Metal Refinery Loop help

I've built this three times now.  I want the polluted water to cycle through the refinery until it hits X temp.  That works fine. BUT as soon as the refinery starts needing fresh coolant, it pulls from the new cold water until the point that the cycled water hits the bridge at which point it take the cycled water from the output into the input just like I want it to.  Problem is because it already took several sections of "new" water, there isn't room for all the recycled water and the refinery ends up with "blocked output" problem.  I need the water to recycle through as I need it as hot as I can get to to keep my peppers alive and the slicksters as slicksters instead of long-hairs.   What's the easiest solution here?  I know I need the "new" to WAIT until there is nothing coming through the output to input valve but I can't figure out how to make that happen.

image.thumb.png.73ce18b3ed2dedcf5b0be124732277fe.png

1 hour ago, bleeter6 said:

I would add pipe to the refinery output so that it can hold the entire contents of the refinery. That way new water never gets added until ALL the old water enters the input.

I did try this, but it still isn't working right, I'm going to try @Nitroturtle's solution and see if that works. 

Go with new automated reservoir. 

Rafinery output goes to automated shutoff, that allows only cool enough water to go back to buffer reservoir - hot is rejected to the left (safer in case of power outage or blockage). From buffer water goes directly to rafinery input (we know it is cool enough). Fresh cool water goes from top to the line before temperature check - this is important in case you end up with "fresh" water being too hot - it is then rejected immediately and never goes to buffer.

5e89ac9f61ae0_Screenshot2020-04-05at11_57_43.thumb.png.bf3aa34b35922122778ef8aba4fee138.png

Automation is very simple: standard pipe temperature check with shutoff and second shutoff thet controls fresh water - it enables flow when buffer reservoir content is not full enough - I use settings [high threshold: 30, low threshold: 20] - but the bigger buffer, the more precise this setup is.

5e89ae62eb8f6_Screenshot2020-04-05at12_00_37.thumb.png.798251c3035e2ef80fc363307dff5843.png

37 minutes ago, SackMaggie said:

Here you go, It couldn't get simpler than this
(Assume the Radiant pipe is your cooling and Temp sensor set to below X value)

image.thumb.png.90a630e21ed09dbe14445ba1a50561f1.png

image.thumb.png.7b681b02c70c1aa05519184911aa94b7.png

Was going to look up if I had a screenshot of my own refinery, but this is exactly how I built mine, I use petroleum as coolant and the radiant piping is inside a steam room with a turbine on top. Said turbine provides the power needed to run the refinery. As long as you're making iron or steel, that setup is power positive. ( ie, the heat->power produces more energy than your refinery uses to make said heat ). Copper is slightly negative, tungsten slightly positive and gold is negative.

This is fine setup if you want it to be closed cycle, exchanging heat - which I believe was not OPs intention:

10 hours ago, Denisetwin said:

I need the water to recycle through as I need it as hot as I can get to to keep my peppers alive

If you want to use hot water somewhere else (polluted for plants or clean for electrolizer) then you will endup with something similar to my setup.

4 hours ago, nessumo said:

This is fine setup if you want it to be closed cycle, exchanging heat - which I believe was not OPs intention:

If you want to use hot water somewhere else (polluted for plants or clean for electrolizer) then you will endup with something similar to my setup.

This.  Thanks @nessumo  I've played hundreds of hours in ONI so I'm not a newbie, but this is the first map I've played where COLD is an issue (due to cold core, large glaciers, two slush geysers providing all the water and nothing else close that is even warm...) all this meant I'm battling to get heat not cold.  So all my tried and true get rid of heat tricks are turned on their head.  I need the hot polluted water from the refinery for my pepper plants and slicksters and I want it over 60 degrees to keep slicksers and not longhairs.. I missed the reservoir getting an automation port - I'm guessing it switches green when it is empty.   This is much better than my next try which was going to be building a tepidizer hot box and running the output through that before sending to where I need the heat.

Thanks also to everyone else that posted, I love the idea of a power positive refinery/turbine loop, I'm sure the screenshots will help someone set that up!

@Denisetwin, it is unrelated to basic functionality of this setup. In my base I have NOT-SPOM and two refineries connected to one 2KW line, which is too much obviously. I use wattage sensors as a safety measure to make sure power line won't break - if usage is too high refinery is disabled.

