Suggestion for a change in the survival aspect

Hi, I had an idea that would change the way you would play in dst. I didn't think that Klei would change something, but according to the last part of dst 2020 Road map, they will, now listen callously!

Long ago there was an discussion about What if Klei was to ad Squid Ink, what it would be used for. I have a Idea:

1. Get reed of the map at the beginning of the game and replace it with a "Memory", it would be a temporary map that would restart every time a new days begins.
  2. New Crafts to the cartographers desk: "The Map"- It would ad the all known map BUT it would be empty till you wroth in it with "The Ink set". The set is craftabel with 1 feather pencil and 1 Squid Ink, that would drop with ~50%. The set would have persentege and you could use it in the map icon, what it would do:give an effect for the day "rewrite", making all of this day "Memory" fixed in the map.

This would make finding a good place for Base more difficult and would require players to go to the sea to find squids, remember that the player has to preper for winter so I would do it as an option by world generation. And I understand that it would be difficult to combine with mini maps and already existing words, but in OnI Klei did a god job to changing old files to new content! Also I just had an other idea: Malbatros feathers with ink would give an effect for longer!

Would you want to see something like this in the game?

Yes, this will fair excellent with bulk of player-base, that huge mass of casuals barely reaching winter - not to mention pi$$-off experimented players even more with no end-goal aside making game artificially-and-unnecessary tedious. With this suggestion - yeah, I know, DST: Suggestions and Feedback is not hip and doesn't bring in traffic so f-it - most likely vast mass of them newbies/noobs will only walk in circles to ultimately camp at gate where your random N+1 grifer pops, torches/hammers all stuff, laughs maniacally at the poor schmucks looking dumbfounded how their lil work gone up to kingdom-come in seconds and quit game even more quick'n'hard than present shenanigans. So no, I don't see this fish-memory (Alzheimer?!) condition implemented at all.

^^^ a bit Harsh don’tcha Think?

in a more polite response: I don’t like this idea, But the Reason WHY I don’t like it is because Klei can focus all their time and attention on other things, Like Character Refreshes, New Skins, New Biomes, More Lore Etc..

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

^^^ a bit Harsh don’tcha Think?

in a more polite response: I don’t like this idea, But the Reason WHY I don’t like it is because Klei can focus all their time and attention on other things, Like Character Refreshes, New Skins, New Biomes, More Lore Etc..

Your answer isn't polite. It just is a short, neutral statement of your personal opinion; and not really argued with facts regarding OP's proposal, only own wishes related to totally different content - basically "I don't like your idea 'cause I like something else devs should do".

Spoiler

Most polite would be a phrasing akin to "Well my good forumite, you see, I don't actual fancy your proposed idea, although I must admit the thoughts so eloquently tallied above intrigued my wits in a very positive way. Still a permanent fog-of-war wouldn't be a too auspicious setup for our not-so-experienced dear co-survivors out there in them wild-wild pubs. Anyway keep the good work and do share more of your mind's musings! Cheerio!" - with the obligatory cherry on top :cupcake:

Mine was sarcastic - sarcasm is life, the joy of small things with horns. No? Oh, the wonders from current year!

Again: a semi-permanent fog-of-war requiring some mid-game item while basically running in the proverbial dark at beginning only rises the bar for new players even more, theoretically thinning bulk of player-base further than current DST difficulty-degree. And have I said is annoying for the rest? Oh dear me, my memory slips away with each passing day!

Basic estblished conveniences should not be changed.

Using a map isnt part of the games difficulty, experienced players would remember where everything is regardless, and any newer player would have no easy landmarks or map markers to go off of, and would need to scour the crafting menu for a basic convenience, which requires materials they couldnt keep track of because they have no map...

It would be more task clutter for new players and a slight inconvenience for experienced players.

Adjusting the idea a bit..

