Why is rain cold damage so sudden?

In dst, I find it stupid that cold caused by the rain  is just slightly broken: why do players not get the warning that they are cold (by the screen turning blue on the edges before starting taking damage)? This is not realistic, as in real life, before getting hypotermia you would feel like your to cold, and also not fun because taking damage like that without any warning is meh. And you, do you think this should be fixed?

I mean it's not really ,,sudden" as you describe it to be. As for realism in this game oh boy. Don't know what kind of warning you need or want tbh, not to mention your character mentions their level of wetness/cold once it reaches certain level. It's kind of fine as it is.

Also small tip, if you're going to post alot of your personal ideas/suggestions you might try to check out the subforum called Suggestions and Feedback.

Depending on the time of the year you can tell what's being entirely wet gonna do to you, basically the closer the season is to winter, the larger are the chances that being very wet will freeze you to death. 
So as soon as you notice your wetness is raising dramatically up, you can decide to focus on drying up, or just ignore it, based entirely on how dangerous it can be for the time being.

Rain usually has patterns and once you learn them, you can entirely avoid wetness issues:

Spoiler
  • During early autumn, heavy rains are rare, and usually harmless, I ignore them unless a player triggers the rain trap by picking up an ice staff or fire staff surrounded by hounds. That rain is gonna last a while and you need to get insulation to survive it decently: a top hat and an umbrella is enough to get by in the rare events that this happens.
  • During late autumn-early winter it may rain a bit. This rain will not last long, but its enough to freeze you, you should try to stay warm since it will usually go away fast. Thermal Stones and fire/campfire will help you in this situation.
  • During winter it will not rain, except in the very final days when it may start raining a bit. This rain is super dangerous and it will freeze you super fast, you should have thermal, insulation, and a way to make fires.
  • During early spring its the same as late winter, you need a thermal, insulation and a way to make fires if you don't want to freeze all the time. this will last a few days until the days start getting warmer. These are probably the worst days of the year cycle, related to wetness.
  • Throughout all spring it will rain, a lot, but after 4 or 5 days into spring you can ditch your thermal and just try to stay insulated or dry every once and then.
  • During summer it will rarely rain, and if it does, embrace wetness as it will protect you a bit from overheating.

Also if you are going to adventure the ocean during winter, it is important to have at least a firepit and a campfire pre-crafted. In the event that you end up sinking and you appear on land completely wet, you will need to dry ASAP (100% wetness + winter = death)

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Hide contents
  • Throughout all spring it will rain, a lot, but after 4 or 5 days into spring you can ditch your thermal and just try to stay insulated or dry every once and then.

It's usually by about the 3rd day of spring that you can ditch a thermal, nights are just barely warm enough granted you don't get wet.

Yes it is sudden. In winter, if you fall below 5 degrees, (using the mod that shows character temperature) then you see the "you're about to freeze" chilling vignette. However, if it's the first day of spring and you have only 10 wetness, you will not have the chilling vignette falling under 5 degrees and you'll begin freezing.

Your wetness meter alone isn't enough to tell you if you will freeze or not. You can be at 100% wetness on the last day of spring and not freeze, and you can be at 10% wetness on the first day of spring and freeze... It's actually annoying, especially as Willow who takes huge freeze damage, and it's good someone brought it up.

oftenkilledby.png.c7e7e41330e825be492f7283ee9e82a6.png

...and I haven't counted, but I would SWEAR that's maybe only _half_ due to winter.  And no, not just because I play as Willow.  I play other characters too.  Spring sunshine is deceptive!

Edit:  I'm not saying take away spring freezing--it makes some kind of sense (as much as anything in this game does), after all.  What I AM saying is we should have just as much warning before it happens no matter _what_ season it is.

Also:  I play with randomised season lengths, and one thing I've noticed is that the length of the season overall affects how soon/late certain different parts of it happen.  It's proportional.  For example, I recently had a long summer, and I KNEW something was up when my character started shivering next to the endothermic fire for the first not one, not two, not three, but FOUR nights.

So, when you can put away your thermal in spring changes according to how long the spring IS.  If anybody else here plays with non-standard season lengths, that's something to keep in mind.

...Notorious

I recommend making a parasol + straw hat while standing under a tree if death by rain is a major issue. The parasol provides 50% wetness resistance while the straw hat provides 20%; the tree that you stand under provides 35%. Any character can make these with 0 science, and the total cost is a measily 6 flower petals, 15 grass, and 4 twigs.

Spring is the one time where it's okay and - if anything - encouraged to pick flowers since flowers respawn when the ground is wet.    

That's pretty much how I made it through my first couple of springs in the "March of Civilization" challenge.  I wasn't allowed (didn't allow myself, that is) to make a proper umbrella yet.  And it's also one of the reasons I always keep a "shelter tree" in my camp.  (The other reason being shade.)

Spoiler

autumnchristmastree.thumb.png.3ec587970c98d1a4c16dd4b374e31673.png

Pictured:  (on the right)  The Shelter Tree.  (And yes, it's bigger than usual.  Mod.  Called Big Birchnuts Together.) 

Although when playing with others, I often have to put a "THIS IS HERE FOR A REASON.  DO NOT CHOP.  WE HAVE PLENTY OF OTHER TREES YOU IDIOT" sign since people just go "Oh, free firewood right here!  Awesome!"

And yes, go ahead and pick flowers in the spring...but if you pick the flowers by the beebox, I WILL come after you.

So will the bees.  : P

...Notorious

Archived