Creepiness and more content

Helloo! 

I think the game should me much creepier, that the player would have the chills when running trough dark. We know Klei is able to make stuff scarier, perfect example: The Screecher. A don't starve mod which is story based, but imagine, some parts of the game made scary that you would want to encourage yourself to go fight that boss or decide to run away. Some mobs could follow you (like Mandrake, but far away and peeking from trees), creepy music playing, like the end table (when following you in the darkness), those are just a few examples but Klei could make their own choices depending on what they want to add.

In addition to that, I think the game needs some more stuff in it. Mainland seems empty, sometimes there is not much stuff on the screen (only 2-3 trees and a grass tuft), this makes exploring boring. More setpieces and variety, mob variety, more different mobs, more items, items to collect twigs and grass tufts with (maybe a sythe), I like the game very much, the artwork and everything, but the mainlands are too empty, good luck to Klei and have a good Christmas time :)!

Skreecher2.png.c0eaa48bddee5492df9ef68d1e3843b1.png

Totally agree (with the first part). DST has the potential to be much creepier. I always wanted creatures that lurk on the edge of darkness with unpredictable behavior. Maybe they would actually wait for the player to be alone or weak ; wait for the shadow hands to extinguish the fire :o. Like, you know he's coming. 

As for your addition, I am not sure it feels that empty,  but I see what you mean. For me, turning trees to "more" as always been a must. It's not like it makes the game easier, it just fills the screen with more nature.

I only want some blood in the game, no not ridiculous Mortal Kombat amounts of gore, maybe something like a Blood Splattered Dress so I can get my creepy little Shining Twins vibe going on, a Machete with some blood on it Jason Vorhees himself would enjoy, and a Moon Dail Fountain that’s reskinned to be a Gothic Vampire drinking fountain where the water is replaced with blood.

This game is rated 13 and up and it has very little if any content for ages 13 and up- MINECRAFT a game made for children, Intended for Children and with an E for everyone rating has more freaking scary content at the moment From Netherpigs with half their flesh missing, down to Pennywise the clown skins covered in Blood Spats.

It is clear that DS needs to step out of their Comfort zone..

another thing DS could probably burrow for Minecraft is Texture packs- for those of you who actually play Minecraft you know that these change the look of almost everything in the game but overall they still serve the same core gameplay function.

So for this to work in Don’t Starve- let’s imagine reskinning the Birchnut Biome into a Japanese Sakura Land, the floor is covered in pink petals, and Birchnut trees get replaced with the Gorges bright Pink Sugarwood Trees.

The Biome still serves the same Core game purpose, you still go there and collect a food substance from chopping down said tree.. it only LOOKS different but it’s probably just enough of a change to feel new.

Here are 2 examples for the emptiness, like i feel there should be less of those empty spaces and filled w something new, animal burrows and such for more types animals, maybe a fox or a bear, something to make the game more alive (that includes nature too, so different new bushes, trees).

417170a2da8dd4ce026965435515aebe.jpg

f5f94d89fc67b77d6ad083a7edc60b89.jpg

12 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

Good point, DST is a rather tame game despite having insanity as a feature. Nothing really freaky happens when you go mad, and I've heard insanity is a really, really scary experience. :wilson_curious:

A Sanity rework in itself is desperately needed.
Seeing players prefer to be insane alone tells you something is missing from the mechanic.

4 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Seeing players prefer to be insane alone tells you something is missing from the mechanic.

Whats missing is creepiness and scary elements :D when shadows are lurking and scaring you, then you dont want to be insane all the time.

Actually the The Screecher is a good solution, when you are insane, he starts following you trough woods or smht :D the possibilitys are wide

26 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I think insanity as a mechanic works fine, scary stuff leaves you with a impact that forces you to do something even after you have defeated the monster. What needs to be changed is the consequences of insanity. Have a steady progression for each player that steadily increases in numbers and difficulty of shafows where it reaches it's peak in fighting a boss akin to a Revenant in d&d, or a boss that will never leave yoi alone and will keep getting stronger the longer you don't deal with it.

The Revenant can only be harmed with moon glass cutters and has the Hp of toadstool, but has no damage  resistence and doesn't regenerate. The moon glass citter is the only armor that can actually harm the beast and a new armor will also be needed to protect against it (Moon Glass Suit: The lack of pain means it's working. The suit has a durability of 600 due to it still being glass and would protect the user from 75% of damage. When using against shadows, the insanity aura will be nullified, the protection will go up to 95%, and will lose durability at a 1/4 of the rate. The shadows include anything the Glass Cutters works on). The Revenant would be a mighty foe that requires a ton of prep and would be a huge pain in the ass to deal with. In extange, you get absolutely nothing except having your insainty stages reset. This boss isn't meant to be killed, its meant to be avoided.

The Revenant will spawn after 10 total days of insanity after a shadow manipulator has been made/A ancient psudo science station (broken or completed) has been used as to give new people a chance of dealing with insanity while also tying the progress to "technological" advancement. The Revenant will also spawn 5 days after killing fuelweaver reguardless of time speant insane, and will also spawn if you use the Skeleton Helm or Nightmare amulet for 5 total minutes. There will be a warning that signals his arrival and will reach you after 1/2 a day so you can prep for him. Sorry for the tangent but I fell as though this concept might work.

23 minutes ago, RRektK said:

Whats missing is creepiness and scary elements :D when shadows are lurking and scaring you, then you dont want to be insane all the time. :D

Eh. If you get ised to being scared them it doesn't really affect you. If you played fnaf, then you know how the effect of being scared slowly loses its effect on you.

I disagree that DST is empty, but I do think that it should be more creepy. I don't want it to turn into an actual horror game, but I wouldn't mind some creatures in the dark, some creepy music soundtracks, random events that can't be logically explained, etc. I personally think that more creepy stuff in the game would make it a lot better.

idk, I don't play DST to be scared.  Its not a story driven game like Silent Hill, nor is it a game where you're hunted by demons like Dead by Daylight.  Its kinda a casual survival game with a gothic styling.  Its like Nightmare Before Christmas.

i do actually agree with this somewhat! although i don't think we need to add much new stuff, or jumpscares, or any of that. I think don't starve could definitely be made unnerving, and one thing could be added to accomplish that task, that thing being background ambiance. kinda like the occasional unsettling ambiance you hear when playing minecraft, for example. you'd be minding your own business, but suddenly you hear a sound that envokes a feeling of slight dread and mystery. the kind of sound that makes you paranoid that something is coming. 

Archived