What if we had an event where the areas outside of your character's vision range regenerates with a different seed? Using Wumpair's idea to prevent a section of the world from regenerating. The biomes would probably be a complete mess though lol

42 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

A question I have: how will this new idea interact with existing elements of the game which affected the map, e.g. Moonlenses, Moon Dials, Compasses, Ocuvigils, Lazy Deserters and the like?

Better Question, How Would that even work on anything outside of a High-End incredibly Spec’d Out PC?

Theres only so much that a Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Console can do before they spontaneously explode.. 

I’m pretty sure that’s the same reason Consoles do not yet have the Hamlet DLC or Wagstaff Playable Character.

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Better Question, How Would that even work on anything outside of a High-End incredibly Spec’d Out PC?

Theres only so much that a Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Console can do before they spontaneously explode.. 

I’m pretty sure that’s the same reason Consoles do not yet have the Hamlet DLC or Wagstaff Playable Character.

I think you are *severely* underestimating those consoles, which are built to run modern high-end games,

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I heard God of War and RDR2 were made for consoles. They are way more demanding then DST. 

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

There's a difference between spec limitation and porting over...

I think that Klei doesn't yet have the plans to port over Hamlet with Wagstaff

1 hour ago, Desblat said:

I heard God of War and RDR2 were made for consoles. They are way more demanding then DST. 

GoW & RDR2 run on a different engine then DST.

Defiantly not a fair compression by ANY means, because if it was- DST would run much more smoothly without lagging you right back into the center of a group of Enemies you had already escaped once.

As much as I love DST.. it could defiantly use a few improvements.

And my Point with Wagstaff- Was that his “Limited & Blurry Vision” would be a Mechanic that would not be as easy to perform on an Xbox One as it is on a PC, if it were.. we would’ve defiantly already had him by now Don’t y'all think?

21 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

GoW & RDR2 run on a different engine then DST.

Defiantly not a fair compression by ANY means, because if it was- DST would run much more smoothly without lagging you right back into the center of a group of Enemies you had already escaped once.

As much as I love DST.. it could defiantly use a few improvements.

And my Point with Wagstaff- Was that his “Limited & Blurry Vision” would be a Mechanic that would not be as easy to perform on an Xbox One as it is on a PC, if it were.. we would’ve defiantly already had him by now Don’t y'all think?

The graphics needed to run GoW, RDR2, Dark Souls 3, GTA 5, Doom, Halo and more, plus all the textures and objects that have to be loaded because they're open-world, 3D games need insanely higher processing power compared to a Don't Starve Together session even with sticks, seeds, rot and rocks all over the map. GTA 5 is the most prime example with entities, objects and AI all over the map - and not only does it work as intended, it also makes Los Santos feel like an actual city with all the lovely interactions.

And sure, they may be run on different game engines, but DST's engine definitely has lower processing demand, because as aforementioned their graphics, codes, etc are not as demanding.

Lastly, I don't get your argument about Wagstaff's visual effect not being easy to perform on an Xbox One. GTA 5, for instance, has Night-Vision. FPS games have bloodovers. Wagstaff's nearsightedness filters should work as intended if the aforementioned graphic changes with other games should, as again it takes even less processing power to execute.

As for the delay with characters and content being delivered to consoles, I have no idea as to why, but I don't think processing power should be a reason.

Uhh huh, I would agree with all that except for World Gen Sizes on Xbox One actually don’t have a Setting for anything above Big.

And when it comes to choosing None, Lots Less, Less, Default, More, & Lots More as Item World generation Options- Consoles STOP at Default. 

Clearly there ARE Limitations for us.. sadly. But I already knew that.

I just hope that Klei finds a way to someday make all those options, the Hamlet DLC and Playable Wagstaff available to us.

Your PC/console can struggle with DST the same way as Minecraft if there is too much of something in your screen. To test it you can leave a server open for AFK skins and let people have free crafting, after a few hours if you don't clean the world it will be awful to walk in there, bonus points if you have tumbleweeds and birds on lots. Or just spawn a (few) thousand(s) grass and put it on fire to watch the game go below 1fps.

Archived