• Feastclops
  2. 2. Why?

• The Challenge
    • The Look of the boss
    • The Loot
    • The Mechanics of the fight
    • Music of the fight
    • For the Achievements

Yes, PS4 servers work in the same way. While i'm not 100% on this, i'm fairly sure a world can be switched from private to public, so you can bring people into an existing world/enter an existing world to complete boss fights as a team, if you so choose.

Of course we prefer to play on our own as well, and even still we aren't able to play for extended periods of time.

That being said, it would seem that asking Klei to rebalance boss fights depending on the amount of players on the server would be an unwise use of resources if its highly unlikely you will find people actively engaging in boss fights together, and the bosses in question are generally solo-able, right? Especially when a single player version of the game already exists (more or less).

Also, I'm throwing up an achievement option, I didn't think to add that earlier, thanks for pointing that out.

All that aside, the Bundling Wrap gained from the BeeQueen is worth the fight. Granted, I haven't fought her properly, I use the Bunny Method, which doubles as a great meat farm, worth checking out. 

You could just use Wintersfeast gift wrap, it does the same thing and you don’t have to fight Bee Queen to get it.

But you asked what I would like to see in a Boss Fight and I could provide a rough concept... but I highly doubt it would ever be actually possible in the realm of DST.

As I pointed out most fights boil down to just hitting something and then moving out of its way to avoid its attack. 

I want something MORE then that.. I want something that involves precise timing, clever thinking, spotting a Bosses weakness and exploiting it.

For most shooter games this boils down to simply (spot the bubbled Up glowing spot and shoot at it repeatedly.)

But there are many other games that harken back to old school slasher fighters like Castlevania with some pretty decent examples of Boss fights.

Even Mr Hand at the end of The Original Super Smash Brothers where it attempts to Smash you and you have to hit it while it’s vulnerable are good examples of Boss fights 

I imagine something like a gigantic skeleton that takes up most the screen that slams its hand down onto the ground you’ll have to dodge and carefully get between its fingers and to avoid being smashed & then attack the fingers while the hand is on the ground.

After a bit the fight progresses and it starts spawning Undying Skeleton Minions.. you can fight them all day long but they’ll just reassemble themselves and keep coming after you.

to get rid of them for GOOD you would have to hit them with a Deconstruction staff and then immediately rush in and light them on fire before they can reassemble themselves.  

Like I said probably not possible in DST..  

Ahhh, I wasn't aware Gift Wrap was craftable outside of Winters Feast.

As for your concept, I wouldn't say its not possible in DST. As we know Toad and apparently FuelWeaver offer a drastically different fight than most of the rest of the DST bosses. 

I would say that obtaining a Deconstruction Staff would act more as a progression check than your previous suggestion of bosses dropping keys or colored gems to be used as progression checks. I would personally prefer the former, as you can attempt to obtain a Deconstruction Staff whenever you like.

I really don’t get why people knock the idea behind The bosses dropping Door Keys or A vital survival item required in order to stay alive in a specific area of the game.

Imagine for example an Entire Island Walled off by unbreakable Pillars, And you had to set sail to the island and then drive your boat around the outskirts of the Pillared off Island until you found a gateway sealed off that required X Item from Y Boss fight to be inserted into the Gate. Once unlocked the Pillars that block off the island sink down into the ocean and this Island of Exceptionally Harder content is now accessible.

TL:DR Think Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider style expeditions. You need X Treasure to open the tomb for Y Treasure.

This allows newbies and experienced players to play in the same game season together without either players experience with the game being hindered.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I really don’t get why people knock the idea behind The bosses dropping Door Keys or A vital survival item required in order to stay alive in a specific area of the game.

With the key thing, there is just no reason for it. If you had a boss, and had a new area to access, you'd want to do both right? If the boss doesn't interest you, and the new area doesn't interest you, how does giving the boss a key that you need to access the area enhance the experience? 

