Who's been reworked so far?

Willow, Woodie, Warly, Winona, Wendy, Wormwood.

(Wormwood does count.. He may be a port but his abilities got repurposed for DST gameplay.)

I would also include Wortox and Wurt on this list as well.. because they were already designed from the ground up for DST.

2 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

New characters and reworks are two entire separate things.

Not really- I’m counting New characters on the list of Reworked characters BECAUSE they were designed from the ground up for DST and therefore are much less likely to GET Another Rework done to them.

They took just as much if not more of Klei’s time to create as character Reworks therefore in fact- They Do count.

38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not really- I’m counting New characters on the list of Reworked characters BECAUSE they were designed from the ground up for DST and therefore are much less likely to GET Another Rework done to them.

They took just as much if not more of Klei’s time to create as character Reworks therefore in fact- They Do count.

I honestly don't understand this. Creating a new character takes alot more effort and time, reworking a certain character can take time aswell, but it's not as hard as creating an entirely new playable character. One of the core roles of new characters is that they shouldnt be remade in the future, if there are bugs or issues with the characters mechanics or abilities/perks pointed out by the community or noticed by developers after launching, they're most likely to get fixed, but never repolished like Willow, Woodie and Wendy. If they not fufill that role then there is failure in the character's gameplay design and needs to be remade from the scratch. Designed from the ground up? So was everyone else! But Wortox, Winona and Wurt were completely new additions, they weren't from Shipwrecked or Hamlet like Warly and Wormwood. Reworking a character and creating a new character are completely diffrent processes, i don't get how do you bundle up both of these terms together, i understand making a decision about relooking at a certain character, analizing their flaws, mechanics etc. but for me creation of a brand new character is much more complicated than a rework. Im aware of Winona being ,,reworked" due to massive criticism by the community and poorly created abilities of her character, but even after the rework people were still complaining about the rework being lack luster and bad, but that's not the case with Wortox and Wurt. My point is that you shouldnt mix two entire diffrent terms into one, because that's simply not true. If you think time that was put into a rework and creating a new character is the deciding factor then you're wrong. Some companies can take less time in making a new character than reworking one. It's not about time but rather the effort that's being put into, progression of the rework/character creation and participation of the community.

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You cannot rework something that was not already included in the game. It's called "New content".

3 minutes ago, Charesque said:

You cannot rework something that was not already included in the game. It's called "New content".

You guys are completely missing the point.

Yes it’s new content, but it’s new content that is less likely to get a character rework, so I am counting them on the list of Reworks as a Character who ain’t getting another Rework.

which means the characters who are left to be reworked are:

Wilson, Wickerbottom, Webber, Wolfgang, Wes, Maxwell, WX78, Wigfrid.

AND IF KLEI Decides to add Shipwrecked and Hamlet DLC Characters- 

Walani, Woodlegs, Wilbur, Wheeler, Wilba and Wagstaff.

They counted Warly as a Refreshed character, so Why WOULDNT the ones I just listed above also count?

52 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

on this point I agree with you.

I think people just get 'greedy' and they want to things to be changed, even if its not reasonable.

3 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

on this point I agree with you.

I think people just get 'greedy' and they want to things to be changed, even if its not reasonable.

Well in a time where Covid-19 is crippling much of life as we know it... Players can no longer be as greedy with game content.. Which is why I’m on the fence with Wendy’s Rework- I would love to see Wendy tweaked to be a bit better than she is now 

(stackable Elixirs, Evil Flower in Sisturn for Abby extra Damage.. etc)

But at the same exact time: Wendy isn’t in Dire need of an immediate fix to the point that Klei needs to halt production on Return of Them: She Sells Seashells or Any other plans they may have had for the future.

Let's get this straight:

A character refresh, known informally as a rework, is a change in an existing character's abilities.

A new character is entirely brand new content, and therefore not a refresh/rework to any existing content.

Therefore, characters who have had changes, however minor or major, to their existing abilities are: Woodie, Willow, Wendy and Winona. Wormwood and Warly are debatable in the sense that they have received changes being ported over. While wormwood was a near-total port, Warly had several changes to his core gameplay such as the inability to eat raw food, new recipes, changes to existing ones, new structures and an entirely new mechanic based off him (spices).

Wortox and Wurt are new characters, period. They may or may not be reworked, much like Winona, a new character, was reworked. They don't count as "reworks" because there haven't been any changes made to their core gameplay since their implementation.

Maxwell arguably got a rework when he was ported from DS to DST - back when the game was still in Early Access - because the way his shadows work was significantly changed (and his innate sanity gain and starting equipment were nerfed as well), but that wasn't part of the current rework cycle on account of it happened in 2016. And he didn't get a cinematic out of it.

Wormwood plays almost exactly the same in DST as in DS, except 1) he can't make vegetarian antivenom and 2) he's harder to set on fire. That is absolutely not a rework. That's just a port with a tiny tweak.

Warly did in fact get a rework; he has harsher downsides now than in singleplayer, but his unique cooking abilities are much more powerful in exchange.

The characters who have been given reworks in this cycle, in chronological order, are Winona, Willow, Warly, Woodie, and Wendy.

Archived