of them, such as Branch and Tendrils. But most of the card art features Krikith rather than Rook so.. maybe Rook is just hallucinating or seeing visions of Krikith's transformation into the Bough.

The first two times I tried to hatch them as quickly as possible but it just results in different but ultimately not very interesting cards. Since then I basically completely ignore the parasite cards and consider them equivalent to curse cards in Slay the Spire. Annoying deck clutter.

Eventually they land on a version that doesn't autoplay and that is where they mostly stay because I don't even bother reading them any more.

I had an event where a bogger insisted on removing one of the parasites from Rook: saying something like "the bog is within you but you do not deserve it" and then "maybe one day you will". I wonder if there's a path to side with the boggers for Rook and get something cool out of it (most likely not but It would be an interesting option for sure).

On 5/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, Seswatha said:

I had an event where a bogger insisted on removing one of the parasites from Rook: saying something like "the bog is within you but you do not deserve it" and then "maybe one day you will". I wonder if there's a path to side with the boggers for Rook and get something cool out of it (most likely not but It would be an interesting option for sure).

I've been trying to figure out if there was anything more to that event or the one where the cultivator gives you a secret. Seems the closest thing you can do to 'ally' with the Boggers atm is buy them drinks at the bar.

I only had one run after the final boss update and removed both parasite cards. Are there any repercussions during the final fight since you are facing the bog priest/god or something? I do hope there are story-related effects, but I also don't want too much locked behind it (like you can only get good ending with/without parasites - though if there's going to be a final act where you do control all three characters then I'd say it's fair game by then)

19 hours ago, SoM said:

I only had one run after the final boss update and removed both parasite cards. Are there any repercussions during the final fight since you are facing the bog priest/god or something? I do hope there are story-related effects, but I also don't want too much locked behind it (like you can only get good ending with/without parasites - though if there's going to be a final act where you do control all three characters then I'd say it's fair game by then)

I'm pretty dang sure parasites have no effect on the ending cutscene.

2 minutes ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

fever is really good with loader, same way that masochism was good with hair of the vroc.

Didn't think of combining it with Loader thx for the tip. Just finished a run where i was able to hold on to like 15 PWR after using Force Spanner vs final boss, insta gg pretty much :D

7 minutes ago, Gr1m- said:

Didn't think of combining it with Loader thx for the tip. Just finished a run where i was able to hold on to like 15 PWR after using Force Spanner vs final boss, insta gg pretty much :D

honestly a lot of the temporary power is breakable if you build the deck around it and i don't fully blame klei for adjusting it to adrenaline. the veteran backlash will fade much like how set output temps in ONI were changed and no one cares anymore.

Either temporary power or debuff removal had to be reworked, the combination was completely busted. It was ok if you were only “cheating in” one or two counts of power, but with stuff like masochism, I was getting 20+ permanent power by turn 2, 40+ by turn 3.

Archived