I know you were calling for a reason to engage the bosses, and while I feel there is already ample reason, simply giving him/her a key, or any key like item is about the laziest reason. What if the system you were playing DST on shut off after x amount of hours if you didn't beat the boss? That would sure be incentive to beat a boss, but it doesn't make it fun.

On top of that I feel it creates a linear experience. You HAVE to do A before you can do B. Thats not what DST is about. You can do F before you do B, or you can do J M Z and say screw A and B all together.

On the topic of survival items, bosses already do drop items vital for survival. They are by no means required, but they make surviving much easier, allowing your time to be spent in more advanced endeavors.

Again, a hard "you have to have this thing to do this other thing" just feels boring. If you need to beat a boss to get a piece of armor to survive on an island, why even give the armor? Just say beating the boss made the island safe. Save me the inventory space. 

As it stands now you have various options to deal with various problems. You don't really ever NEED 1 thing, you can improvise and get creative.

I get what you are saying, I just feel it's opposed to what DST is all about, and once again, forced content isn't necessarily good content.

There is also this-

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Imagine for example an Entire Island Walled off by unbreakable Pillars, And you had to set sail to the island and then drive your boat around the outskirts of the Pillared off Island until you found a gateway sealed off that required X Item from Y Boss fight to be inserted into the Gate. Once unlocked the Pillars that block off the island sink down into the ocean and this Island of Exceptionally Harder content is now accessible.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:03 PM, Mike23Ua said:

What I DO NOT Agree with AT ALL is a Boss Fight that once completed will Regenerate the world or make things harder.. 

I honestly have trouble keeping track of your position on various topics from day to day

The thing is the boss is meant to act as a Learning Curve if you will.. 

You have to know how to do X before you can survive the mobs and dangers of new island Y.

Its not meant to lock anyone out of playing new content... unless that new content is specifically geared towards more experienced players and doing X Objective Signifies that your ready for the incredible new dangers of Y New Content Biome .. and then in that case by all means that content shouldn’t be so easily accessible to players who aren’t ready to even be in that area. Hopefully you get what I’m saying.

——————————

TL:DR it’s very similar to Adventures mode in single player DS, You can’t go where you haven’t yet learned the knowledge TO Go.

But at the same time.. doing Y event shouldn’t make the ENTIRE game world harder either because that just makes less experienced players who join your worlds game that much harder for them to play and enjoy with you.

46 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

TL:DR it’s very similar to Adventures mode in single player DS, You can’t go where you haven’t yet learned the knowledge TO Go.

But at the same time.. doing Y event shouldn’t make the ENTIRE game world harder either because that just makes less experienced players who join your worlds game that much harder for them to play and enjoy with you.

That all sounds like it takes away from the whole "uncompromising survival game", something I know you are fond of. It also robs a new player of the excitement of being somewhere they maybe aren't suppose to be yet, obtaining items that may be beyond what they are suppose to have at the time, and possibly learning more than if their hand is held and they are kept "safe" until they are "ready".

2 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

That all sounds like it takes away from the whole "uncompromising survival game", something I know you are fond of. It also robs a new player of the excitement of being somewhere they maybe aren't suppose to be yet, obtaining items that may be beyond what they are suppose to have at the time, and possibly learning more than if their hand is held and they are kept "safe" until they are "ready".

Okay then how would you balance the game so that casual content can co-exist within the same game world as Experienced player content? Without Sacrificing one over the other.

The only Solution I could even possibly come up with was giving boss fights a key or an item that lets you access continually progressively harder and harder content.

My favorite Boss fight as I said was Feastclops, but imagine An island where miniature Pigmen Sized Baby Feastclops live and are common and they have the same Eye Lazers of Feastclops Boss but with a lot less health and damage.

22 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

Whaaaaat? How do you obtain it outside of the event?

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You could just use Wintersfeast gift wrap, it does the same thing and you don’t have to fight Bee Queen to get it.

13 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Ahhh, I wasn't aware Gift Wrap was craftable outside of Winters Feast.

