What makes character con good/interesting?

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Look I’m just gonna say it- I’ve never seen an Old Lady past her 60’s have trouble with not being able to sleep... usually it’s the other way around. They can’t help but fall asleep at random occasions & sometimes in the middle of conversations.

Would be hilarious if Wickers Rework has her randomly falling asleep.. (though that would probably get really annoying really fast.)

Insomnia means having difficulty falling or staying asleep at night. It tends to worsen as we age, and insomnia is a common problem among older adults. As many as 50 percent of people report having trouble sleeping. However, when researchers study insomnia, they may not include older adults in their studies.

Have you ever seen an old lady summon lighting at a robot, summon tentacles from nothing and basically violating space-time itself?
Me neither.

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah but Clumsy doesn’t sound fun at all it just sounds annoying as hell TBH- “Doggies are Approaching..” 

You- “Opps I dropped my Spear and my Football Helmet fell off my head, Clumsy Me Hehe!”

I mean just when you are crafting an item, not when you're wearing or using it.

21 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Have you ever seen an old lady summon lighting at a robot, summon tentacles from nothing and basically violating space-time itself?
Me neither.

I thought it was a common sight.

1 hour ago, Superlucas1231 said:

But what's stopping klei to give Wicker the option to just lay down on a mat without gaining/losing any stats though? She can literally just lay on the ground and "fake sleep" to get the gifts instead of having a backwards workaround which requires you to farm Klaus.

It makes even less sense when you consider the fact that Wigfrid can eat hallowed nights candy even though her perk flat out says she can only eat meat. 

I'm not that well-versed with the lore, but I suspect that Charlie, or who/whatever it is that brings the gifts to the tree would know whether or not someone is asleep under the tree in the first place. Either that, or Klei believes that it would be too advanced to implement a circumstance for her to sleep under the tree than it's worth to break the consistency of her insomniac trait.

On a sidenote, Wigfrid can't actually eat all the Hallowed Nights candy, she refuses to eat the raisins, lavapepper and not-so-candycorn. I would guess she can eat the other candy because a lot of candy is usually animal-based, such as gelatin being made of pig fat and skin or chocolate usually being composed of milk, etc...

I can't speak on behalf of her entire diet, as there are some fallacies like being able to eat Taffy, but not the honey it was entirely made from.

48 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Me neither.

Uh but I’m willing to bet you money that you HAVE.

You ever watched Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings, Little Mermaid?

I rest my case. :D 

(hey don’t blame me cause you didn’t specifically say rather or not it was in reality or in movies..)

1 hour ago, Bronzebot said:

I'm not that well-versed with the lore, but I suspect that Charlie, or who/whatever it is that brings the gifts to the tree would know whether or not someone is asleep under the tree in the first place. Either that, or Klei believes that it would be too advanced to implement a circumstance for her to sleep under the tree than it's worth to break the consistency of her insomniac trait.

On a sidenote, Wigfrid can't actually eat all the Hallowed Nights candy, she refuses to eat the raisins, lavapepper and not-so-candycorn. I would guess she can eat the other candy because a lot of candy is usually animal-based, such as gelatin being made of pig fat and skin or chocolate usually being composed of milk, etc...

I can't speak on behalf of her entire diet, as there are some fallacies like being able to eat Taffy, but not the honey it was entirely made from.

What is being put in the caramel apples for them to be considered a "Wigfrid friendly" snack tho

also, if Wigfrid can eat meals that come from animals but isn't actually made of meat, then what the hell is stopping her from eating waffles? A recipe that requires eggs and butter. Does see have a phobia of waffles? Did her mom died while making waffles? Did her dad choke on a waffle and died? Is she literally an behemoth that eats whatever the hell tastes good to her with next to no consistency? 

I just hope at the very least Wickerbottom has a less expensive way to get gifts. Using 1 mandrake to have a chance to get a handful of gears is a terrible trade while other characters get that gamble for free. 

38 minutes ago, Superlucas1231 said:

What is being put in the caramel apples for them to be considered a "Wigfrid friendly" snack tho

also, if Wigfrid can eat meals that come from animals but isn't actually made of meat, then what the hell is stopping her from eating waffles? A recipe that requires eggs and butter. Does see have a phobia of waffles? Did her mom died while making waffles? Did her dad choke on a waffle and died? Is she literally an behemoth that eats whatever the hell tastes good to her with next to no consistency? 

I just hope at the very least Wickerbottom has a less expensive way to get gifts. Using 1 mandrake to have a chance to get a handful of gears is a terrible trade while other characters get that gamble for free. 

