She Sells Seashells Lore

Now, I haven't gotten much of a very in-depth look at the new update, but from what I've seen or read I'v put together a few theories, mainly about the Crab King.

So, based on them both being crabs and having a stone based composition, I believe that the crab king is a mutated stone crab, which made their debut in the Gorge event. (Though it's also possible the king is related to rock lobsters in some way, I don't know maybe all crabs in the Constant are made out of rock.) It's likely that the merms traveled to the Constant by the sea, so it's completely possible that pebble crabs could have also. Although it is possible they were already present in the Constant.

So the moon causes some pretty devastating mutation, turning creatures more aggressive or changing their composition. Wickerbottom's quote also kind of backs this up, and Wortox and Wigfrid commenting that he is "cursed."

The Crab King is also influenced by the power of gems, which a lot of things are, but it seems him especially. Gems seem to have a direct link to the moon, with the Wormword short showing his gem falling from the moon. The opal, being the gem most associated with the moon is also the gem that gives him the most power, except for the pearl which is a weird exception.

Any thoughts on this? Alternate theories or other lore related associations with the update?

Crabby Hermit is a intelligent variant of crab just like hamlet pigs are intelligent versions of RoG pigs. And I think crab king was important person for Pearl (Husband, son, friend etc.) The pearl (gem) is symbol of this relationship. Crab-granny says about it when player gives her cracked pearl.

I think The Crab King wasn't mutated by Moon itself but by Inactive Celestial Tribute. It's probably missing part of Moon's bigger plan which accidentally fell into water and crab king might have found it.

Moon want to survivors complete the mysterious plan so its let Crabby Hermit blocked Lunation to survivors can communicate with her because the Pearl-gem is necessary for Crab KIng.

10 hours ago, maciu67 said:

Crabby Hermit is a intelligent variant of crab just like hamlet pigs are intelligent versions of RoG pigs. And I think crab king was important person for Pearl (Husband, son, friend etc.) The pearl (gem) is symbol of this relationship. Crab-granny says about it when player gives her cracked pearl.

I think The Crab King wasn't mutated by Moon itself but by Inactive Celestial Tribute. It's probably missing part of Moon's bigger plan which accidentally fell into water and crab king might have found it.

Moon want to survivors complete the mysterious plan so its let Crabby Hermit blocked Lunation to survivors can communicate with her because the Pearl-gem is necessary for Crab KIng.

From what I heard is she not like a lover or smth? In any case, the crab king is another chess piece for Them to lure the survivors (and maybe Charlie) into a trap of sorts. 

OR

The moon is a different entity from Them (since glass cutters are extra effective against shadows), thus becoming Light (Gestalts, Moon) vs Dark (Shadow Creatures, Charlie)

Then again, the ancient gateway and Metheus exist. The light magic is supposed to coexist with the dark, it could be that Them is the dark half, the light half or both. Can someone resend the metheus murals and help try and understand who "Them" are?

Personally, I think that the Crab King, is a conscious creature pretty much like Pearl (Hermit Crab), but he got corrupted by what Gestalts told him, we know that they can speak to creatures and player, and lure them with their deepest wishes. We can imagine that the Crab King wasn't a king, just a big pebble crab, and, the Gestalts told him that he could be a king, he'll just need to leave everything he got, carry a big treasure, and defend him no matter what happens. And, of course, he accepted it, that's why, when you put the Pearl, even if it's related to someone who have a strong relation with him, he will still try to kill you. And, because, he is still conscious (I don't think he is dumb as a antlion or a bearger), he would just leave the cracked pearl, to tell a last message to Pearl, and say that no, he will not come back. I imagine the story going like this, It's pretty simple and based on what we got in the game so, I imagine that it might be what happened... 

ooh, ooh! wouldnt it be so cool if you had a choice to make with cracked pearl, whether or not to side with pearl or, something like that?

maybe thats what is planned

its so cool having actual, in game lore here by itself. awesome, but yeah,

also wortox said the king was a cursed soul, if anyone had any doubts on that type of thing that might solidify it a tiny bit

I've always thought, due to the orientation we first find the Inactive Celestial Tribute in, that it was impaled or at least deeply embedded into Crab King. Not only did it cause him great pain and discomfort, it also directly injected lunar magic into him, driving him mad. It would also take nothing but the most titanic of struggles and blows to get the thing free.

6 hours ago, Blunderbuss said:

ooh, ooh! wouldnt it be so cool if you had a choice to make with cracked pearl, whether or not to side with pearl or, something like that?

maybe thats what is planned

its so cool having actual, in game lore here by itself. awesome, but yeah,

also wortox said the king was a cursed soul, if anyone had any doubts on that type of thing that might solidify it a tiny bit

I think we won't be making that decision... yet.

Right now, they're building on the lunar aspects of the magic in dst. Normally we have nightmare fuel, now we're getting to see the enlightenment side. These will both become equals and eventually, we'll have to choose which magic we side with. Perhaps even find balance between both?

Archived