Overheating on boat and at Desert

I have played don't starve and recently purchased DST and found that there are more season in SST than DS. I somehow surviving summer now and want to know that Will I have to build endothermic firepit on boat to roam in Sea or overheating will not effect in boat?

I am asking because in some videos I have seen that people are building farms and chests on boat.

Also someone told me that overheating is not an issue at desert. Is that correct ? 

Thanks for the help :D

From what I've seen, it's smoldering that's not an issue in the oasis specifically. Overheating occurs everywhere, even in the caves, though it's slower there. You can overheat on the boat as well. That said, there are alternatives to an endothermic fire. For example, you can build an icebox on a boat and keep a thermal stone in there and also a cold one in your inventory and swap them out.

Here's more detailed information: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Overheating

Wildfires do not happen when you are in the sandstorm in the Oasis desert.  The desert with the tumbleweeds and dragon fly boss still has wildfires.

Wildfires and overheating both do not happen in caves.  I like to base in caves to avoid these issues rather than base in Oasis or build a lot of flingomatics, but those are all good options for summer.

For the boat I typically sail in autumn or winter myself...  but if I had to sail in summer I would do a fridge with 2x thermal stones.  This way I can just switch one to my inventory and avoid overheating.  Ice Chester also works.

Also - since you're new to DST - you might notice thermal stones have durability.  They only lose durability when they return to neutral temperature.  As long as they stay hot or cold they won't lose durability.  However you can also repair these with a sewing kit or tape.

An advanced and elaborate technique is to use four Lureplants to extend the effective range of Ice Flingomatic. The game mechanics always have the Lureplant smolder before anything else. Since the Lureplant will smolder before anything in its entire coverage area, placing a lure plant just at the edge of the Ice Flingomatic range will extend the protection further out. Note that this will not help when dealing with direct fire blaze.

basicly you can get a lureplant onto the boat and dont worry about smoldering anything besides the lureplant. just kill the lureplant and replant it as soon it is starting to smolder.

Oh, yeah!  Don't Starve Together just automatically has the Reign of Giants seasons on by default, so if you came from regular Don't Starve _without_ that expansion pack, you can indeed be whapped upside the face by it.  Jacksepticeye, for example--he only played regular Don't Starve (as his much quieter, slower-talking "American"-accented 2013 version) and then skipped straight to Shipwrecked ("TOPofthemornintoya my name is Jacksepticeye, and WELCOME BACK to SHIPWRECKED!")  _without ever having experienced RoG in between_.  Shipwrecked does also have four seasons, but he never lived long enough to find that out...

And so then when he did an (unfortunately very short) DST run with Robin, he was just blummoxed and confazzled by _everything_ that was new, DST-only AND RoG alike.  "There's a birch forest now!  What are these raccoon things? There's deserts?!  Wait, there's a water meter when it rains now--was that there before?"  ROBIN:  I'm being chased by a...dirt.  A moving dirt.

All of which is to say that I get why people might be confused/surprised:  DST is NOT vanilla Don't Starve with multiplayer-version add-ons.  It is EXPANDED DS with multiplayer-version add-ons.

Anyway, overheating is of course a seperate problem, but wildfires...sometimes you don't find gears in time to make a fling-o-matic.  Especially if you randomise the seasons and/or use Huge worlds, like me.  And you ALSO don't find the oasis.  Buuuuttt...since it turns out that The Constant apparently runs off of the Strong Anthropic Principle (nothing can happen UNLESS there's intelligence there to observe it) you can preserve your camp against burning down by simply...not being there!

Yep.  I often go nomadic in the summer, carrying along supplies for both cold AND normal fires (for cooking) and living off the non-withered parts of the land.  It ain't ideal, but it's better than losing everything.

...Notorious

8 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

From what I've seen, it's smoldering that's not an issue in the oasis specifically. Overheating occurs everywhere, even in the caves, though it's slower there. You can overheat on the boat as well. That said, there are alternatives to an endothermic fire. For example, you can build an icebox on a boat and keep a thermal stone in there and also a cold one in your inventory and swap them out.

Here's more detailed information: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Overheating

you can also use a luxury fan  to prevent fire on boat if the iceflingo doesnt fit

10 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Can boats combust? I never actually tested it. I know the components can (mast, wheel, anchor, etc.) But can the wooden platform itself combust?

Definitely; if you build a campfire (not a fire pit) on your boat, you can see the smoldering spread pretty quickly.

Archived