Poll on Boating/Boating Mechanics

Boat Poll  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Boats/Boating Mechanics?

• I love it
    • I kinda like it
    • I don't really like it
    • I hate it
  2. 2. What do you like about Boating/Boat Mechanics

• Simply the addition of more area to explore, on or off the water
    • Operating/Piloting the Boat
    • Traveling across the water to new land/biome
    • The ability to build structures on Boats/Experimenting with different builds
    • Combat on the water
    • Deep Sea Fishing
    • New water mobs
    • The overall potential Boating/Mechanics present
    • There is nothing I like about Boating currently
  3. 3. What do you not like about Boating/Boating Mechanics

• Lack of overall related content
    • Operating/Piloting the Boat
    • I like the idea of Boating, but I don't like the way Klei chose to implement it
    • I am not happy with the resource costs of various Boating related crafts
    • I would have preferred all water/island related content was scrapped and we were given additional land based/related content
    • I just don't like Boating
    • I'm currently happy overall with everything Boating related
  4. 4. How do you feel about the future of Boating/Boat Mechanics

• Klei is on the right track, knows what they are doing, and I have no concerns what so ever
    • Overall i'm fairly happy with Boating, but I kinda worry what future updates could bring/change
    • I don't really like where Boating sits right now, but I think Klei will make changes for the better with coming updates
    • I don't like Boating as it is now, and I just don't see it getting any better
  5. 5. I made multiple choices on the previous question

• Yes
    • No

Boats are obviously easier to use with 2 or more people, but they are nowhere near inoperable as 1 person. The entire game can be played solo as many people do.

2 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

I honestly would like to see some planting box or something become a thing on boats soon, I really want to see someone build a base out at sea that there able to stay out  and survive without having to go back to the mainland, hopefully that could be done in the in the future if that was possible.

I was working on some things, but I ended up getting side tracked after a few game years worth of experimentation. I've got a spot picked out for a mega base, I just need to take care of some other things in our world before I get back to it.

PS_Messages_20200109_231102.jpg

PS_Messages_20200109_231059.jpg

10 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

I honestly would like to see some planting box or something become a thing on boats soon, I really want to see someone build a base out at sea that there able to stay out  and survive without having to go back to the mainland, hopefully that could be done in the in the future if that was possible.

This idea is based on mostly on how little there is at sea at the moment.. 

If you have never played Shipwrecked I suggest you play it, living out at sea is an option in SW.. but a rather dangerous one.. because you still have to deal with the many hostile ocean threats and large crashing waves of ocean water.

Home Sea Home Update.. I believe it was called?

8 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

I think it's possible to do that if there are 3 rabbit houses on the boat. Only problem is that they seem to bug into the water and disappear if the boat is moving. lol

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

living out at sea is an option in SW.. but a rather dangerous one.. because you still have to deal with the many hostile ocean threats and large crashing waves of ocean water.

There is a difference between living at Sea and basing on the Sea. SW gave you a Floating Chiminea, a Science Machine, a Floating Chest, and that was about it I think (I may be missing some things, and I'm obviously not counting fish farms and relocating seaweed and all that). A far cry from being able to build pretty much anything at Sea.

And while no one is calling for zero threat out on the water, waves were not a threat in the shallower water of SW, as I'm sure you are aware.

12 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

There is a difference between living at Sea and basing on the Sea. SW gave you a Floating Chiminea, a Science Machine, a Floating Chest, and that was about it I think (I may be missing some things, and I'm obviously not counting fish farms and relocating seaweed and all that). A far cry from being able to build pretty much anything at Sea.

And while no one is calling for zero threat out on the water, waves were not a threat in the shallower water of SW, as I'm sure you are aware.

Shallow water would be more like a Ship Docking Area then it would be being an Actual base out in the middle of the Sea.

