The Strongman - Wolfgang Rework Ideas

Hey all,

So since Klei is making reworks for everyone, I kinda wanted to drop my 5 cents into the debate, mainly with a part of the trinity, the Strongman and none other than Mr. Wolfgang (von Goet- nevermind).

gdi7GU0.png

Let's start by getting his description

The Strongman
    "I am mighty! No one is mightier!"
    Wolfgang is an affable, musclebound giant with a heart plagued by a myriad of phobias.
  • Gets stronger with a full belly
  • Is afraid of the dark and monsters

And now for the actual perks

Wolfgang changes forms based on his Hunger Status from Wimpy to Normal to Mighty
With his new Forms he gains advantages/disadvantages, Speed, Health Changes, Damage Modifiers and Hunger Modifiers

Wolfgang's Sanity Drain is increased by 10%

Now these perks are kinda interesting, but not really. In my opinion basing something on Hunger makes them a food-hog, so that's already a negative impact.
So let's start with the first edit idea; Changing how his Form changes work.

bAlDsiH.png

Now Wolfgang's Forms are based on his internal workout value, which can be increased by training on Training Stations. The Longer you use these stations the more mightiness you gain but also lose more hunger (because we all know how Workouts can be exhausting). This value drains overtime, so you wont be mighty forever. The more careless you are about working out, the Wimpier you become and eventually land on the Wimpy Form.
Now for perks coming with these Workouts could be managed in many ways, I just showed ya a dumbbell station, but this could be expanded to a Treadmill and such. These stations give you buffs for stats, let's say you run a lot on the Treadmill, well your Speed Boost increases (needs a cap tho) if you lift a lot of dumbbells you gain a strength modifier. Now keep in mind Im not saying Wolfgang here, since these stations could be used by anyone! Of course our fellow survivors have no real idea how to use them, thus their increases from these stations are way tinier than Wolfgang's.

TL;DR crap the Hunger Based Forms and implement 'Mightiness' which controls the form swaps, add Stations to train modifiers

For his Forms, instead of flat changes, let's make them increase or decrease the caps/efficiency of the Modifiers. Let's say you are normal, so your benefits from training would be equal to the standard Wolfgang modifier, keep in mind we are keeping his from other characters to make him the character that benefits the most from them, if you are Wimpy these decrease to a normal Survivor's cap/efficiency, if you are Mighty then of boy you get yourself a strong increase!
Now controlling the forms actually benefits you a lot since you could run like a mad man or punch like you mean it!

TL;DR make his Forms improve or worsen the Benefits from the Stations

In addition to that, Wolfgang's Wimpy form would have a reduced movement speed as it is at the moment, Wolfgang's Normal Form should carry heavy objects such as statues slightly faster than others and Wolfgang's Mighty Form should carry them at normal speed, he's a Strongman, c'mon! as well as a flat increased Damage Modifier because he's mighty, DUH!

TL;DR have some forms special attributes regardless if trained

ZZj4phH.png

As for his Downside of having fear of Monsters, Night and Shadows, let's make it a bit more impactful, because 10% increase sounds like an effin' joke. Now Wolfgang's Sanity Drain during Dusk and Night are stronger, and maybe these times would even affect Wolfgang's Damage Output? This just keeps it basic to not make it too strong since you can't really control this in early game, but let's say even with a Tam during Night or Dusk you sanity wont increase, but also not decrease.
Wolfgang near monsters has a chance to drop his weapon out of fear, or get scared, whenever scared Wolfgang can not attack, forcing him to flee. The chances for these things to occur are tied to his Sanity/Insanity. If Wolfgang is completely Insane, he will be very likely to panic out, if he's completely Sane, he can handle it. Now will this majorly impact him? I think so! If you can't attack enemies that can attack you, you are a "sitting duck" (can't do anything in a fight), so you should keep Wolfgang sane to not make him too frightened of what he's seeing! Maybe even make a Group of Monsters freak wolfgang more out than a single enemy!

