Are the Lunar People "Them"?

Note: I posted this here because it would not let me post in story/lore. Extra Note: I posted this because I spent so much time on this I wanna post it anyways.

You might be wondering, who in the hell do I mean by "Them" well, recently watching Zeklo story overviews and theories, (Though they are old, some of the information discussed can still be relevant I do believe.) I have become interested in this part of the story. If you haven't already, I recommend Zeklo's videos "Who is the Fuelweaver?" and "Who is Metheus?" to understand more I guess. Correct me in any way if I'm wrong about anything I state, but from my understanding, the ancients were once a thriving people that were destroyed by the use of nightmare fuel. The Fuelweaver's statements suggest that the power was given to him and that he was once king- Hold up I gotta stop right there, I just realized Zeklo has posted a video about this, please go watch it, and the others, I hope I did also help some people fill in some blanks. Haha, so sorry. :<

-Loli

No wonder the glass cutters are stronger against  "Them"

aka Moon power is stronger then nightmarefuel (i believe)

The official Chinese name of this update (by KLEI, of course) is 旧神归来, which means Return of the Elder God(s) or Elder God(s) Returning in English. So as a Chinese player, I can tell you Them are the Elder Gods in Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft, which also exists in many other aspects, e.g. sanity. (This is also mentioned in the trivia part of the respective wikia page, do note that the page states Cthulu Mythos, which I guess is probably a typo.) Another proof is that it is about Return of Them, thus Them can't be the already existing shadows/nightmares, instead Them should be the moon things, especially the newly added contents.

(The following are some of my analysis of my shallow understanding of Cthulhu Mythos and some discussion from Chinese forums, please excuse me if I'm not correct.) The shadow/nightmare things are the Great Old Ones, which are visible when the players are insane. And the lunar things are completely opposite, they are the Elder gods (which is indicated in the Chinese name). This concept also explains the relation between the shadows/nightmares and moons, which is just similar to that between the Great Old Ones and Elder Gods

On 2019/12/31 at 10:08 PM, Viktor234 said:

Perhaps the Lunar People are "Them", as the updates are focused on the ocean and on the moon.

But Perhaps the Lunar People aren't "Them", since a lantern does not keep them away:

image.png.b21adbe18f93326fdfe4d9fed14fc8cc.png

Perhaps in this situation, the lunar things haven't returned, so people are unaware of it, and the boundary between concepts of shadows/nightmares and moons was vague. The most obvious proof is that flowers turn to evil flowers in all DS DLCs, but in DST they don't. So Them is also used to represent shadows/nightmares (= moons) at that time. But with the introduction of DST, especially RoT, the boundary becomes clear, thus they are totally different now.

The whole thing's a chess board, Them is not a singular entity. Them is referring to multiple parties, one side playing with the black pieces (shadows), the other side playing with the white pieces (lunar). It seems after this nightmare throne gets hit with a huge surge of dark, nightmarish power from a new queen, the other side finally got kicked into making their move, hence why all this is starting to happen now. Or at least, that's my thought on it, lovingly stolen from like 80 different people.

Or, I guess it could be one single entity purposely manipulating both sides, which ultimately results in more chaos in the middle, which is where the players are. If They crave amusement after all, then that would certainly be one way.

When Return Of Them was announced I originally thought that it referenced the "Moon" and lunar stuff, but then I looked back at some old announcement and promo images and saw this. Return Of Them could also mean the return of the Shadow and Lunar magics/entities.upcoming_promo_sm.thumb.jpg.dbacdd9422f98685a5475456c10c7780.jpg

It's similar to whats on the ancient murals and Maxwell quotes the shadow creatures as them and the gestalts and moon idol by they.

Obelisk_face3.PNG.thumb.png.6d9ad2fd531670064d653efb688daf5c.pngObelisk_face4.PNG.thumb.png.9c7af01c04d04f1ba6330ab3c5fa9a34.png

celestial gateway.jpg

I was always under the impression that "They" are the shadows. The only person to refer to "Them" that I know of, that is, with a capital T, is Maxwell. And he mostly mentions them when he's confronted on the Throne in the adventure mode of single player Don't Starve. The implication seemed to me to be that "They" are the shadowy things that manifest or at least become visible as you get more and more insane. Maxwell says that he stays dapper because it's not good if "They" get too close.

That said, he also says that "They" will "show you terrible, beautiful things," which isn't unlike the promises that the Gestalts seem to be offering and the whispers that may be coming from the Lunar Altar. Though it would also make sense of the shadows showed him things to convince him to keep using the Codex Umbra after he first came into possession of it after the train wreck. So that might still be a shadow thing.