When you say Sea Base I’m thinking Dead Center of the DEEP SEA, Which you can I guess??? But there should also be some very nasty hostile things that want you dead out in the Deep Sea.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Shallow water would be more like a Ship Docking Area then it would be being an Actual base out in the middle of the Sea.

When you say Sea Base I’m thinking Dead Center of the DEEP SEA, Which you can I guess??? 

In SW the shallow water was an absolutely massive amount of space, and if the idea of an actual boat base was superimposed onto SW, you could simply base right on the edge of the shallow water. And if I'm remembering correctly, the most valuable resource to obtain out on the water was Tar. Using the Quacken Drill you could easily place a Tar Slick right by a safe base.

No reason it can't be like that in DST.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

But there should also be some very nasty hostile things that want you dead out in the Deep Sea.

No one ever said there shouldn't be. For every threat in game we are given the means to counter it. If things wanting you dead were to stop you from doing stuff you wouldn't get very far away from the portal when you first spawned in would you?

I want to reserve judgement for the boats until RoT is completed.

At the moment, they are fun, open up "boat basing" which is SUPER niche but cool. They're slow as hell, but makes up for the fact that you can put stuff on it, and make bridges.

Although I would still prefer a surfboard.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

but the largest problem is the boat is very Single player unfriendly.

I play only solo DST and have not found the boats difficult at all.  It took some getting used to but I can run 4-5 masts and navigate solo pretty dang well now.

3 hours ago, Superwolfkid said:

!!!waterworld!!!

Someone mentioned an archipelago worldgen setting and I would be all for that!  Set land mass to super small where every biome is only 1-2 screens in size.

I think I'll do a landloop always landbranch none world and build a water base right in the middle for my next game XD

31 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I play only solo DST and have not found the boats difficult at all.  It took some getting used to but I can run 4-5 masts and navigate solo pretty dang well now.

For now.. that’s the thing though, how much of this is all subject to change?

Return of Them is still an Ongoing beta phase, how do any of us know that the current boats aren’t just place holders for the final versions?

Even if these ARE the final versions and they do not plan to change them at all what about ocean content? How much will that change?? Will hostile sea mobs and rough waters make it even more difficult for us to maneuver them as a one maned boat?

Should there be the “Boat Cookie” Multiplayer Party Boats/Rafts & Then also separate solo or two person vessels? 

My question is how much (or how little) is actually subject to change?

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

My question is how much (or how little) is actually subject to change?

It doesn't matter. If people want to pilot boats solo they will adapt. That aside I highly doubt Klei is going to scrap what they have and FORCE people to have multiple people to pilot a boat.

Besides-

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

(And people seem to forget that despite the game being called Don’t Starve TOGETHER there still actually IS An Option to play Alone in an Offline World.)

1 hour ago, luv said:

Pretty meager but I think it would be nice, visually at least, DOCKS. Please put a dock in the think tank.

Agreed. Id love to see somekind of harbors being implemented with diffrent stations where you can put all kinds of mechanisms on your boat. Having for example three possible upgrade branches of boats which could be : Exploration Ship, Fishing Ship, Battle Ship. There could be alot more to choose from or try diffrent attributes or perhaps combine diffrent ones and experiment to see the outcome.

1 hour ago, luv said:

Pretty meager but I think it would be nice, visually at least, DOCKS. Please put a dock in the think tank.

Honestly! I would love in the far future players build like harbors and stuff with Docks, maybe in the future someone could like build randoms docks in the middle of the ocean to live at, or an even cooler idea, if they ever make like different islands of land, big servers full of players could have like harbors to go and trade supplies with other people on different lands!

1 hour ago, Superwolfkid said:

Honestly! I would love in the far future players build like harbors and stuff with Docks, maybe in the future someone could like build randoms docks in the middle of the ocean to live at, or an even cooler idea, if they ever make like different islands of land, big servers full of players could have like harbors to go and trade supplies with other people on different lands!

That would be my worst nightmare, the level of waste triggers me

Archived