Wes needs a real rework and not just a joke

Come on Kiel don't do this to people that like Wes, he's been banned from Multiplayer because nobody wants a hard character because they think hard = a burden. If you have no ideas on an update I do. Not all of these will probably work but this is just some ideas to use. Don't let us Wes lovers down Kiel!

Quoted from: SinancoTheBest

Baloonomacy

Well, it's supposed to be his main talent. But all he can for with his pile of balloons is to make decorative balloons by giving 5 sanity. Works for quick insanity, suicides and AFK assassinations but not much else, certainly not much to support the other survivors. Instead, his balloon talents can be reworked extensively. His pile of balloons should also act as a crafting station like Codex Umbra when placed on the ground for Wes to make various balloons with varying utilities. He'd require varying amounts of sanity, as well as different items around the constant to craft these.

Balloon Saddle - A saddle that can be shaken off only once but allows Wes to rush beefalo domestication.

Balloon Hat - Helmet that can only block one hit but prevents damage, knock back the player and give minimal damage when popped.

Balloon Cake - Tribute item that grants maximum companionship when gifted to befriendable mobs.

Balloon Sword - Weak but cheap weapon that pops and makes the cracking effect that de-aggroes mobs when depleted.

Balloon Armchair - Comfy balloon armchair with multiple uses that like a tent, slowly heals sanity when sat on.

Balloon Pillow - Sleeping item that can be used as an alternative to straw roll. It can be placed on the balloon armchair to upgrade it to heal too. 

Balloon Animal - Cute Balloon decoy animal that draws aggro very successfully, popping and damaging the attacker when hit.

Inflatable Tube - Small doughnut-shaped lifesaver that can be placed on the sea to be sat on. Could pop after one use but would last long enough to allow passing rivers and lakes.

A plethora of Balloons - The idea Mike suggested, making a holdable chunk of many balloons that acts like a lazy explorer, letting Wes glide across gaps. Could only have the durability of 1-3 uses and require a lot of sanity to build.

Pantomime

Another apparent talent of Wes that he only uses to communicate and examine stuff. Instead, his pantomime talent can be reworked into a substitute for basic tools, which could allow him to Chop, Mine, Shovel and Row without the relevant items. This could use up his sanity or hunger in each use, but would be nice giving him access to the powers of tools when he lacks to tools.

Ventriloquism

Wes can't talk but it doesn't mean he can't train his Ventriloquism skills. It's okay that he's mute when it comes to chatting and vocal warnings but it can get on the way of using basic multiplayer features like reading signs and reciting the weight of fish, making it more of an annoyance than an intended downside. Instead, he can craft a survival item, a puppet to be able to interact with and read signposts, pocket scales, scale-o-matic and various other structures.

Daredevil

His stunt work could also be capitalized on. I envision a unique structure of stunt cannonball that can shoot players across some distance quickly, possibly allowing them passage oversea. It could also be used by Wes only to shoot himself on a selected target enemy to hurt him significantly, as long as he's wearing a helmet, making a hilarious entrance. Just imagine a group of players fighting Deerclops and Wes suddenly shooting himself onto Clops, headbutting him and hitting him with 150 damage and landing in a similar fashion as if thrown from a beefalo.

Acrobat

Unicycle and tight rope come to my mind but I don't know how to conceptualize these in a not too OP and not too complex manner. Still I'd like a Unicycle that can only be crafted and used by him that'd allow him faster travel for a very brief time.

Juggler

Could be an interesting and unique way of inventory management, giving Wes a Juggling Kit item similar to Gifting Wrap or Bundling Wrap that can take up to 5 items but instead of packing them, Wes'd bundle the inventory items in balls and start juggling them, using up his hand slot and only allowing him to walk and pick up more items. He'd drop all the balls when interrupted by a hit or when stopped willingly, with fallen balls immediately returning back to their original forms upon hitting the ground. This could be used in conjunction with the Unicycle or When riding a Beefalo for delivery purposes

Clown

Various clown tools could be added to his arsenal. One such tool could be something similar to the Year of the Pig King signpost that could flinch or throw enemies. Another could be a fake flower hand item or a whole body slot with a flower that he can squirt water onto enemies with, getting them wet and assisting the team with Electric damage. Finally a fake pie item he can craft to throw into enemies to stun them for a second could be fun.

