Lucy the Axe & potential Origins Of Woodies Idols

First off- I said I wasn’t going to make anymore threads throughout 2020, I know that but.. I am and I have, And with my whole town being pretty much on lockdown due to Virus concerns I’ve had plenty of time to sit and theorize about this. 

First off you can find the original Discussion about this where I brought it up here: in Minespatchs thread asking Klei to create a comic explaining the origins of Woodies new found Transformation Idols.

Now that JoeW said that I could create a new thread to discuss other potential Woodie lore & Theories I would like to do just exactly that, Only this time Instead of just a big wall of Text I would like to provide gifs from various sources as well as in-game images to support my Theory.

In Minespatchs Thread I stated that we didn’t actually NEED a comic detailing the origins of Woodies Idols because the Origins can be as simple as items LUCY his Red Talking Axe whispered into his ear to Create & also use.

This would certainly not be the FIRST Time a Don't Starve character listened to Advice from outside of their own thoughts and opinions, Observed here in GIF 1- Wilson is having second thoughts about pulling this lever but does so anyway.  

In the second photo, This is Woodie Examining his Werebeaver Idol In-Game.

Some Forum goers have brought up the suggestion that Lucy doesn’t actually talk and that it’s all in Woodies head, there is a Quote in the game that supports this Theory that provides homage to the horror movie classic the Shining.. The Quote in the Game is written as “All work and No play makes me want to chop trees” the Actual Movie scene Quote is “All work and no play makes jack a dull boy” This is a moment in the film where the main character starts to spiral into insanity and types that exact quote for hundreds of pages into his type writer. As seen in the second GiF provided below.

Is this Klei’s way of hinting that Woodie is crazy and it’s all in his head like the shinings Jack? 

I’m about to debunk that suggestion Completely by providing some pretty hard to dismiss facts.

First off Lucy doesn’t just TALK to Woodie she talks to Non-Woodie characters, and straight up refuses to let them pick her up.. which would Imply that Lucy has her own identity and is not just something made up in Woodies own head.. Maxwell even has a Quote that implies he’s known Lucy for quite sometime.

However... it is clear that Lucy DOES manifest some sort of Super Natural powers or control over Woodie because as seen in his Animated short even with 3 powerful transformations at his disposal Woodie gets pummeled into the ground within in an inch of his life and left defeated with obviously some broken bones.. Once he reaches out and grabs hold of Lucy he quickly recovers from all Injuries like he’s Superman and disposed of his Foe.

Lastly It is extremely obvious that Lucy is its own Soul or entity rather.. and LUCY is Woodies REAL Curse, not his Transformation Idols... Because No Matter How Many Normal Axes Woodie Creates as soon he attempts to chop wood with it Lucy swaps places with the regular axe.

(also do keep in mind that in Solo DS, Chopping too much wood using Lucy was what triggers his curse to begin with)

As seen in the following Gif of me crafting lots of regular axes, attempting to use them and then dropping them as soon as they turn into Lucy for a new one.

And finally in the last Gif does Lucy swapping places with that regular Axe remind you guys of anything at all? Wortox SOUL Hopping maybe??

So in Conclusion: If LUCY has her own SOUL and is its own entity & is NOT something made up and completely in Woodies own head.. then is it really unreasonable to believe that LUCY told Woodie how to create the Transformation Idols & use them? Woodie wouldn’t second guess his beloved Axe Lucy!

I just wish Wortox’s Quote For examining Lucy was a little more helpful in supporting this Theory.

It could be something like:

“Lucy is an Axe with a Soul & Chopping stuff is her goal!”