TL;DR Wolfgang should have a better downside, something that makes him less useful if overwhelmed/insane

That's all, it ain't much of a game changer, but makes Wolfgang less 2D in my opinion. Do you agree? Maybe not? Share your thoughts in the Comments, especially if you love playing Wolfgang. If we won't voice our Opinions now, we may recieve another not fully thought-out change just like Winona.

I just want the Mighty Wolfgang to be able to go into a “Throwing Pose” and then another player walk up to him and “Interact” with him to be Thrown.

You May think HELLLLL NO because this will lead to Wolfgang Grief players.’But then I bring up Wortox.. 

A Wortox Player has a “Hop” circle that shows where he will Soul Hop to, So the player who Interacts with Wolfgang can see Exactly where they will land prior to Interacting with him.

And as for “being tossed in Water or Lava Pits.. Wortox can’t do that so how is it any Different than Wolfgang?

Id also like to add that he only has the Strength to do this while in Mighty Form..

And in Addition to needing food to be Mighty let’s give him the Dumbell weight he has in lots of his illustrated images so he has to work out with that when he has free time. 

(Maybe he can be mighty on a 75% full stomach as long as he’s still working out?)

Just an Idea.

Also @FuffledBeeQueen Your Elevated Land topic got moved to Suggestions for whatever reason. :( 

Seriously, this looks pretty neat !

Having activities to augment your strength temporarily is a great idea if it have benefits for everyone in a server, which is what Klei is looking for the moment (it seems).

I just have a lil' recommandation, speaking as someone who've played Wolfgang a lot as well back in time :

I enjoyed the part of Wolfgang's gameplay that make him the Icebox emptier, since I always had too much extra food in stock, it was a great con for the "balance" and something logical in his personality, there's some very effective and strong diets used for fitness... so I don't think making him a complete unit from stations only is something that will satisfy everyone.

So here's my idea, using both diet and  exercise methods to fully augment Wolfgang's strength at 100%, but each of the two parts is capped to 50%. This way, you can decide to still relie on food, but decently, cause you won't have 200% damages from it. (Making btw others players to have the 50% damage bonus from training without the food benefits).

Guess that's good cause I don't think making him more spooked than before is a big deal, it still makes him terribly good against shadows... I'd like something about his fear more impacting, if you have any idea. :) 

2 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

TL;DR Wolfgang should have a better downside, something that makes him less useful if overwhelmed/insane

+1 from this alone (Although the rest of it is still a really cool idea). One thing that worries me from these reworks is that most of them have made their downside extremely minor, or simply countered by one of their perks. I find that it's their disadvantages that make a character more interesting then their perks.

5 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

+1 from this alone (Although the rest of it is still a really cool idea). One thing that worries me from these reworks is that most of them have made their downside extremely minor, or simply countered by one of their perks. I find that it's their disadvantages that make a character more interesting then their perks.

That's the reason I adore Wormwood with his (not as strong as in singleplayer) downside!

16 hours ago, mohamed159 said:

I think it will be a cool feature to the game,

But wii change many many things.

(and some people don't like big changes to the structure of the game).

This is something that people will just have to get over, I am not being mean in saying this... I mean that video games in this day and age can drastically change from what they once were when you originally bought it.

Sometimes it’s a good change, and then other times it’s a not so good change, but gone are the days of buying Super Mario Bros 3 and it still playing the same identical way 15 years after you bought it.

We live in an age where games are constantly being updated now with huge game changing content. Which is meant to take a game that feels stale and breath some fresh life into it, Sometimes even making it feel more like a Sequel than an Update.

Gone are the days of companies pushing out a sequel every single year.. 

just look at Minecraft, one only needs to compare Minecraft before the Ocean Update to The Current Minecraft with new swimming animations, under water Biomes, sea life and more.

Some people will LIKE these changes, Some people will HATE Them.

But as with everything in life... you can not please everyone all of the time.

On 19/02/2020 at 11:09 AM, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Now comesth the question, why was this Idea Thread Moved whilist all the other Idea Threads are still in General...

What I meant was, is this a confirmation that they have read your topic, is there more proof than that?
You already got their attention.

Archived