THANK YOU.

5 hours ago, Superlucas1231 said:

But what's stopping klei to give Wicker the option to just lay down on a mat without gaining/losing any stats though? She can literally just lay on the ground and "fake sleep" to get the gifts instead of having a backwards workaround which requires you to farm Klaus.

It makes even less sense when you consider the fact that Wigfrid can eat hallowed nights candy even though her perk flat out says she can only eat meat. 

You could switch characters at the Celestial Portal for the night instead of farming mandrakes, if you don't want to give up sleeping under the tree just because you play Wickerbottom. It'd be less hassle as long as you've already found the celestial orb, and unless you're on a RP server or something you can switch back afterwards with minimal disruption. 

In a PvP server you could also get another player to shoot you with sleep darts, but most public servers aren't PvP enabled and the ones that do are generally intended specifically for fighting. 

1 minute ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

Tbh I don't even use the tree, it's easier for me to go and get the things I want from their sources than to get the chance to get something alright from a winter's feast tree drop. Also, I just don't go near the things because I would be too tempted to chop it down.

Username checks out. 

wolfgang's unspoken true con is hunger drain

first of all, (non-mighty) wimpy wolfgang is awful. you do 50% attack damage (yes, even worse than wes/wendy) and you move at like 90% speed (and we all know how valuable movespeed is in this game). Which means ideally you sit above the 100 hunger threshhold.

If you are above the 100 hunger threshhold, then you lose hunger 50% faster and have functionally regular wilson stats. which means that to play wolfgang and not be in trash mode you need to work harder to maintain hunger which is a weakness. To access higher forms, the drain only goes higher up to 3x the hunger drain, which is a weakness.

I know a lot of us don't see the extra hunger as a weakness with how food issues get solved in this game but it does require the player to work extra to compensate which is exactly what any characters weakness entails.

Personally I don't see the extra sanity drain as wolfgang to be his primary weakness, more like a slight sanity adjustment since wolfgang naturally finishes fights faster so he won't have to deal with sanity loss from fighting monsters with negative sanity aura as much; similar to how wendy's sanity modifier compensates for her spending more time in battle due to her damage modifier making her finish fights slower.

also apparently webber was left out of OP's list, but his main weakness from what I've seen is definitely the 100 max sanity (which I've seen many spin as an upside which is fair) which is the lowest in the game which means you need better sanity management skills to not passively go danger into the danger zone from regular night time (it also makes him go insane when rez'd as a ghost very quickly which is also a negative). He also can't use bunnymen/pig men to help with labor/boss fights and whilst spiders can be used for bosses, it tends to be not as good especially for aoe scenarios. And of course he can't use bunnymen as a food source but personally I see that as a non-factor given how webber just naturally has no hunger issues due to his affinity for monster meat.

Personally I don't think every character necessarily needs a permanent weakness, much rather, they can be naturally vanilla but have weaknesses/costs built into accessing their powers. Wicker's actual weakness is that using any of her books drains sanity and this is in addition to not being able to sleep or prototype to fix sanity which means the sanity problem needs other sources of control or management to handle. Woodie even in singleplayer is just a better wilson if you play him cleanly with good pacing on lucy usage but to use his true werebeaver strengths comes at a massive cost to all of his stats and his inventory. Wendy also falls into the boat of not really having that much of a weakness but the strength of using and managing abigail is what makes her tricky to play; you have to make sure abigail doesn't die and make sure that if she does fall the flower is recovered (or re-made).

As aforementioned, downsides which make you play the game differently but do not necessarily cripple you are downsides which are generally considered enjoyable.

I'd like to throw in my two cents with saying that I somehow like downsides that directly attack the player instead of tweaking the character such as Wagstaff's nearsightedness. The game is certainly playable without having to utilize Wagstaff's eyewear, and technically he doesn't have much weaknesses ingame (and the delicate stomach problem being easily circumvented). However, it still presents enough of a problem to the player themself such that they are forced to deal with it.

45 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

As aforementioned, downsides which make you play the game differently but do not necessarily cripple you are downsides which are generally considered enjoyable.

I'd like to throw in my two cents with saying that I somehow like downsides that directly attack the player instead of tweaking the character such as Wagstaff's nearsightedness. The game is certainly playable without having to utilize Wagstaff's eyewear, and technically he doesn't have much weaknesses ingame (and the delicate stomach problem being easily circumvented). However, it still presents enough of a problem to the player themself such that they are forced to deal with it.

I would really like glasses not to take head slot. It doesnt make aby Sense for me. 

Archived