Drakeo not eating balm lilly

It used to be that reed fiber was only used for atmo suits so I never bothered trying to ranch normal drakeos and got more reed fiber than I could possibly use by accident trying to ranch glossys, but now that they are needed for insulation and carpet, I finally decided to try growing balm lillys and ranching regular ones.  They won't seem to eat them though.  At first I thought they couldn't reach them since they are in planters rather than in farm tiles in the floor ( decided to insulate the room since they want to be at least 35 C ), so I lowered the ceiling to see if they could reach it from there but still no dice.

20200106211929_1.thumb.jpg.6b700f1726e756ec6a8e18c3901113c6.jpg

28 minutes ago, Promethien said:

When the poster knows the solution to their problem but makes a post anyways what is the appropriate response?

Highlight maybe?

35 minutes ago, psusi said:

They won't seem to eat them though.  At first I thought they couldn't reach them since they are in planters rather than in farm tiles in the floor

Dreckos need to be able to walk over the plants. You need to plant in tiles.

Yep you need a farm tile or the planter needs to be next to a wall.

I found that you can combine the balm liliy good with wild dreckos. You can fully automate them (beside shearing) and you get meat, phosphor, balm lily (ether for dirt composting or medicine) and egg shells. (well a thin chlorine layer is required. I prefer wild peppernut but its more a personal choice ^^)

They are quite fast while tame but the manual labor is quite high. 

A big farm of a mix of wild and "tamed" balm liliy is far faster with less dupe time. 

10 hours ago, bleeter6 said:

Dreckos need to be able to walk over the plants. You need to plant in tiles.

Ohh, I thought they could eat from them if they could reach from the ceiling...  damn that's annoying.  Well I guess I can actually set the farm tile on top of the insulated and they will just climb up onto it.  I originally had it in the floor but didn't want to have another layer of insulated tile underneath it.

19 hours ago, Promethien said:

When the poster knows the solution to their problem but makes a post anyways what is the appropriate response?

He does know a solution, but he has a reasonable desire to do this without the use of farm tiles, namely saving space while remaining insulated.  Planter boxes make sense for that goal, but unfortunately they have significant imperfections.

8 hours ago, psusi said:

Ohh, I thought they could eat from them if they could reach from the ceiling...  damn that's annoying.  Well I guess I can actually set the farm tile on top of the insulated and they will just climb up onto it.  I originally had it in the floor but didn't want to have another layer of insulated tile underneath it.

There is a benefit for the dreckos eating the food from a wall.  You can set it up so that the balm lilies have only 1 tile of chlorine, thereby increasing the amount of time dreckos are in the hydrogen.  Recall that dreckos only regrow when in hydrogen, so if you stack water and chlorine at low pressure and put high pressures of hydrogen above, then they will spend more of their time in hydrogen regrowing scales.

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

There is a benefit for the dreckos eating the food from a wall.  You can set it up so that the balm lilies have only 1 tile of chlorine, thereby increasing the amount of time dreckos are in the hydrogen.  Recall that dreckos only regrow when in hydrogen, so if you stack water and chlorine at low pressure and put high pressures of hydrogen above, then they will spend more of their time in hydrogen regrowing scales.

I'm just keeping one room with chlorine to groom and breed them, and sending the rest to go hungry and glum in the hydrogen.

Archived