4 hours ago, nessumo said:

@Denisetwin, it is unrelated to basic functionality of this setup. In my base I have NOT-SPOM and two refineries connected to one 2KW line, which is too much obviously. I use wattage sensors as a safety measure to make sure power line won't break - if usage is too high refinery is disabled.

It's not a good idea. Last thing you want is a job to get interrupted because somewhere else something turned on.

What you really want, is to consider the refinery as a power positive device, and set it up accordinly. Unless you're refining gold, with good machinery dups a refinery produces energy.

16 hours ago, nessumo said:

@TheMule, surprisingly, my base started on cycle 1, without mats or technologies to create such setup. Therefore, I believe in my situation it was absolutely brilliant idea.

you mean you don't have plastic yet? ok, you can solve the problem with batteries.Or two coal gens and one smart battery. It's a temporary setup anyway, you wan't last long using water as coolant and releasing millions of DTUs in the environment.You want to upgrade to a steam turbine ASAP.

Having dups running around w incompleted tasks is just a terrible waste, expecially early on. Once a dup decides to operate the refinery, you should make sure that nothing interrupts the process. In your setup, the refinery can be disabled by the sensor at any time, even before the dup reaches the it. The task is aborted and the dup starts doing something else. The refinery is re-enabled, creates another task. a dup grabs it only to be interrupted once again.  OTOH, it's ok to charge a battery (or two) only when power is available, and then use it to run the refinery and of course you can use a wattage sensor to achieve that.

I just find it simpler as safer to drop 2 coal gens and a smart battery and have the temporary refinery on a separate grid.  That plays well with the fact that I tend to place it away from the base, either in other biomes, frozen or swamp (using pwater) or oil biome (using oil directly).

First, I don't have any problem. You have one, making random assumptions and trying to prove something out of nowhere. As I said, this was very early base and basic setups - but that doesn't mean my dupes are running randomly from machine to machine, everything is prepared carefully:

• I do not want to upgrade to steam turbine, as I need hot water
  • I manage my work orders by other means, dups don't grab jobs randomly just because it is available
  • I am going for achievements, so coal setups are not allowed
  • What you find simpler is somehow irrelevant to my base

Again, wattage sensor was a safety measure, not a part of regular functionality. Deal with that, I consider this off-topic exhausted.

On 4/8/2020 at 7:14 PM, nessumo said:

First, I don't have any problem. You have one, making random assumptions and trying to prove something out of nowhere. As I said, this was very early base and basic setups - but that doesn't mean my dupes are running randomly from machine to machine, everything is prepared carefully:

• I do not want to upgrade to steam turbine, as I need hot water
  • I manage my work orders by other means, dups don't grab jobs randomly just because it is available
  • I am going for achievements, so coal setups are not allowed
  • What you find simpler is somehow irrelevant to my base

Again, wattage sensor was a safety measure, not a part of regular functionality. Deal with that, I consider this off-topic exhausted.

Personal attack duly ignored.

I feel I have to clearly state that I'm not telling you how to play. I don't care. I care of what you post, not of what you do on your PC. And you claimed that your idea is brilliant. It's your choice to make a public statement, as it is mine to respond. Don't post on public forums if you're not ok with receiving replies, including those you don't agree with.

points 1-4 are irrelevant. Of course you can choose to do what you want, but that doesn't make it the best choice for everybody.

The whole point is that any type of machine/station that is dup-operated if disabled by automation resets its errands. It's not my opinion, it's how the game works. So if your automation is in sync with the jobs and their completion, you can control that and make sure dups' errands aren't interrupted mid-way. If the automation signal is controlled by external factors, it's bound to happen. A wattage sensor is the definition of something happening somewhere else.

I don't know how you got the idea that has anything to do with how you organize your dups. That's just how errands work.

Work on bridge priority.  This design is completely automatic.  Priority is on the refinery in the loop so it will unload the new hot liquid before the loop continues.  There is automation past the reservoir to detect the temperature and disable the refinery if it gets too high.

20200409140200_1.thumb.jpg.0fc9cb2728c318e59427ff99808c461f.jpg

Archived