Nuclear dlc?

Probably.. They've already added radium as an element in the game although it's not used at the moment. Also the great statue has an option for the base to that is very nuclear. Lead has also been put into the game, so other than a system for radiation and buildings that make use of radioactive materials and the like, the basic resources are already there.

51 minutes ago, Emwill said:

nuclear energy, waste, radiation, shielding, etc
ever?

At least looks like a good guess.  They need something relatively large and a nuclear update wold probably add that. Can;t wait for dupes that glow in the dark ;)

10 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

They need an useful energy sink for the nuclear update, as late game bases are generally drowning in power. 

Late game my base is 100% powered by a few steam turbines and a lot of solar panels. Coal and NatGas is just there for emergency backup. 

There are also people who burn petrol more for the byproducts than for power. They won’t care about a new power source. 

I think the core game design challenge is that this is a survival game where the needs of your dupes really don’t go up by that much. In order to make the early and mid game possible, keeping them fed can’t be that hard, but as the player’s poser curve ramps, the basic survival loops become trivial. The game needs a new goal that is more of a resource sink than merely sending a rocket to an albeit far away location. 

4 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Radium is there since forever, and they never used it in any way. Like many other materials present but not activated. 

More recently (around game release) uranium was added as well as some temp art for nuclear looking buildings. Might be a thing for the future.

Took me way too much time to find it.

I just hope that the DLC will add more unavoidable challenges, mechanics and additional vertical gameplay instead of just another option to already established solutions, like another energy source or another food plant.

If it goes the nuclear route, give me some radiation disasters like solar flares, new things that require me to use nuclear technology, maybe medical treatments, mutation of organisms that try to reclaim my base or even mutating dupes after long exposure.

Also a revamp of space to make it more worthwhile to explore.

6 hours ago, lee1026 said:

They need an useful energy sink for the nuclear update, as late game bases are generally drowning in power. 

Teleporters? :)

Oh and force shields that charge in high-tech beds while the dupes sleep+passively collect oxygen from the atmosphere so dupes never need atmo-suits.

They'd both allow far cleaner bases and a whole bunch of flexibility build wise and could justifiably require a boatload of power.

add on low efficiency wireless power transmission so you could clean your base of power cables at the expense of needing say 5x the total power production and suddenly we'd really need a nuclear reactor (with an endgame fusion reactor of course :D)

Archived