Calligraphy

Not much going on for this ability but he could have an extra craft near Cartography desk like "Name Plaque" or "Caricature" that he can give to other players who can read them and gain sanity like blueprints. Who knows, maybe he could be a great writer/caricaturist/calligrapher behind his mute façade.

Animal Taming

We don't have any character specialized in animal domestication, taming, herding and ranching and I don't see Wes particularly good at this. I'd like the unimplemented Winnie character or even the Inkeeper to be designed extensively around this trait but I guess Wes could be given some animal friendhip perks too. Immediate access to saddle a balloon saddle is something I really like as mentioned in baloonomacy but he could also be good at luring or herding other mobs like Volt Goats, Koelephants, Grass Geckos, Hounds etc. I don't know how this would be implemented but Animal tamers too are a staple of circuses.

I’m not sure about all of well uhh That, But I would like to see Wes be more useful to a TEAM, maybe not so much to himself- He still needs to be challenging and totally unique.. but not made into a much easier Character to play as.

Glass Canon Wendy while a cool concept- took a Character that was intended to be Easy to play as and made them into a “Hardcore Challenge Mode Character” by only letting her be most effective when dangerously low on HP.

Which is why that feature was taken from her and will be reserved for later use on someone more deserving of it.

Making Wes easier to play as would be the reverse of Glass Canon Wendy- Aka it takes a challenge character and turns them into less of a Challenge.

The TL:DR- I want Wes to be FUN to play as and useful to a TEAM, But he should still be plenty challenging if he choose to wander around all alone.

3 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Calligraphy

Not much going on for this ability but he could have an extra craft near Cartography desk like "Name Plaque" or "Caricature" that he can give to other players who can read them and gain sanity like blueprints. Who knows, maybe he could be a great writer/caricaturist/calligrapher behind his mute façade.

I like the idea of this as a potential thing for if he isn't buffed, but without the sanity thing. Like, Wes decorations or something. Caricatures would be cool

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

about all of well uhh That,

As I said these are just ideas to get Kiel to properly update Wes. I am sick and tired of seeing Wes get hated on for being a challenge because everyones all like: "Oh he's a hard player we shouldn't let a PARASITE eat all our food!" Even though you can easily play as Wes like Wilson. Wes is just a freaking gimic at this point with all this stupid "Wes is OP plz nerf" jokes. We need a serious rework to fix Wes and give him the love he deserved. (Also possibly fixing Woodie later on or just giving Woodie some lore.) 

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Making Wes easier to play as would be the reverse of Glass Canon Wendy- Aka it takes a challenge character and turns them into less of a Challenge.

And I disagree honestly he should have a switch like: The Owner can choose to pick "Hard Wes" (Normal Wes stats with some cool items)  and "New Wes" (The updated better Wes with cool items)  Giving all players new and old the OPTION to CHOOSE your play style as Wes. So that all of us can settle on one thing or another.

The more I think about it.. the more I would like to see downsides as a toggle option that you can choose rather you want applied to you or not.

Wes has some unique skins, but I don’t play as him thanks to him being the dedicated “Hardcore Character” Current Wes is.. no offense to Wes Mains- But Boring.. I hate him, he does nothing, he has no special skills, the only thing unique about him is how much harder everything is for him. Outside of that he’s as Bland as Wilson.

And I KNOW that Klei’s intentions with these Reworks are to make each character more fun, interesting and unique to play as... But I fear that they’ll play their cards to close to their heart- By keeping Wilson as the Medium choice character & Wes as the Hardcore Challenge Character.

