A New Use for Ice Staffs and Chilled Amulets

So, my idea is simple: Ice staffs could freeze water tiles so you can walk on them, they'd melt over time, but not in winter;
Chilled amulets when equiped would allow you to walk on water, similar to Minecraft's frostwalker enchantment.
not sure if it's possible to do, but the ice tiles would be slippery too.

EDIT
Chilled amulet would run out way faster when walking on water.
Ice staff would require multiple hits to freeze a water tile.
Heat sources, such as thermal stone, torches, lighters, campfires, etc would melt the ice.
To prevent boats from being griefed, ice would break easily when hit by a boat.
you would be slower than a rowing boat with no speed buffs walking on the ice.
more than X(3-5) creatures would crack the ice.

While thinking, I also came up with another idea, instead of freezzing water tiles beneath you with the Chilled amulet, it would make a very small (1 tile wide) ice boat that you could use to row with more speed, but it would be super fragile, give me your toughts!

I could see this going from very good idea to a grievers new favorite play thing depending on how likely a boat is to smash into them and sink.

We kind of can easily Predict Willow on the boat is going to set it on fire.. but What absolutely NO ONE is going to see is some Innocent looking Wurt or Wormwood using an Ice staff to recreate the sinking of the Titanic.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I could see this going from very good idea to a grievers new favorite play thing depending on how likely a boat is to smash into them and sink.

We kind of can easily Predict Willow on the boat is going to set it on fire.. but What absolutely NO ONE is going to see is some Innocent looking Wurt or Wormwood using an Ice staff to recreate the sinking of the Titanic.

Easy, you see an ice staff, you see that wurt or wormwood as suspicious.

Really we shouldn't balance the game around griefers, just remember Willow pre-rework...

I was joking, but I would actually absolutely enjoy seeing this particular scenario played out, mostly just because I want to Xbox record it and become rich when it goes viral all over YouTube. That would be Absolutely Hilarious to be part of and I wouldn’t even be mad at the player for doing it. I would probably be too busy rolling on my floor laughing so hard I cry.

7 hours ago, O_Atoba_Azul said:

So, my idea is simple: Ice staffs could freeze water tiles so you can walk on them, they'd melt over time, but not in winter;
Chilled amulets when equiped would allow you to walk on water, similar to Minecraft's frostwalker enchantment.
not sure if it's possible to do, but the ice tiles would be slippery too.

oh boy, another way to completely ignore sailing? How enjoyable! 

theres only two way to explore ocean without sailing

being a ghost or playing as woodie

as a ghost you can't do anything other than relocating, also need to revive in some way after done exploring

playing as woodie you need to give up your main or use celestial portal, which is equally tedious as using ideal boat

and honestly this seems balanced to me since

1. the path will melt unless you are exploring in winter,

2. requires magic tab

3. ice staff's durability isn't reliable to use on making path/chilled amulet will require your chest slot

They seem too cheap to make, why would i even bother with boats if i only need 1 blue gem and can run around in the ocean without trouble of sinking and losing items. Boats are already quite slow and annoying to use, if this was added i don't think people will keep using the boats.

3 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

They seem too cheap to make, why would i even bother with boats if i only need 1 blue gem and can run around in the ocean without trouble of sinking and losing items. Boats are already quite slow and annoying to use, if this was added i don't think people will keep using the boats.

What's your ideas on how to make boating less annoying? 

30 minutes ago, Desblat said:

What's your ideas on how to make boating less annoying? 

The boat is really hard to control solo(even with 2 players it is a pain without voice comms) and we can't really use boats from shipwrecked because you don't have the same dangers and waves wouldn't work with the current boats.

The boats are fine overall as long as there is no new mechanic like freezing water introduced into the game, you only need to go and gather resources from lunar island and often times don't need to go back there unless you are going to base on the island.

I am not against this being added, i am against it being so cheap to do.

Archived