Battery Heat Math Question

You'd need to use Large Batteries rather than Smart Batteries, I'd think.

You'd probably also need a "double floor" of Mesh Tiles for the Batteries to sit on, and then an actual floor of solid Tiles underneath, to ensure the Batteries can't ever be Flooded.  Or use the...  Submersible Batteries(?) mod, that has an equivalent set of Batteries and Transformers that can be submerged without becoming Flooded.

33 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

I can do the calculation when I get home, but transformers have no runoff and generate infinite heat, so you could answer the second question "yes" if you use those instead.

Ah. That is why I do not find transformers under "power wasted". I have been wondering about that.

Hem, one turbine is removing 877.59 kDTU/s for 850W net positive power.

So to keep one turbine up 100% max charge, 100% uptime, you would need 877 transformers. (I'm not even taking into account turbine cooling system to deal the 91.76 kDTU/s produced).

9 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Finally something I can do with all that empty space on my asteroid!

9 tiles per transformer (including 3 tiles for the floor, so 3x3)

877 transfomers means 877x9 = 7 893 tiles

Map size is 384x256 = 98 304 tiles

That means it needs a steam room, which is filling up 8% of your map (more, because of neutronium snipping you've got less than 98 304 tiles total), and a single turbine on top, which is going to hoover the heat over 5 tiles only.

Also you'll need 175 400kg of refined metal (better have a metal volcano).

That definitely sounds... cosy.

11 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

You'd need to use Large Batteries rather than Smart Batteries, I'd think.

You'd probably also need a "double floor" of Mesh Tiles for the Batteries to sit on, and then an actual floor of solid Tiles underneath, to ensure the Batteries can't ever be Flooded.  Or use the...  Submersible Batteries(?) mod, that has an equivalent set of Batteries and Transformers that can be submerged without becoming Flooded.

The goal should be to maximize DTUs per joule, not DTUs per battery. 

Smart batteries produce 500/0.667 = 750 DTUs per joule.  

Jumbo batteries produce 1250 / 3.3333 = 375 DTUs per joule.

Therefore, using smart batteries is better for this purpose, but both are power-negative.  The batteries would need to produce at least 1032 DTUs per joule to be power positive.  Of course, using small transformers is infinitely better for this purpose, but then you don't get power storage. 

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

The goal should be to maximize DTUs per joule, not DTUs per battery. 

Smart batteries produce 500/0.667 = 750 DTUs per joule.  

Jumbo batteries produce 1250 / 3.3333 = 375 DTUs per joule.

Therefore, using smart batteries is better for this purpose, but both are power-negative.  The batteries would need to produce at least 1032 DTUs per joule to be power positive.  Of course, using small transformers is infinitely better for this purpose, but then you don't get power storage. 

I was originally thinking regular batteries.

They would also take less space

4 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

I was originally thinking regular batteries.

They would also take less space

Actually, regular batteries are just as good as smart batteries for this.  They have 750 DTU/joule conversion rate.

25 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Actually, regular batteries are just as good as smart batteries for this.  They have 750 DTU/joule conversion rate.

Yeah I guess the only remaining question Is are Steam Turbines  more efficient at lower temps / blocked inputs. 

I assume not, so I guess this will always be an Energy loss. However, Using it for energy storage at least it recoups a significant amount of power leak. 

3 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

Yeah I guess the only remaining question Is are Steam Turbines  more efficient at lower temps / blocked inputs. 

Nope.

3 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

I assume not, so I guess this will always be an Energy loss. However, Using it for energy storage at least it recoups a significant amount of power leak. 

Don't use batteries for storage, store the fuel and turn the generators on/off when needed.

Archived