12 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Correction: it isn't.

50 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

And that locks the server out of the new Events correct?

Sadly yes I do believe so. But that’s okay!! I love glowing Eyed Totally Normal Trees, Bats appearing when you chop trees & pig villages full of Jackanterns just enough that I’ve dedicated an entire server save slot to them! :) 

Antilion for his unique fight . Even with his low hp could be dangerous

dragonfly for his enrage form, her larvaes and the multiple ways to fight her: walls, ice staff, insulate arena+tanking, etc. But only with her loot you have excuse to kill her xD

klaus for his loot,  his theme (i ******* love it) and for being an example of what kind of move set i want to see in the next bosses

Beequeen: the same as dragonfly+ how hilarious its the bunny metod

Fuelweaver: just epic and its so fun that you must have a lot of gadgets to fight him. Also a ******* nightmere to solo (i tried 1 time and die cuz i run out of lazy explorers xD)

I didnt try Toadstood yet but i watched how it is and im impatience to farm the weather pains for defeat that venusaur. I read people complaining about his loot but i think its a good loot (maybe the fight is to hard to get a lamp but unless its funny). I want more bosses that you need tools to take them down. Like birchnut tree ward, i really enjoy fighting them. 

but in my heart will be always my first tree ward or how spiderqueen trailer hype me

Feastclops is so cool.

I really like him.

The way you have to move in order to avoid the laser!

I wish we had more bosses like him.(Moose Goose with sonic screams that can push you character away, Bearger jumping towards the player or a big bite,please Klei) 

Antlion fight is also amazing. The cage, burning the spikes, the fact that it can heal if you avoid him for a while. The way you start the battle with a frozen thermal stone.

Why Deerclops of course :'D

Because this is the only one i can actually defeat

Nah, in all honesty, I've been playing this game for many years now, and even if new bosses are fun, complex and more challenging than my dear Clops, the satisfaction after killing him for the first time was off the scale. 

43 minutes ago, Cytrynozaur said:

Why Deerclops of course :'D

Because this is the only one i can actually defeat

Nah, in all honesty, I've been playing this game for many years now, and even if new bosses are fun, complex and more challenging than my dear Clops, the satisfaction after killing him for the first time was off the scale. 

That moment when you realize that you are tired of running and hidding and decide to defend what is yours

for me, it toadstool , WHY?

1. The battle takes place underground and the area is always dark, it becomes a challenge
2. earthworm attack
3. unique fighting methods (must cut down trees / burn trees, avoid rocks falling due to earthquake, avoid shadow creatures)
4. Has a lot of hit points so that the battle becomes longer and tense
5. The gifts received are also interesting (hats for not easily hungry, lights and sleep bombs) interesting
6. Damage boss is quite damaging

Bee Queen is also interesting, but I can get rid of it easily

klaus, unique but not too challenging (but I still like it)

FuelWeaver? a very powerful and unique enemy, but I can defeat it with 1 Houndius Shoting and 5 Fleshy Bulb (I know it's cheating, but I only play this game myself)

deerclops? ez ( just tank it with wolfgang/wigfrid )
dragonfly? i still enjoy
goose / moose? come on
beargear? ez 

trean? boring

spiderqueen? ez

1 hour ago, Willywo said:

for me, it toadstool , WHY?

3. unique fighting methods (must cut down trees / burn trees, avoid rocks falling due to earthquake, avoid shadow creatures)

FuelWeaver? a very powerful and unique enemy, but I can defeat it with 1 Houndius Shoting and 5 Fleshy Bulb (I know it's cheating, but I only play this game myself)

It's like avoiding rocks during an earthquake and dealing with shadow creatures does not occur while being underground.

Did you know that you can easily kill Toad by setting up a few flingos and avoid most if not all of his abilities, so he becomes as bland and boring as the other bosses you (I suppose) cheese? 

Hey, you only play by yourself. That's a valid argument right?

Archived