The problem with that- As I just stated in a separate thread.. is that if Wes got say a trait where every hound in the server targeted and chased after him prioritizing him over everyone else... that would ONLY Benefit the people who wanted Wes to be even harder to play as.

There should be server settings, dedicated difficulty options or personal preferences that allow you to choose rather you want Character Downsides applied to you prior to joining a world.

The TL:DR- We really need to stop using the character we pick to play as the ultimate defining factor in how difficult our gameplay is.

I'm sure i commented on something almost exactly like this, and it's the same thing
I'm sure that adding crafting tabs and e.c is not a worthy perk it's over saturating i believe to be unoriginal sorry but almost everyone has there own crafting now with at least 10 items in it. It doesn't feel right and ruins characters at least for me, adding too much for a character will lack quality with each item or each item will be too good.
I'm not the type to write a proper character redesign so thanks for that

honestly? i genuinely feel like wes should be nerfed. as is his main downsides are pretty easy to deal with if you know what ur doing, and im not even super into metagaming. it's just so boring to play him -- mike is right, he really does just feel like a slightly harder wilson! not to mention the absolutely-no-upsides thing makes him super super bland.

the miming is funny tho... luv my clown boy. just wish he had worth beyond like, someone i like to draw.

I agree that Wes should definitely get a rework, but I don't love all of the ideas you presented. Most of these seem like ways to make Wes objectively better and easier to play. I do want to make Wes better, but I also want to make him even more difficult to play. In my opinion, klei has an awesome opportunity with Wes to make a character that has a SUPER steep learning curve. Like if you were a new player and attempted Wes you would die almost off the bat. He doesn't need to be more grindy, and he doesn't need to be made into more of a normal character, what he needs is to be that "glass cannon" character that all experienced players will want to play. Some examples on my part for this would look like decreased health, decreased hunger, but the ability to trade mass amounts of sanity, specific items, and hunger to create balloon upgrades to himself. These upgrades will allow Wes certain perks, such as only taking 5% of certain magic items (pan flutes for example) when played instead of 10%. Or maybe he can blow up a balloon that adds a multiplier to beefalo he is trying to domesticate, so instead of one "tick" per feeding to 0 or riding, you now get 3. his health will allow him to be close to one shot by most giants, so you do need to know what your doing, but if kiting isn't an issue for you, Wes will have some incredible saving time perks. We could even decrease the effectiveness of armor on him, (football helmets reduce 60 percent of damage instead of the usual 80) As an experienced player, you won't be concerned with sanity, and you (hopefully) won't get hit by things. And what if he could collect certain balloons from bosses defeated to gain upgrades. When deerclops dies he drops a clops balloon, that when "installed" makes being insane lose the noises and color change. This would be great, it fits with clops as you lose crazy sanity while being next to him, and most experienced streamers and players don't enjoyed being insane purely because of the status effects. If you kill fuelweaver, you gain a balloon that lets you craft items from the Ancient Pseudoscience Station at a reduced cost, similar to a construction amulet. Here's the catch though, you can only have two of these balloons with you at a time. There are tons of effects and abilities you could add to him that benefit endgame experienced players but not newer ones, while at the same time keeping the original "challenge" of Wes. Just my two cents!

I suggested once before to keep Wes stats as it is (or with minimal tweaks) while giving him perks that make using him harder to survive if you decide to use these perks (in the same sense Woodie needs to deal with hunger/hp/sanity whenever your transform him) with, maybe, the limitation that those perks only help others and not himself directly.

Basically what a lot of others have said, wes should be reworked in a way so that he still fills the initial role of being a challenge character while being able to provide benefits to others so that he is not a burden to other players.  I feel like giving him a bunch of items that let him do many things using only sanity would ruin his original purpose.  Maybe if he could make all these items but only other players could use them but that wouldnt really make sense and that would make him just a crafting slave.

Archived