So, I think that "Them" is whatever it is that has possessed/transformed Charlie, and whatever it is that put the Codex in Maxwell's hands to begin with, and whatever it is that dragged them both to the Constant, which all seem to be the shadowy things that appear when you're insane.

But I'm not super well informed about the lore of the Fuelweaver and Metheus and related things, so perhaps there are clues there that suggest some other identity of "Them."

11 hours ago, fpx007 said:

The official Chinese name of this update (by KLEI, of course) is 旧神归来, which means Return of the Elder God(s) or Elder God(s) Returning in English.

Well, There's another possibiliy——terrible translation.

Official chinese has lot of bad translation. Especially the lore part. Gatekeepers, GateRealm and The Cryptic Founder didn't show up in translated version. The Constant even have three different Chinese name.

Yes. "They" utilize some Cthulhu things, but chinese translation doesn't trustworthy. (And I don't think klei will copy cthulhu mythos.)

sorry for my english :p

On ‎2019‎-‎12‎-‎31 at 4:54 AM, littlexloli said:

Note: I posted this here because it would not let me post in story/lore. Extra Note: I posted this because I spent so much time on this I wanna post it anyways.

You might be wondering, who in the hell do I mean by "Them" well, recently watching Zeklo story overviews and theories, (Though they are old, some of the information discussed can still be relevant I do believe.) I have become interested in this part of the story. If you haven't already, I recommend Zeklo's videos "Who is the Fuelweaver?" and "Who is Metheus?" to understand more I guess. Correct me in any way if I'm wrong about anything I state, but from my understanding, the ancients were once a thriving people that were destroyed by the use of nightmare fuel. The Fuelweaver's statements suggest that the power was given to him and that he was once king- Hold up I gotta stop right there, I just realized Zeklo has posted a video about this, please go watch it, and the others, I hope I did also help some people fill in some blanks. Haha, so sorry. :<

-Loli

I think that Moon and They are two opposite powers that fight each other.

On ‎2019‎-‎12‎-‎31 at 4:54 AM, littlexloli said:

"Who is the Fuelweaver?" and "Who is Metheus?"

It is probable The fuelweaver was a ancien king and Metheus was his wife. Ancient race was destroyed by tchem using portal and nightmare fuel and Moon had nothing to do with it.

On 2020-01-01 at 5:31 PM, fpx007 said:

The official Chinese name of this update (by KLEI, of course) is 旧神归来, which means Return of the Elder God(s) or Elder God(s) Returning in English. So as a Chinese player, I can tell you Them are the Elder Gods in Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft, which also exists in many other aspects, e.g. sanity. (This is also mentioned in the trivia part of the respective wikia page, do note that the page states Cthulu Mythos, which I guess is probably a typo.)

I don't think They are literally the same Elder God characters Lovecraft wrote about, especially since that name isn't used in the English version. I think it probably just means that "Them" was too hard to translate directly, so the translators borrowed the name of a similar concept from another author.

On 2020-01-01 at 11:26 PM, kiwikenobi said:

The only person to refer to "Them" that I know of, that is, with a capital T, is Maxwell. And he mostly mentions them when he's confronted on the Throne in the adventure mode of single player Don't Starve.

The Fuelweaver also has dialogue referring to Them with the capital letter, and it's part of Battlemaster Pugna's monologue from the Forge, mainly because he seems to think the player characters are trying to take over the Forge for Them. (If you play on PC you can open the strings.lua file in the scripts folder to confirm this, and Pugna's lines are faithfully reproduced in the Forged Forge/Reforged mods; if you play on console I think all you can do is find a YouTube video from the event.)

The Fuelweaver dialogue is interesting. I think its dying quote, "You are not Them..." is of particular interest. We may not know who "They" are, but the Fuelwaver at least know who "They" are not. It's unclear who its talking to when it says that, though. Possibly the player characters, possibly Charlie, since one of its other death quotes is, "Release me, shade!" while what seem to be Charlie's rose vines latch onto it and drag it down, and a rose is left where it last was. Either way, it's interesting.

Pugna's stuff is much more confusing, since he talks a lot about "Them" as if he expects the player characters to already know all about them. All the things he says about the throne and "Them" and "Gatekeepers" seems to only raise more questions while answering none.

Personally, I'm beginning to wonder if both the shadows and the lunar creatures are "Them." Just two sides of the same coin, so to speak. The shadows that attack you when you're insane and the gestalts that try to put you to sleep when you're enlightened may be the exact same beings, just they appear differently depending on whether you're on lunar land or not, and whether you're at one extreme mental state or another.

Archived