Please feel free to share your own thoughts about this! Thanks. :) 

2684F7C1-5581-4F4D-820F-C09D3ACA750D.gif

3BDF2435-1848-45F4-9489-62CC93A0825F.jpeg

EFB16E77-FBD9-4463-8BF7-692F18FF48A6.jpeg

B73BD44B-6A05-478C-8ADA-B581C6CC0D70.gif

538FFB9C-3CCC-4402-972F-DBADC9FB05DD.png

4F01F365-7D37-42C1-A487-BDD65C897D2C.png

8AC114A8-B7CF-409A-8E5E-3AADE1C60A00.png

E5035C5F-1E27-4E50-BD61-FD4FB71FA4EC.gif

B628AB5B-448C-4801-BCC8-395A9A1FE246.gif

I forgot one more point of evidence: If multiple Woodies are in the same session you can not pick up their Lucy Axe, Lucy even makes comments when you try- Implying that Lucy is tied to Woodie. You can never have more than One Lucy Axe.

Unlike Wendy and Abigails Flower.

Even Lucy’s Forge Quotes (a Mode where other players actually COULD pick up Lucy) show her dislike for being in the hands of anyone other than Woodie.

With Woodie's idols, I kind of got the impression he experimented with different things to try to understand his curse. Whether it came from Lucy, or an idea he had that he decided to try on a whim. Likely from the first time he reacted badly to the moon after it got messed up after the formation of the Lunar Island. 

I'm convinced Lucy was once a person that was alive, and meant a lot to Woodie. Maybe a spouse. Maxwell's quote for her that he knew her in the past is my biggest piece of evidence. Another piece of evidence I have is Rawling, the basketball in SW. He speaks like Lucy, but Maxwell acts like he doesn't know him, OR created him. So that implies to me that Rawling maybe isn't a real soul, but Lucy is? It's possible Woodie's curse was his price to pay to bring Lucy back to "life"?

While Tree's a Coward didn't give us Woodie's backstory, I have a feeling if/when Wagstaff is reworked and brought to DST, his short would explain Woodie's missing person poster in Next of Kin and Woodie's connection to Voxola. I can understand it maybe not fitting Woodie's rework in DST right away, because I doubt Wagstaff gave him his curse. This might not exactly give lore on the idols and how Lucy was created, but it could give information if Lucy was a real person before the Constant or not. 

9 hours ago, Blueleaf12 said:

While Tree's a Coward didn't give us Woodie's backstory, I have a feeling if/when Wagstaff is reworked and brought to DST, his short would explain Woodie's missing person poster in Next of Kin and Woodie's connection to Voxola. I can understand it maybe not fitting Woodie's rework in DST right away, because I doubt Wagstaff gave him his curse. This might not exactly give lore on the idols and how Lucy was created, but it could give information if Lucy was a real person before the Constant or not. 

What if Swagstaff performed an experiment on him or something?

25 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

What if Swagstaff performed an experiment on him or something?

I've been thinking that. Would Wagstaff be crazy enough to perform human experimentation? Yeah, I think so. I'm still leaning towards Maxwell giving Woodie his curse because the werepigs exist, but Wagstaff is still an option. Maybe Woodie got involved in something he shouldn't have at Voxola. 

Why would he even be at Voxola in the first place? Because he went missing before Next of Kin, I'm thinking he was involved in the construction of the actual factory by providing wood, being a lumberjack and all. 

32 minutes ago, Blueleaf12 said:

I've been thinking that. Would Wagstaff be crazy enough to perform human experimentation? Yeah, I think so. I'm still leaning towards Maxwell giving Woodie his curse because the werepigs exist, but Wagstaff is still an option. Maybe Woodie got involved in something he shouldn't have at Voxola. 

Why would he even be at Voxola in the first place? Because he went missing before Next of Kin, I'm thinking he was involved in the construction of the actual factory by providing wood, being a lumberjack and all. 

That's a good theory.. and remember, SWAGstaff was crazy enough to construct a portal that could transport people into an other dimension.

Also, I don't think it's unreasonable, on a whim, Woodie made the idols to see what would happen. He has multiple quotes that confirm he knows how to whittle, so I can believe after figuring out his other wereforms, he sat down and made the idols to see what would happen. Maybe the monster meat thing came after that, after realizing he's now sensitive to monster meat like the pigmen. 

Archived